Trump is done (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

st dude

Admin
    Reaction score
    Trump is done, stick a fork in him. He will not be re-elected. Don’t ask me what the last straw was for him, I cannot say. It might have been the transcript of the call where he asked Ukraine to investigate the Bidens while withholding military aid. Maybe it was when he doubled down and asked China to investigate a political rival (a fact some of his supporters in Congress incredibly deny he said because it’s otherwise indefensible). It might have been when he withdrew our military from Syria against the advice of his military advisers and his closest supporters. Maybe it was when the news division at Fox stood up on their hind legs and started calling him out. Or perhaps its his increasingly unhinged twitter rants that are making some question his sanity. The latest scandal with his whacked out attorney Giuliani cavorting with criminals cannot help.

Whatever the last straw was, it is my admittedly amateur political opinion that Trump is no longer electable. Remember this was a president who lost the popular vote. The democrats do not need his supporters to desert him in droves, they just need 10 percent or do. Recent polls show more Republicans than that think he should be impeached. And I don’t think things get better for Trump. It has the feel that it is imploding around him with more and more people he appointed and then fired willing to question his judgment, if not his sanity. It’s just hard for me at this point to see him holding on to enough of his supporters to win. I have friends who voted for him who if presented with an unacceptable democrat choice will simply not vote rather than vote for Trump.

As for the many I know who voted for Trump I will say this. I understand Clinton was an unacceptable choice to you. I get it if you wanted deregulation or if getting conservatives on the Supreme Court made voting for Trump worth it to you. What is beyond me is how any reasonable person can say Trump is a good man. He is not. He is a narcissist. He is rude and uncivil. He is a serial liar, lying about the stupidest of things. Did you believe him when he claimed his inaugural crowd was the biggest ever? How about when he drew a circle on a weather map to double down on a ridiculous lie that Alabama was in the path of a hurricane? Do his supporters remember when he got on tv and denied paying Stormy Daniels? Can anyone with any intellectual honesty believe he did not withhold military aid to coerce Ukraine to investigate a political rival?

In my lifetime I have seen nothing like it. I have crossed party lines to vote for many presidents. I was not a fan of the second George Bush nor Richard Nixon. But I never questioned their sanity, I never questioned their patriotism. I was proud of George Bush when he went to the trade center after 9-11.

Trump is only about Trump. He has no religion, which matters not to me other than the fact the religious right seems him as having some mandate from God. I don’t know that he even cares that much about his kids, what he said about his other daughter was hateful and cruel.

I’m calling it now. He might make a decent showing, he has his base for sure. But he will not be re-elected. He has lost enough of his base where he will not win. He won by such a narrow margin, he can’t afford to lose any votes and it’s almost impossible to believe the combination of his recent shenanigans will not cost him some votes.

Which candidate do you think will have widespread enthusiastic support in a general election?

The other two front runners seem so far to the left that I just can't see them doing well.

Warren is in the news for fleshing out her enormously expensive Medicare for all plan, while bragging about the "super duper" enforcement powers she intends to bestow upon the IRS.

Bernie is in the news for having Omar on stage with him as she calls for the end of Western Imperialism.

I’m surprised that Booker didn’t do better honestly.

I can’t imagine the party of anti old white man running things, are going to attempt to elect Bernie or Biden to the White House I find that funny.

As long as Trump is on the presidential ballot, and it’s a binary choice - he’s going to get whatever the unwavering base number is. Never under-estimate the power.

Which candidate do you think will have widespread enthusiastic support in a general election?

The other two front runners seem so far to the left that I just can't see them doing well.

Warren is in the news for fleshing out her enormously expensive Medicare for all plan, while bragging about the "super duper" enforcement powers she intends to bestow upon the IRS.

Bernie is in the news for having Omar on stage with him as she calls for the end of Western Imperialism.
    They only seem far to the left because the rest of them are all so far right. Those two "far left" enjoy an awful lot of support, so I am always curious when people question how well they would do in an election. They ALL poll better than Trump, but not all of them will excite the base.

Also, they're running for the mostly powerless Executive branch, folks. They would need widespread turnover in the House and Senate to bring their left-most vision to reality. The truth is they would need to bring it back to the center once elected, so it's important to be as far left of that as they cannot we hope to have any actual benefit.

I can see people sitting at home if Biden becomes the nominee...

That would be a shame. Warren and Sanders are both popular with younger democrats, Biden not so much. Sanders and Warren are too far left for me on economic policies. Even though living in La my vote for president will not count since Trump easily wins La, I would still go to the polls and vote against my economic interest for Warren or Sanders. Sitting at home with Trump on the ballot doesn’t feel right to me, even with my vote being symbolic only.

I wish a unifying democratic candidate would emerge. I am not a Biden fan either, but I do think there are Trump voters who dislike Trump who might vote for Biden but would never vote for Warren.

And to your point about certain democrats sitting at home if Biden is the candidate. That will happen if Warren is the candidate as well.

My personal choice would be Buttigieg. I think Klobuchar has very practical views and debates well, I am sure I am in the minority on that.

I never liked the idea of not voting because neither candidate appeals to you. There is always a lesser of two evils. I would tell any democrat who stayed home because they did not like Biden, that they have indirectly helped Trump get re-elected. I would say the same thing to more conservative Democrats who might stay home if Warren is the nominee.

I’m pulling the lever against Trump no matter who emerges on the democrat side. There are a handful of democrats running I think might make a bad president. There are none running I think would be worse than Trump.

I'm with you on that. I think on paper Biden has the best chance of an electoral college win but he's got so much baggage - people are just ready to wash their hands clean of all of these perennial players. I just don't see how Sanders or Warren can win the electoral college and their candidacy would bring the Better Business type Republicans right back into Trump's corner.

I, too, like Pete and Klobuchar seems okay - both reasonable. But i think once the institutional Democrats get involved its going to end up being Biden. He's okay as a person but I just think it's setting up for more of the same old.

I'm with you on that. I think on paper Biden has the best chance of an electoral college win but he's got so much baggage - people are just ready to wash their hands clean of all of these perennial players. I just don't see how Sanders or Warren can win the electoral college and their candidacy would bring the Better Business type Republicans right back into Trump's corner.

I, too, like Pete and Klobuchar seems okay - both reasonable. But i think once the institutional Democrats get involved its going to end up being Biden. He's okay as a person but I just think it's setting up for more of the same old.

Chuck, I agree with this take completely.

I know some younger democrats, like my kids, who are very resistant to the notion that Biden should be the candidate because Warren cant win. If Warren is the candidate, I hope they are right that she can win.

I think Biden is our best chance. I am unfortunately less and less impressed with him as time goes by. But he is, as you say, an okay guy. I desperately want an okay guy or okay gal as president. Its so sad to say, but okay is my bar right now for president of the Untied States. Our current lying, narcissistic egomaniac in office has set the bar as historically low as it has ever been,

I am voting ABT.

Anyone But Trump.

I said and felt months ago that it really felt like Biden gets the nomination and his running mate will be crucial. Though I am not a Biden fan and he's actually pretty far down my own list - maybe 5th?

I'm not a big fan of Buttigieg and like him less than Warren or Sanders. But I think all of them would struggle with Trump more than would Biden. I think Biden and someone like Abrams or Gillum would be meaningful. Those same running mates would work to counteract some of what I don't like about Buttigieg, incidentally.

The appeal to me for Warren and Sanders is primarily based on the focus of working/middle class families and voters. Nobody else is talking about them as meaningfully, specifically.

If Sanders or Warren drop out of the race relatively early then Biden will be hurt, I think badly hurt.

Biden will have a much easier time if, for example, Warren wins Iowa and Sanders wins New Hampshire and they both get enough money/attention to stay in the race through Super Tuesday, then Biden is going to win the majority of contests on Super Tuesday and Warren/Sanders/and perhaps another candidate win a few.
    Of course, given that scenario, whoever wins California might get a huge boost even if Biden is winning a majority of the contests that day.

Further, Biden will hope there are at least 2 high profile candidates well funded after Super Tuesday. Which is certainly possible.

Conversely - Sanders/Warren would love for Harris' strategy of a heavy focus on South Carolina to pay off.

That is my amateur and superficially informed opinion.

As long as Trump is on the presidential ballot, and it’s a binary choice - he’s going to get whatever the unwavering base number is. Never under-estimate the power.

There has literally never been a less Christian person in a pulpit anywhere than Paula White. Including Elmer Gantry.

She’s had her differences before, hasn’t she? But I never pegged her as a big DACA supporter.

Edit: Okay, it’s early and I’m still sleepy. She’s objecting to him making a deal with the Dems to let them stay? I was stuck on the big lie that many are hardened criminals.

Last edited:
    She’s had her differences before, hasn’t she? But I never pegged her as a big DACA supporter.

Edit: Okay, it’s early and I’m still sleepy. She’s objecting to him making a deal with the Dems to let them stay? I was stuck on the big lie that many are hardened criminals.

Yeah I guess she hasn’t been a fan for a while now.

Maybe it's because I'm sober so I'm misunderstanding. But I think she is referring to the fact that Trump calls some of them "hardened criminals" but yet would make a deal for them to stay any ways.

Maybe it's because I'm sober so I'm misunderstanding. But I think she is referring to the fact that Trump calls some of them "hardened criminals" but yet would make a deal for them to stay any ways.

Maybe she's just tired of him not being at all clear in what he's trying to say. Like this is her red line -- "I will not stand for garbled tweets anymore!"

I am not sure what Trump is trying to say, but Sweet Ann gets frustrated because Trump is too soft on immigration. And as far as DACA folks, she says they should be the first to go and that we can get to the criminals later.

Yeah I guess she hasn’t been a fan for a while now.
    She's a grifter like the rest, imo, she just bet too early that Trump's cult-like base wouldn't last and her more coherent brand of hardline white identity politics would position her as the authentic voice when the iceberg hit and the Trump ship started sinking.

It's like the lefty/liberals that would virtue signal about Obama drone strikes or claim single-payer or bust to keep their lefty street cred.... Which isn't to say there aren't genuine critiques to be made.

I am not sure what Trump is trying to say, but Sweet Ann gets frustrated because Trump is too soft on immigration. And as far as DACA folks, she says they should be the first to go and that we can get to the criminals later.

She clearly says in that tweet that the DACA folks can stay, but Trump has to go. That is the part that confused me, too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom