This Is A Very Revealing Quote About The Current Dark State Of The Republican Party (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Kerry Won Ohio

Reaction score
    God help us if the Republican Party is ever in power again. This is what a Republican official in Pennsylvania apparently said yesterday. --

David Ball, the chair of the Washington County GOP, vented his anger at Sen. Pat Toomey, fellow Republican of Pennsylvania, who committed the apostasy of joining six other GOP senators in voting to convict former president Donald Trump of inciting insurrection.

We did not send him (Sen Toomey) there to vote his conscience,” Ball said on Monday. “We did not send him there to do the right thing or whatever he said he was doing. We sent him there to represent us.”

This tells you everything you need to know about the current evil, fascist nature of the Republican Party. They must NEVER control Congress or the White House ever again. If they do, democracy is over in this country.

Hmmm... I can't help but feel that the respective tax policies of the Democrats vs the Republicans will have a far greater impact on corporate donations than will Wokism ?
    Depends. I mean, that's a crappy way to put it, but, corporations don't exactly want to alienate their customer base. Taxes are small potatoes to revenue.

Depends. I mean, that's a crappy way to put it, but, corporations don't exactly want to alienate their customer base. Taxes are small potatoes to revenue.
    I guess that would depend on their analysis of what proportion of their customer base would be influenced by political or social criteria, compared to tax rates - which take effect across the board ?

Not really threadworthy, so I guess it goes here.

CPAC is making a whole theme about criticism of “cancel culture”. In fact they are calling it “uncanceled“ or something. Of course, they almost immediately had to cancel a speaker for anti-Semitism. Oops.

And then tonight, I heard that there are reports that the only way Trump would agree to speak is if Pence was not there. A demand the “anti-cancel culture“ folks were happy to indulge.

You just cannot make this stuff up, lol.

Not really threadworthy, so I guess it goes here.

CPAC is making a whole theme about criticism of “cancel culture”. In fact they are calling it “uncanceled“ or something. Of course, they almost immediately had to cancel a speaker for anti-Semitism. Oops.

And then tonight, I heard that there are reports that the only way Trump would agree to speak is if Pence was not there. A demand the “anti-cancel culture“ folks were happy to indulge.

You just cannot make this stuff up, lol.

Well, the phrase not actually meaning anything certainly adds to the malleability.

They’re not going to support the sedition caucus. Why do you suppose Mitch made such a stinging rebuke of Trump, followed by an equally harshly worded editorial the next day?

One credible theory is that his corporate sponsors have made it very clear to him that they don’t approve of Trump’s lies, his attempts to destabilize this country and his attempts to disenfranchise millions of voters, mostly black and brown voters. It’s not good for business.

As an aside, if Fox continues to put out an increasingly unhinged Carlson, who has recently railed against the COVID vaccine, and doubled down (last night I believe) on his insane theory that windmills and solar do not operate in cold weather, then Fox will get squeezed as well.

I think big corporations are waking up to the fact that all this far right wing nonsense (as opposed to legitimate conservatism) is threatening their bottom line. If that’s the case, I suspect we will see some changes.

I've seen this before. When Rush slut shamed a woman on air, a lot of sponsors pulled their ads. But he still stayed on the air another (10?) years. Faux news will probably double down and give Tucker even more air time, or some other equally-loony talking head

I've seen this before. When Rush slut shamed a woman on air, a lot of sponsors pulled their ads. But he still stayed on the air another (10?) years. Faux news will probably double down and give Tucker even more air time, or some other equally-loony talking head
    Fox makes their money from cable fees. With cable going down the tubes those fees are going to get smaller and advertising will be more important than before.

The problem as seen from abroad is that your democracy is more or less binary,,

If you have 10-15 different political parties and none have absolute majority on their own, it works as a "counterweigth" to extremism.

You also have an educational system which favors binary answers (Multiple choice tests) where everything is either right or wrong and critical source evaluation isn't taugth until the higher levels of education and where local school boards can override scientific education in favor of "creationism" thereby allowing religious beliefs an equal position to science basically telling students that "fact" is a personal oppinion and not just "facts"

All this has created a situation where your democracy is in serious danger from within

These things have been done on purpose, IMO. If a population cannot think critically, they are very easy to manipulate.

Not only that but the complete whitewashing of American history that is taught in schools contributes mightily to this game patriotism that plagues us.

These things have been done on purpose, IMO. If a population cannot think critically, they are very easy to manipulate.

Not only that but the complete whitewashing of American history that is taught in schools contributes mightily to this game patriotism that plagues us.
    Interesting. Do you regard patriotism as an inherently bad thing ?

Shouldn't we get rid of the Olympics then? Since the concept is rooted almost entirely in patriotism.

Now it is.

Was never meant to be that. It was rooted in competition. ( testing oneself vs the best competition, regardless of where they were from )

But as the games grew in popularity, so did the competition and in the spirit of competition, representing ones country inherently breeds patriotism.

Patriotism: noun: the quality of being patriotic; devotion to and vigorous support for one's country.

I think you may be confusing Patriotism with Jingoism ?

na·tion·al·ism
    /ˈnaSH(ə)nəˌlizəm/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations.

jin·go·ism
    /ˈjiNGɡōˌizəm/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun DEROGATORY
    extreme patriotism, especially in the form of aggressive or warlike foreign policy.

I fail to see how you've refuted what I said.

I was just saying that patriotism is NOT a negative trait ?
    It can be. I guess Patriotism abused. I mean, ask Oscar Wilde. I would argue that it isn't inherently bad, but often is abused. Just like alcohol.

“How is it,” I once asked him, “that people who are not possessed of a single other virtue should come out at times as patriots?”

“Exaggerated patriotism,” he answered, “is the most insincere form of self-conceit.” And at another time he said, “Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.”

It can be. I guess Patriotism abused. I mean, ask Oscar Wilde. I would argue that it isn't inherently bad, but often is abused. Just like alcohol.

Yeah, I was just pushing back a bit precisely because it was stated that patriotism was/is inherently bad. A notion I reject. I think there is healthy patriotism and unhealthy patriotism.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom