Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

And what the hell was Mike Flynn's brother doing anywhere near anything having to do with a possible security situation on the day that Mike Flynn called for martial law to be declared?

I remember seeing a short mention of this a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything at all since that mention.

Yeah, that definitely was troubling. I hope anyone who attempted to thwart the security protocols leading up to this is thrown in jail for sedition.

Not doubting you, but, source?

Here you go

The commanding general of the Washington, DC, National Guard testified Wednesday that he did not need authorization from Pentagon leaders before deploying troops in response to protests at the nation's capital last summer but that changed in the days before the January 6 insurrection.
    The shift in guidance, according to DC National Guard Commanding Maj. Gen. William Walker, was communicated in a January 5 memo that stated he was required to seek approval from the Secretary of the Army and Defense before preparing troops to respond to a civil disturbance.
    "It required me to seek authorization from the Secretary of the Army and the Secretary of Defense to essentially protect my guardsmen," he told senators during a hearing on security failures related to the Capitol building attack.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/03/politics/us-capitol-riot-hearing-dhs-fbi-pentagon/index.html

Can you clarify which dictionary you got that definition from?

Dictionary.com defines gender as "either the male or female division of a species, especially as differentiated by social and cultural roles and behavior:"
    Merriam Webster defines gender as " the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex"

Both seem to clearly indicate the gender refers to social and cultural norms, and not physical biology.

From the link:
    gender noun
    Save Word

To save this word, you'll need to log in.
    gen·der | \ ˈjen-dər
    \
    plural genders
    Definition of gender

(Entry 1 of 2)
    1a : a subclass within a grammatical class (such as noun, pronoun, adjective, or verb) of a language that is partly arbitrary but also partly based on distinguishable characteristics (such as shape, social rank, manner of existence, or sex) and that determines agreement with and selection of other words or grammatical forms
    b : membership of a word or a grammatical form in such a subclass
    c : an inflectional form (see inflection sense 2a) showing membership in such a subclass
    2a : sex sense 1a the feminine gender
    b : the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex
    c : gender identity

If you follow the link in the highlighted text:

From the link:
    sex noun
    \ ˈseks\
    Definition of sex

(Entry 1 of 2)
    1a : either of the two major forms of individuals that occur in many species and that are distinguished respectively as female or male especially on the basis of their reproductive organs and structures

Further, dictionary.com indeed says "either the male or female division of a species, especially as differentiated by social and cultural roles and behavior:"

Especially does not equal exclusively. Even further, right below that text, there is a link to https://www.dictionary.com/browse/sex

Are we done here?

And what the hell was Mike Flynn's brother doing anywhere near anything having to do with a possible security situation on the day that Mike Flynn called for martial law to be declared?

I remember seeing a short mention of this a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything at all since that mention.
    Yeah, that definitely was troubling. I hope anyone who attempted to thwart the security protocols leading up to this is thrown in jail for sedition.
    Why did the Pentagon lie about Mike Flynn's brother's role in the January 6 response? (msnbc.com)

Strangely enough, there was an ad to watch this clip at the bottom of an article I just read. I guess that's why the reporting on it stopped, the Pentagon lied and said he wasn't there. I want to know why too.

Reading that article, it's really not clear what exactly caused the delays. It wasn't stated specifically who issued the memo and who specifically changed the policy. It seems to have come from the OSD, but I'm not 100% sure. It also could have come from the Army Combatant Commander. And I do wonder if the WH had anything to do with this as well. Had to start somewhere.

So we've pondered whether the insurrectionists may have been in communication with congressional members in the days leading to the riot and now investigators are looking at it to. Heads should roll of they find that a member or members of Congress either knew or conspired, heads should roll and be buried...

So we've pondered whether the insurrectionists may have been in communication with congressional members in the days leading to the riot and now investigators are looking at it to. Heads should roll of they find that a member or members of Congress either knew or conspired, heads should roll and be buried...

Buried? Not on pikes like in GOT? :hihi:

But seriously, impeachment and jail should be in the cards for anyone found coordinating this. That said, I doubt anyone in Congress was stupid enough to leave evidence behind that they did this, if they actually were involved.

But seriously, impeachment and jail should be in the cards for anyone found coordinating this. That said, I doubt anyone in Congress was stupid enough to leave evidence behind that they did this, if they actually were involved.
    Stupid enough. Have you seen the people who keep perpetuating this crap?

Stupid enough. Have you seen the people who keep perpetuating this crap?

Yes I have, but those in Congress aren't gonna put their own necks on the line. Maybe they're that stupid, but I'd be surprised.

And as much as I hate those idiots, until proven otherwise, I'm assuming they didn't plan this.

Oh, I can think of at least one...

They have to wait until they round of the Pope, and he's one slippery bastage.

It’s the hat.

Fingers crossed...Tommy Tuberville

Ok ???

As I said, traditionally... nowadays a distinction is made between sex and gender, but that was not so in the past. It also depends on context.
    While this is all an odd tangent, I agree. There is a reason folks call it "gender identity" and not "gender". It is a nuanced distinction.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom