Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Only going to get worse as propaganda networks like OAN and Newsmax pump out lies.

I'm sure there will be many more firings in the days and weeks to come
    ============================================

A Kentucky nurse has been terminated from her job following her alleged participation in riots last week at the U.S. Capitol, which temporarily stopped Congress from certifying the Electoral College victory of President-elect Joe Biden.

Lori Vinson, who is from Morganfield, Ky., was among rioters who stormed the Capitol last week. She recorded the events on her phone and posted them to social media, NBC station 14News reported.

"I hope that is something I remember and say, 'I'm glad I was a part of that 30 years from now,' " Vinson said of her participation.

She was later fired from her employer Ascension St. Vincent hospital in Evansville, Ind., for her involvement on Friday. Termination paperwork stated that or Vinson was terminated for admitting to engaging in criminal behavior at a high profile event, while her [social media] account also revealed her employer, according to the local NBC station.

Vinson stated that she was not involved in criminal behavior and maintained that she did nothing wrong when she entered the Capitol on Jan. 6.

"I participated in none of that. I would never participate in that," she said. "I was there for a peaceful protest and that's what I was doing. I felt like I have done nothing wrong and I wouldn't change it."............

Kentucky nurse loses job after entering Capitol during riot (msn.com)

Lankford Crawfishing hard here.

The senator wrote in his letter that it was never his intention to “disenfranchise any voter or state” but that he wanted to resolve “any outstanding questions” before President-elect Joe Biden is inaugurated on Wednesday.

“What I did not realize was all of the national conversation about states like Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, was seen as casting doubt on the validity of votes coming out of predominantly Black communities like Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Detroit,” he wrote.

“After decades of fighting for voting rights, many Black friends in Oklahoma saw this as a direct attack on their right to vote, for their vote to matter, and even a belief that their votes made an election in our country illegitimate,” he continued.

There's more and more evidence that this was an organized violent attempt to prevent Congress from doing its Constitutional duty.

"Some guys started getting a hold of my gun and they were screaming out, 'Kill him with his own gun,'"

"I thought I was going to die."

"They were getting hit with metal objects. Metal poles. I remember seeing pitchforks. They're getting sprayed, knocked down," said Laury, who added that reinforcements kept rotating in so others could rest during the hours-long battle.

Blue Lives Matter, though, right? Beating cops with the very thin blue line flag they were carrying. Can everyone understand our furious anger over the Kaepernick situation, now? How the hypocrisy was evident then. It was never about their love for law enforcement. It was about their love for HOW law enforcement treated US. These accounts are sickening to listen to. Sigh.

CNN: Federal authorities say that rioters came within a minute of Mike Pence being evacuated from the senate floor.

With the information that has been coming out over the last few days, it's clear that we narrowly averted a much worse attack by these terrorists.

Last edited:
    This has been demoralizing and unreal to watch unfold.

I won't mention any specifics because I am sure they have been covered and I don't have time to catch up with 100+ pages in this thread.

Real life has been unrelenting in recent weeks up here and this is the first time I've had to breathe in weeks. If not months. That's been a bit of a blessing, I suppose, because I didn't have time to become as absorbed in everything as I otherwise would have been.

But it also removes some (probably) necessary perspective and I'm feeling very dolorous about the US right now

This has been demoralizing and unreal to watch unfold.

I won't mention any specifics because I am sure they have been covered and I don't have time to catch up with 100+ pages in this thread.

Real life has been unrelenting in recent weeks up here and this is the first time I've had to breathe in weeks. If not months. That's been a bit of a blessing, I suppose, because I didn't have time to become as absorbed in everything as I otherwise would have been.

But it also removes some (probably) necessary perspective and I'm feeling very dolorous about the US right now
    Welcome back. The forum was not the same without your insights.

Quoting myself, this reminds me of a very recent Facebook chat I had with one of my old HS teachers / coaches, who went on to become a school admin.

Why do Senators often sound so much smarter and thoughtful than Reps.

I told him, I don't have data on this, but I'd imagine Rep's having heavily gerrymandered districts allows them to be very single minded, whereas Senators are responsible for an entire state and have to answer to everyone.

You're seeing it here. Do you think if Lankford only had to be responsible for rural Oklahoma, he'd bother writing this?

Quoting myself, this reminds me of a very recent Facebook chat I had with one of my old HS teachers / coaches, who went on to become a school admin.

Why do Senators often sound so much smarter and thoughtful than Reps.

I told him, I don't have data on this, but I'd imagine Rep's having heavily gerrymandered districts allows them to be very single minded, whereas Senators are responsible for an entire state and have to answer to everyone.

You're seeing it here. Do you think if Lankford only had to be responsible for rural Oklahoma, he'd bother writing this?
    What about Tubberville?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom