Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

The clock had just struck 9pm when Jeff Sabol, a Colorado man accused of dragging a police officer down a flight of stairs at the US Capitol on January 6 and beating him, placed a call from inside Washington’s jail.

Dozens of yards and several layers of concrete and razor wire away, on E Street Southeast, Tommy Tatum, a hulking Mississippian who had been present at the Capitol on January 6 but not arrested, stood with a microphone in one hand and a cellphone in the other.

“Hey, are you guys out there? We’ve had some technical difficulties for a variety of reasons,” Sabol’s voice rang out from the phone and over a sound system, drawing cheers from a group of about 15 people who had gathered, carrying American flags and wearing shirts with slogans such as “Abolish the FBI”.

Sabol’s voice grew echoey, and the sounds of others filled the room behind him. “Thirty seconds!” he cried.

And then, the two groups, one confined behind the jail’s walls over charges they attacked the Capitol in a failed attempt to keep Donald Trump from losing power and the other made up of their friends and loved ones on the sidewalk outside, sang the American national anthem in unison: “O say can you see …”

Thus concluded the 303rd evening of the “Freedom Corner”, perhaps the only regular public protest by Trump supporters in America’s capital city, where the demand is accountability – not for the former president, but for the government they believe is persecuting them……..

“These are really good guys. They’re fathers, they’re uncles, they’re veterans. Most of them have served this country. They fought for us, they fought for our freedom,” said Helena Gibson, a regular attendee of the vigil who was present at the Capitol on January 6 but said she did not enter the building.

“Because these are really great amazing mentors, stand-up men, they don’t deserve what’s happening to them.”……

How has this guy not been disbarred already?
    =================

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Attorney John Eastman, a lead architect of some of former President Donald Trump’s efforts to remain in power after the 2020 election, faces possible disbarment in disciplinary proceedings that began Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Eastman faces 11 disciplinary charges stemming from his development of a dubious legal strategy aimed at helping Trump overturn the election by disrupting the counting of state electoral votes.

The State Bar Court of California will hear testimony, including from Eastman, in a proceeding that could result in him losing his license to practice law in the state. Others who will testify include Greg Jacob, a former attorney for then-Vice President Mike Pence. Jacob had pushed back against Eastman’s plan to have Pence stop the certification of Joe Biden’s victory. Pence didn’t have the power to overturn the election and has said so.

In a memo critics have likened to instructions for staging a coup, Eastman argued that Pence could keep Trump in power by overturning the results of the election during a joint session of Congress convened to count electoral votes.……

How has this guy not been disbarred already?
    =================

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Attorney John Eastman, a lead architect of some of former President Donald Trump’s efforts to remain in power after the 2020 election, faces possible disbarment in disciplinary proceedings that began Tuesday in Los Angeles.

He has proven himself to be a criminal lawyer. He's more than likely a target of the Jan 6 investigation, disbarment is the least of his worries.

A new Senate committee report sharply criticizes the FBI and Department of Homeland Security for what it says were failures to believe the intelligence tips they were receiving in the run-up to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol — offering fresh examples, nearly 2½ years later, of warnings and information that went unheeded.

The report by the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee’s majority staff, titled “Planned in Plain Sight,” expands on previous findings, including reporting by The Washington Post, about red flags missed in the weeks leading up to the pro-Trump riot that delayed Joe Biden’s certification as president.

It also contains additional instances and context for what the authors describe as a failure by federal intelligence officials to believe the many warnings they received.

The 105-page report said the FBI and DHS Office of Intelligence and Analysis “failed to fully and accurately assess the severity of the threat identified by that intelligence, and formally disseminate guidance to their law enforcement partners with sufficient urgency and alarm to enable those partners to prepare for the violence that ultimately occurred on January 6th.”

The document sheds new light on the many different types of warnings the FBI received — from nongovernmental organizations tracking extremism online, from the public, and from its own field offices.

Days after the riot, The Post revealed the existence of a Jan. 5 report from the FBI’s Norfolk office warning of online discussion of attacking Congress. But the Senate report includes a similar, previously unknown written warning issued that same evening by the New Orleans FBI office…….

A new Senate committee report sharply criticizes the FBI and Department of Homeland Security for what it says were failures to believe the intelligence tips they were receiving in the run-up to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol — offering fresh examples, nearly 2½ years later, of warnings and information that went unheeded.

The report by the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee’s majority staff, titled “Planned in Plain Sight,” expands on previous findings, including reporting by The Washington Post, about red flags missed in the weeks leading up to the pro-Trump riot that delayed Joe Biden’s certification as president.

It also contains additional instances and context for what the authors describe as a failure by federal intelligence officials to believe the many warnings they received.

The 105-page report said the FBI and DHS Office of Intelligence and Analysis “failed to fully and accurately assess the severity of the threat identified by that intelligence, and formally disseminate guidance to their law enforcement partners with sufficient urgency and alarm to enable those partners to prepare for the violence that ultimately occurred on January 6th.”

The document sheds new light on the many different types of warnings the FBI received — from nongovernmental organizations tracking extremism online, from the public, and from its own field offices.

Days after the riot, The Post revealed the existence of a Jan. 5 report from the FBI’s Norfolk office warning of online discussion of attacking Congress. But the Senate report includes a similar, previously unknown written warning issued that same evening by the New Orleans FBI office…….

It's crazy, they simply didn't believe these people would do anything that serious. It's crazy because it happened with the backdrop of all the rhetoric from Trump and Co., A planned speech by Trump on January 6th, and the congregation of all the people within the Capitol building that day.. including all the people Trump blamed for helping to orchestrate the stealing of the election from him.

I've mentioned this before, but I had a conversation with my dad maybe a month prior to January 6th where we were talking about it all and I told him I didn't believe Trump would ever admit he lost because his ego couldn't handle being called a loser and it was so dangerous because his supporters believe everything he's telling them. He asked me what I thought would happen and I said I wasn't sure, but attacks on state Capitol buildings or something wouldn't surprise me.

I didn't completely nail it there but fork, as we moved toward January 6th the atmosphere projected so much potential for violence and insurrection that it's just crazy they didn't take it seriously.

It's crazy, they simply didn't believe these people would do anything that serious. It's crazy because it happened with the backdrop of all the rhetoric from Trump and Co., A planned speech by Trump on January 6th, and the congregation of all the people within the Capitol building that day.. including all the people Trump blamed for helping to orchestrate the stealing of the election from him.

I've mentioned this before, but I had a conversation with my dad maybe a month prior to January 6th where we were talking about it all and I told him I didn't believe Trump would ever admit he lost because his ego couldn't handle being called a loser and it was so dangerous because his supporters believe everything he's telling them. He asked me what I thought would happen and I said I wasn't sure, but attacks on state Capitol buildings or something wouldn't surprise me.

I didn't completely nail it there but fork, as we moved toward January 6th the atmosphere projected so much potential for violence and insurrection that it's just crazy they didn't take it seriously.

We even had a topic about that possibility too. Kind of funny reading some of the old comments

Michigan is charging the fake electors.

A Michigan woman recently charged with eight felonies as part of a "fake elector" scheme in the 2020 presidential election previously bragged on Twitter about her lack of arrest at the time.

"Dems waiting for my arrest," tweeted Michigan Republican Party co-Chairwoman Meshawn Maddock in May, accompanied by a GIF of a skeleton tapping its fingers on a table captioned "WAITING."

Two months later, on Tuesday, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel announced that Maddock was one of 16 people each facing eight felony counts for their alleged role to try and overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election by sending a fraudulent document claiming then-President Donald Trump won the presidential race in the state, despite losing by more than 150,000 votes.........

A Michigan woman recently charged with eight felonies as part of a "fake elector" scheme in the 2020 presidential election previously bragged on Twitter about her lack of arrest at the time.

"Dems waiting for my arrest," tweeted Michigan Republican Party co-Chairwoman Meshawn Maddock in May, accompanied by a GIF of a skeleton tapping its fingers on a table captioned "WAITING."

Two months later, on Tuesday, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel announced that Maddock was one of 16 people each facing eight felony counts for their alleged role to try and overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election by sending a fraudulent document claiming then-President Donald Trump won the presidential race in the state, despite losing by more than 150,000 votes.........

Aww, that's cute. Lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom