Trump’s decision on Syria (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    I heard a lot of talk this morning on this seemingly abrupt decision. I heard worry that Turkey will roll into Syria and massacre the Kurds who have been one of our most loyal allies in the region. Lindsey Graham isn’t a big fan, and I think when Trump flirted with this decision before is when Jim Mattis resigned, but I may be misremembering that.

What I have not heard is why Trump is doing this now, when he was dissuaded before. What has changed to cause us to abandon the Kurds to an oppressive regime that is certainly capable of rolling in there to slaughter them? Graham seems more concerned that this gives ISIS a new boost.

"This impulsive decision by the President has undone all the gains we've made, thrown the region into further chaos. Iran is licking their chops. And if I'm an ISIS fighter I've got a second lease on life. So to those who think ISIS has been defeated you will soon see," Graham said during an interview on Fox News' "Fox and Friends."

"I hope I'm making myself clear how shortsighted and irresponsible this decision is in my view," the South Carolina Republican added.

Graham, a supporter of the President who has at times previously split with him publicly, said, "I like President Trump. I've tried to help him. This to me is just unnerving to its core to say to the American people, 'ISIS has been destroyed in Syria' -- (that) is not true."

The Daily Show hits this on multiple fronts, but wow, some of the stuff Pence and Trump said here just don't make sense. Starts out with a little bit on the Impeachment stuff, but mostly focuses on Syria. You rarely hear the audience groan like this, but when Trump uses the excuse that the Kurds "didn't help us in the second world war..." as an excuse for not remaining as a peace keeping force.. wow.

NSFW language (like one or two words).

The Daily Show hits this on multiple fronts, but wow, some of the stuff Pence and Trump said here just don't make sense. Starts out with a little bit on the Impeachment stuff, but mostly focuses on Syria. You rarely hear the audience groan like this, but when Trump uses the excuse that the Kurds "didn't help us in the second world war..." as an excuse for not remaining as a peace keeping force.. wow.

NSFW language (like one or two words).

I have to agree with the one audience member, trump is definitely "shady as ****".

I'd also like to know what very fine article trump was referencing regarding WWII history.

Edit: Found it!

Let’s have some real talk, because the Orange Man Bad side of the debate – the side that suddenly is all hopped up on war juice – offers nothing but hack clichés to support its amorphous position. The Kurds helped destroy ISIS, true. It’s also true that the Kurds would have fought ISIS anyway, since the psycho caliphate was right next door. Let’s be honest – the Kurds didn’t show up for us at Normandy or Inchon or Khe Sanh or Kandahar. The Syrian Kurds allied with us in their homeland because we shared a common interest in wiping out the head-lopping freak show that was ISIS. Moreover, all Kurds are not equal. The PKK – the Kurdistan Workers' Party – are a bunch of commie terrorists who have been fighting the Turks for a long time. Those reds are no friends of ours, and it’s their antics that seem to be inspiring the Turkish campaign. I have little use for the Turks, but they aren’t just picking this fight for Schiffs and giggles. The fact that it’s all so confusing is a really, really good reason for us to stay the hell out of it.
    Kurt Schlichter, the author, pointed out that all Kurds are not the same, which is true, however the Turks tend to treat all Kurds the same. Let's be clear here, trump has green lit the Turks ethnic cleansing campaign against the Kurds and this current campaign is not limited to N.Syria, it will include N. Iraq as well.

Last edited:
    Pompeo and Pence doing work. It's amazing how this administration continues winning despite the opposition of the warmongers and the continuation of a soft coup attempt.

By abandoning a faithfull ally to the mercy of a nation who has tried to eliminate them for 200 years.

Withdrawing less than 50 troops from a foreign land where, as you admit, they have been fighting for 200 years, is not genocide.

Withdrawing less than 50 troops from a foreign land where, as you admit, they have been fighting for 200 years, is not genocide.

Telling their mortal enemy that they will no longer be under US protection is

The results are clear for all to see and both Democrats and Republicans have been very vocal in their condemnation

Nonsense. Petition your government to send in UK troops if you feel strongly about it.

The UK would probably object if my government told them to send in troops, but that is beside the point. The point being that the Kurds has been a loyal ally and friend of the US troops for years and have shed blod and saved many american soldiers lives. And yet Trump decides to remove all protection within days given the Kurds no chance to prepare and the world no chance to find alternative solutions and thereby giving the turks a free hand to eliminate as many Kurds as possible

The UK would probably object if my government told them to send in troops, but that is beside the point. The point being that the Kurds has been a loyal ally and friend of the US troops for years and have shed blod and saved many american soldiers lives. And yet Trump decides to remove all protection within days given the Kurds no chance to prepare and the world no chance to find alternative solutions and thereby giving the turks a free hand to eliminate as many Kurds as possible

My bad, I confused you with someone else. Forget about what I said about sending troops.

So that means you think we should put American lives in jeopardy in order to stand between Turkey and Kurdish forces?

As far as I know, we don't have any agreement to shed American blood to protect the Kurds.

Pompeo and Pence doing work. It's amazing how this administration continues winning despite the opposition of the warmongers and the continuation of a soft coup attempt.

it took less than a day for this post not to age well

So the leader of the Kurdish forces had a three part tweet about his conversation with Trump. Trump retweets the first two that are basically thanking Trump, but suspiciously does not retweet the third part where the Kurdish general states that Trump promised to continue supporting the SDF...

So that means you think we should put American lives in jeopardy in order to stand between Turkey and Kurdish forces?

As far as I know, we don't have any agreement to shed American blood to protect the Kurds.

To simply answer this, Yes. I think that because we were there and asked the Kurds to fight for us and with us in the fight against ISIS, that we had a responsibility towards them. What Turkey did in our abrupt pull out was predictable. We left them there to be attacked and slaughtered.

We knew what Turkey's goals and ambitions were and we know the type of authoritarian leader Erodgan is. He told Trump he was going to do exactly what he did and all Trump responded with was a letter. And why was this? It was simply to fulfill a campaign promise he thought would look good on his resume. #promiseskept and all that crap. It was self serving, as all things with Trump are.

It wasn't planned, it wasn't done with any forethought, and there was complete chaos. We had a responsibility to the Kurds that upon pulling out of that arena, we wouldn't have allowed what then happened.

I don't care about Russia's influence with Syria, they want to have that shirt storm, they can have it. But to destabilize a region, cause the release of ISIS fighters and totally abandon and ally and leave them to slaughter is never a good look for America. Given that we knew exactly what Turkey was going to do, it was incumbent upon us to negotiate terms that would have protected the Kurds prior to pulling out.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom