This Is A Very Revealing Quote About The Current Dark State Of The Republican Party (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Kerry Won Ohio

Reaction score
    God help us if the Republican Party is ever in power again. This is what a Republican official in Pennsylvania apparently said yesterday. --

David Ball, the chair of the Washington County GOP, vented his anger at Sen. Pat Toomey, fellow Republican of Pennsylvania, who committed the apostasy of joining six other GOP senators in voting to convict former president Donald Trump of inciting insurrection.

We did not send him (Sen Toomey) there to vote his conscience,” Ball said on Monday. “We did not send him there to do the right thing or whatever he said he was doing. We sent him there to represent us.”

This tells you everything you need to know about the current evil, fascist nature of the Republican Party. They must NEVER control Congress or the White House ever again. If they do, democracy is over in this country.

Interesting. Do you regard patriotism as an inherently bad thing ?
    Not posed to me but I'll answer: yes. And the irony is that the GOP -- who is ostensibly the party of less government and emphasizes things like religion and family and criticizes giving the State too much power -- puts the State on such a high pedestal in its patriotic dogma.

I think there is no real benefit to pride in one's country and countless examples of how it is abused. There is, however, benefit in pride in the underpinnings that purportedly make that country great.

Interesting. Do you regard patriotism as an inherently bad thing ?

It depends on how you define patriotism. I love my country the same way most Democrats do -- Our country drives us nuts at times and we know it is far from perfect, but we believe in it and we want it to keep striving to be a better place for all its citizens.

Most Republicans have a different interpretation of patriotism. In their minds, the country doesn't have much room for improvement, it's already close to perfect. In their minds, the happiness of white people should be the first priority and racism is a thing of the distant past. In their minds, folks that live in Alabama or Missouri or places other than California or New York are the "real Americans". Reverse racism is now the bigger problem, according to these people. Social and economic policies that help poor minorities are evil and for communists.

It depends on how you define patriotism. I love my country the same way most Democrats do -- Our country drives us nuts at times and we know it is far from perfect, but we believe in it and we want it to keep striving to be a better place for all its citizens.

Most Republicans have a different interpretation of patriotism. In their minds, the country doesn't have much room for improvement, it's already close to perfect. In their minds, the happiness of white people should be the first priority and racism is a thing of the distant past. In their minds, folks that live in Alabama or Missouri or places other than California or New York are the "real Americans". Reverse racism is now the bigger problem, according to these people. Social and economic policies that help poor minorities are evil and for communists.

“We love America just as much as they do. But in a different way. You see, they love America like a 4-year-old loves his mommy. Liberals love America like grown-ups. To a 4-year-old, everything Mommy does is wonderful and anyone who criticizes Mommy is bad. Grown-up love means actually understanding what you love, taking the good with the bad and helping your loved one grow.”

― Al Franken, Lies & the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair & Balanced Look at the Right

“We love America just as much as they do. But in a different way. You see, they love America like a 4-year-old loves his mommy. Liberals love America like grown-ups. To a 4-year-old, everything Mommy does is wonderful and anyone who criticizes Mommy is bad. Grown-up love means actually understanding what you love, taking the good with the bad and helping your loved one grow.”

― Al Franken, Lies & the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair & Balanced Look at the Right

Certainly not all conservatives love America like 4 year olds. There are grown ups on the right side, just not very many of them right now.

This was the exact same thing that crossed my mind reading KWO’s post.

Certainly not all conservatives love America like 4 year olds. There are grown ups on the right side, just not very many of them right now.

This is part of why I really don’t like these broad descriptions like left/right etc. I think this is twice today I’ve read you make a similar statement - and I don’t think that’s fair to you. The unfortunate state of affairs is “right” or “conservative” is usually meant for that Trump wing of the party, and it’s pulling actual conservatives like you into that madness and that sucks. I think my mini-rant still fits the overall thread.

The problem is that Trumpists, who are not really conservative at all, have hijacked that term for themselves. I suppose it isn’t very flattering to them to admit they have no moral center other than allegiance to a single man. I wish we could distinguish easily between say, Romney and Ron Johnson. But they will both call themselves conservatives. I do feel bad for you, Dave.

Also consider that was written when Franken was wearing his comedian hat, so there's a degree of hyperbole. It's become more true since then unfortunately.

Also consider that was written when Franken was wearing his comedian hat, so there's a degree of hyperbole. It's become more true since then unfortunately.
    This is part of why I really don’t like these broad descriptions like left/right etc. I think this is twice today I’ve read you make a similar statement - and I don’t think that’s fair to you. The unfortunate state of affairs is “right” or “conservative” is usually meant for that Trump wing of the party, and it’s pulling actual conservatives like you into that madness and that sucks. I think my mini-rant still fits the overall thread.
    The problem is that Trumpists, who are not really conservative at all, have hijacked that term for themselves. I suppose it isn’t very flattering to them to admit they have no moral center other than allegiance to a single man. I wish we could distinguish easily between say, Romney and Ron Johnson. But they will both call themselves conservatives. I do feel bad for you, Dave.

All well taken. I appreciate the sentiment. The way I'm distinguishing them right now is, if they still support Trump at this point, they're Trumpers, not conservatives. Until the RNC and broader Republican party disavows Trump, the Republican party is a lost cause. I'm more a man without a party right now.

All well taken. I appreciate the sentiment. The way I'm distinguishing them right now is, if they still support Trump at this point, they're Trumpers, not conservatives. Until the RNC and broader Republican party disavows Trump, the Republican party is a lost cause. I'm more a man without a party right now.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell my boss (also named Dave, strangely enough): You're a bad Republican. You're too nice and considerate of other people's beliefs. Come to the dark side. There's more you'll agree with than you might think and even if you disagree there's always room for debate here.

God help us if the Republican Party is ever in power again. This is what a Republican official in Pennsylvania apparently said yesterday. --

David Ball, the chair of the Washington County GOP, vented his anger at Sen. Pat Toomey, fellow Republican of Pennsylvania, who committed the apostasy of joining six other GOP senators in voting to convict former president Donald Trump of inciting insurrection.

We did not send him (Sen Toomey) there to vote his conscience,” Ball said on Monday. “We did not send him there to do the right thing or whatever he said he was doing. We sent him there to represent us.”

This tells you everything you need to know about the current evil, fascist nature of the Republican Party. They must NEVER control Congress or the White House ever again. If they do, democracy is over in this country.

So a one party rule is better suited for you? Perhaps you'd like it to become law? How is democracy going to be over if the Republican party regains the government, wouldn't that be an fine example of democracy? What do you call gerrymandering who can vote?

So a one party rule is better suited for you? Perhaps you'd like it to become law? How is democracy going to be over if the Republican party regains the government, wouldn't that be an fine example of democracy? What do you call gerrymandering who can vote?

Ask Ohio's duck district, aka Jim Jordan's district.

181004-ohio-us-congressional-district-4-ew-1131a_eb3b2a4e33fcf6672d3c6bb0a9221ab6.jpg

Ask Ohio's duck district, aka Jim Jordan's district.

181004-ohio-us-congressional-district-4-ew-1131a_eb3b2a4e33fcf6672d3c6bb0a9221ab6.jpg

That is desperate, really. You can find this crap all over this country by both sides. Answer my questions and quit deflecting. Hell, the RINO party gerrymandered LT COL West's district in Florida to give over to Dems! There was talk in the D party about doing that to AOC but Nervous Nancy decided to try and use her instead. AOC's mouth may be moving, but it's Nancy talking.

Last edited:
    That is desperate, really. You can find this crap all over this country by both sides. Answer my questions and quit deflecting. Hell, the RINO party gerrymandered LT COL West's district in Florida to give over to Dems! There was talk in the D party about doing that to AOC but Nervous Nancy decided to try and use her instead. AOC's mouth may be moving, but it's Nancy talking.

Examples, please.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom