Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

If he did that, and I don’t believe your sources for one second, he will make it right. Are we fine with Fuentes now, though? Is he a good example of a Trump supporter?
    Never got an answer to these questions. This guy had dinner with Trump at Mar-A-Lago.

Never got an answer to these questions. This guy had dinner with Trump at Mar-A-Lago.

"I want a Christian nation where I can tell stupid bitches to shut the fork up."

What?

"I want a Christian nation where I can tell stupid bitches to shut the fork up."

What?
    This is not a fringe view among the Christian right.

They want to bar women from ever having any authority over a man, no instructing, teaching, supervising men. No-fault divorce is another thing they want to eliminate. As is birth control, except for that controlled by the man.

Women shouldn’t vote, unless they vote the way their husband instructs them to vote.

I‘m probably forgetting some things.

The sad reality is that the shooting of Ashli Babbit likely is the catalyst that stopped the whole thing. That put the entire thing in perspective for a lot of people who were all riled up, and who had not thought of the reality of where everything was headed.

This is not a fringe view among the Christian right.

They want to bar women from ever having any authority over a man, no instructing, teaching, supervising men. No-fault divorce is another thing they want to eliminate. As is birth control, except for that controlled by the man.

Women shouldn’t vote, unless they vote the way their husband instructs them to vote.

I‘m probably forgetting some things.

So not likely to vote for Nikki Haley then?

So not likely to vote for Nikki Haley then?
    Exactly. I don’t have a clue how many evangelicals follow this line of thinking, they call themselves “trad” I think. I’ve seen women refer to themselves as “trad” wives. It means they probably don’t work, they vote for whoever their husband tells them to, if they vote at all, and they do every bit of cooking, laundry, housekeeping and childcare. I saw one who was all up in arms about women who expect their husbands to take a turn with diaper changes and night feedings.

They would all vote for Trump I imagine.

The sad reality is that the shooting of Ashli Babbit likely is the catalyst that stopped the whole thing. That put the entire thing in perspective for a lot of people who were all riled up, and who had not thought of the reality of where everything was headed.
    The thing that struck me as the most delusional was the guys repeatedly telling the armed agents needed to take a breath and stop pointing their 9mm's at them. How does the gravity of the situation not sink in when several people have their guns pointed at you in unwavering resolve?

If you ask someone several times to stop pointing their guns at you and they don't, you leave while you still can.

Last edited:
    From Nancy Pelosi
    ==============

The sixth of January is the date prescribed in United States law for Congress to count the electoral votes in the presidential election. It is an occasion of high drama with specific requirements: the security of the mahogany boxes containing the states’ Electoral College certificates; the timing of the joint session of Congress, called to order at 1 p.m.; the precise rules that spell out that the debate on objections to the count shall proceed “clearly and concisely.”

On January 6, 2021, my daughter Alexandra brought her two sons to the Capitol to witness this historic occasion of a peaceful transfer of power. My grandsons did witness history that day, just not the history anyone expected.

The former president had long planned for the nullification of the election, sowing doubt about the results even before ballots were cast and challenging the results in the courts. So before the joint session, we prepared for the possibility of objections to the Electoral College votes by Republican members of Congress. It was clear that the results from Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin would be the targets. Representative Jamie Raskin of Maryland strategized with members of Congress from those states about how we would respond to and defeat the objections on the House floor, based on the facts and the laws.

The joint session on January 6 was called to order at 1 o’clock by the vice president. The first Republican objection to a state electoral vote came with Arizona. During that debate, at about 2:15 p.m., my security detail rushed to the speaker’s chair and told me that I had to leave immediately. We left so fast that I didn’t even have time to bring my cellphone with me.

Having failed to overturn the election results in the courts or in Congress, the president had resorted to insurrection in the Capitol. A violent mob—enflamed by the “Stop the Steal” rally held by the former president—had marched to the Capitol, broken through the outer police barrier, and reached multiple entrances to the building. Smashing in windows and breaking down doors, they stormed inside, seeking to disrupt the peaceful transfer of power.

More than 2,000 rioters made it inside the building. Some in the mob were yelling “Hang Mike Pence”—angry that the vice president refused to follow the former president’s diabolical order to overturn the election results. At the same time, the massive crowd swarmed outside my office chanting “Nancy, Nancy, Nancy,” even screaming about wanting to put a bullet in my head.

I was awed by the courage of the Capitol Police and the D.C. Metropolitan Police, defending our temple of democracy and protecting the people inside. Sadly, 140 police officers were injured by rioters. Many sustained long-lasting physical and emotional scars. Some officers later lost their lives.

I feared for those law-enforcement heroes, as I feared for my members, the congressional staff, the workers who maintain the Capitol, the press, and the others who were present that day. Their stories are harrowing—and demonstrate extraordinary courage.

Because of COVID, not all members could participate on the House floor. Jason Crow of Colorado was in the gallery with a group of members and journalists when the building was breached. A former Army Ranger, he snapped into action, telling them to leave their belongings behind, get down on the floor, and crawl toward a secure doorway where they could escape. As the mob outside pounded on the doors—some say it sounded like a battering ram—he even prepared them to use their pens as weapons, if needed. Jason, of course, was the last to leave the gallery.

I would learn, in heartbreaking detail, about what my own team endured on that day. These young staffers—some of the most civic-minded, patriotic folks you’ll ever meet—nearly came face-to-face with the rioters. For two and a half hours, they crouched in a small conference room with the door locked and barricaded, the lights off and in complete silence. As the savages tried to force their way in, my staff was forced to reckon with the possibility that they might never see their loved ones again..............

This is how much like the Taliban the Christian Nationalists are:

If the guy who caused Jan 6th and us still lying about it wasn’t running again I’d be more likely to agree

If Hillary was running again you’d hear about emails and Benghazi non stop
    ======================

Utah Senator Mitt Romney warned President Joe Biden against campaigning on Donald Trump’s actions relating to the Jan 6 attack on Congress in an interview this week, arguing that voters are weary of conversations about it.

It was a surprising remark to come from Mr Romney, who is retiring this year and has been one of the few GOP electeds in Washington to side against the former president from his own party in the wake of the latter’s efforts to stop the peaceful transfer of power to the rightful winner of the 2020 election.

The senator voted for Mr Trump’s conviction in both impeachment trials, and has consistently battled members of his own party who have lied about or otherwise sought to whitewash the tragic and shocking violence of the attack.

Speaking with The New York Times, Mr Romney warned against using January 6 as a campaign theme for Mr Biden’s re-election bid, calling it a “dead political horse”.

"Jan 6 will be four years old by the election. People have processed it, one way or another," he said. "Biden needs fresh material, a new attack, rather than kicking a dead political horse."……..

If the guy who caused Jan 6th and us still lying about it wasn’t running again I’d be more likely to agree

======================

Utah Senator Mitt Romney warned President Joe Biden against campaigning on Donald Trump’s actions relating to the Jan 6 attack on Congress in an interview this week, arguing that voters are weary of conversations about it.

It was a surprising remark to come from Mr Romney, who is retiring this year and has been one of the few GOP electeds in Washington to side against the former president from his own party in the wake of the latter’s efforts to stop the peaceful transfer of power to the rightful winner of the 2020 election.

The senator voted for Mr Trump’s conviction in both impeachment trials, and has consistently battled members of his own party who have lied about or otherwise sought to whitewash the tragic and shocking violence of the attack.

Speaking with The New York Times, Mr Romney warned against using January 6 as a campaign theme for Mr Biden’s re-election bid, calling it a “dead political horse”.

"Jan 6 will be four years old by the election. People have processed it, one way or another," he said. "Biden needs fresh material, a new attack, rather than kicking a dead political horse."……..

I'd say it's situational. There's no precedent for how to campaign against a one-term President whom you defeated last time.

"This dude already had his chance and he completely wet the bed." Is a valid strategy. But you do need more.

I'd say it's situational. There's no precedent for how to campaign against a one-term President whom you defeated last time.

"This dude already had his chance and he completely wet the bed." Is a valid strategy. But you do need more.
    Yeah, beat the J6 drum, just do it sparingly enough. Do more indeed.

I think abortion and SCOTUS issues are more compelling to voters right now.

======================

I think Romney is more worried that if Biden stays on the message about Trump it's going to cost the Republicans in down ballot elections, especially Congress. He's right to be worried about that, because almost every single Republican candidate is going to endorse and defend Trump which will cause a lot of them to lose their elections. The Republicans that don't endorse and defend Trump are going to be targeted by Trump and his devotees which will cause almost every single one of them to lose their elections.

I think Romney wants Republicans to gain or maintain power more than he wants Trump to not be President. I think Romney is more worried about a backlash against Republicans than he is about Trump winning the election.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom