Trump Indictment ( includes NY AG and Fed documents case ) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Former President D. Trump has been indicted by a New York Grand Jury. There will be much to talk about on this topic because this is just the first step in a lengthy process.
    Possibly it is worthy of its own thread here rather than posting about Trump's indictment in already existing threads? :unsure:
    This 3/31/23 story might get the ball rolling....

If the trial date is already set for Aug 14th, why would it get moved back to December or later? Is that standard practice? I believe it is, but I forget why it's already presumed December when it hasn't been formally set yet anyway.
    After consulting with the defense team, it was the prosecution's recommended start date as an attempt to be accommodating to the defense team's concerns.

If the trial date is already set for Aug 14th, why would it get moved back to December or later? Is that standard practice? I believe it is, but I forget why it's already presumed December when it hasn't been formally set yet anyway.

She set it for August - which is her practice (set a date at the initial scheduling conference but then move it as the case demands). She asked the parties to propose dates and DOJ moved to continue it until December 11. Trump filed an opposition saying she shouldn’t set it at all.

Sounds like she is going to expect the defense have a proposed date at the hearing.

She set it for August - which is her practice (set a date at the initial scheduling conference but then move it as the case demands). She asked the parties to propose dates and DOJ moved to continue it until December 11. Trump filed an opposition saying she shouldn’t set it at all.

Sounds like she is going to expect the defense have a proposed date at the hearing.
    Thanks.

So the hearing is at 2pm in Cannon's courtroom.

While my criticism of her being totally unqualified for that district court position is known, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think she's going to steer pretty straight in this case. Yes, Trump appointed her but she doesn't have any MAGA connections, she was selected by Rubio based on her work as a prosecutor for the US Attorney's Office in the Southern District of Florida, and she's a pro-life conservative . . . and she's young. The Heritage/Conservative judicial movement has totally jettisoned experience in favor of youth due to the lifetime appointment - so once a person has pro-life credentials, they're in.

But given her lack of experience and lack of any real connection to Trump and MAGA, I think she's going to fall back on her years as a federal prosecutor. She knows how DOJ operates, she knows how federal prosecutions work. By no means do I think she's going to "favor" DOJ, but I think she's going to try to conduct this case by the book as best she can. Judges regularly have to give accommodations to the parties, so don't misconstrue any and every thing she may do that's favorable to the defense as bias, though certainly there will come a point where that could be true. I have been in cases with DOJ and before a former-DOJ judge where the judge was surprisingly critical of DOJ in certain elements of the case management. That happens, it's a system where both parties have equal chance at persuasion.

Today will be a good first indication. Trump has asked for indefinite stay, which I believe is almost certain not to happen - if not for any other reason than there's supposed to be a trial date, simply taking it off the docket is highly unusual. That doesn't mean the date can't be revisited in the future. I don't know what she's going to do but I think I said before I wouldn't be surprised with some kind of late winter trial date (January/February/early March).

But whether we get that kind of trial date today is hard to say. She could set a date with clear indication it will be revisited one more time after the defense has done its due diligence with the preparation needs. For example, the defense opposition says "we might need this or that" and I expect she's going to want more concrete answers about what those needs are and how long they will take. Of course, that's where Trump is generally bad - actual details before a competent request. So we'll see - she might also take it under advisement and put out an order later this week or next week. None of that would be unusual.

The only red flag, I would say, would be some sort of indefinite continuance of the trial date with no immediate structure for setting it. I think that's highly unlikely, but so was her granting the special master.

Last edited:
    TruthSocial diatribe incoming....

1689700350647.png

i laugh but the guy is literally uncontrollable. So predictable.

What is funny is he resorts to name calling, like he did in his campaign, thinking that will somehow "diminish" the person he is targeting with the nickname. It worked in the campaign trail, probably works in some instances in business dealings, but has absolutely ZERO effect on the LAW.

Obvious tact is to make as many as possible believe that this is more a "political hit job" - when in fact, its has been and always will be about the Rule of Law.

i laugh but the guy is literally uncontrollable. So predictable.

What is funny is he resorts to name calling, like he did in his campaign, thinking that will somehow "diminish" the person he is targeting with the nickname. It worked in the campaign trail, probably works in some instances in business dealings, but has absolutely ZERO effect on the LAW.

Obvious tact is to make as many as possible believe that this is more a "political hit job" - when in fact, its has been and always will be about the Rule of Law.

Trump tried to win the election and he didn't - so he then tried to use the power of his office and legal challenges to undo the election, but when all of that failed, he tried to use the vigor of his supporters as a weapon to try to hold on to power. He denies it now but we all witnessed it, he even threatened that things would be bad.

He's doing the same thing now - including the threats. He already said that bad things would happen if he was arrested. Well, that didn't come to pass and he's now trying to stir up anger about the criminal cases against him. It's only going to get worse as these cases move forward.

Sounds like she closed the hearing without setting it but she plans to do promptly.

US District Judge Aileen Cannon signaled she is open to pushing back the start of a trial in the Mar-a-Lago classified documents case past the mid-December date proposed by federal prosecutors – but appeared deeply skeptical of arguments from Donald Trump’s lawyers that he couldn’t get a fair trial while running for president.

Special counsel Jack Smith’s team and lawyers for Trump appeared Tuesday for the first time in front of Cannon, who will preside over the criminal case Smith has brought against the former president.

Cannon did not decide on a trial date but said she plans to “promptly” issue an order on the matter.

Both sides have asked to push the trial date months later than this summer – with Trump wanting it potentially after the 2024 election – and Cannon has ordered the parties to be prepared to discuss prosecutors’ proposal that the trial happen much sooner, starting in mid-December of this year.

Ofc course they want it after the election. Which, I'm not really opposed to anyway. Of he's President-elect, we're forked anyway. If he's not, then they just proceed like a normal trail.

But yeah, I don't see the judge delaying it all that long.

no no no- because he will turn this whole thing into a charade - weaponize the indictments, use the threat of his jail time as a slight on ALL of his supporters - whip them into a frenzy and the country now having to deal with that. Not to mention the daily grunting from R supporters in Congress etc.

Nah- this needs to happen prior to election - You dont get to "run for POTUS to escape trial"

Eff that.

no no no- because he will turn this whole thing into a charade - weaponize the indictments, use the threat of his jail time as a slight on ALL of his supporters - whip them into a frenzy and the country now having to deal with that. Not to mention the daily grunting from R supporters in Congress etc.

Nah- this needs to happen prior to election - You dont get to "run for POTUS to escape trial"

Eff that.
    I don't disagree. I'd prefer it next week, lol. But, it is what it is. If he gets elected, I'll be long gone before he steps into Oval Office.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom