This Is A Very Revealing Quote About The Current Dark State Of The Republican Party (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Kerry Won Ohio

Reaction score
    God help us if the Republican Party is ever in power again. This is what a Republican official in Pennsylvania apparently said yesterday. --

David Ball, the chair of the Washington County GOP, vented his anger at Sen. Pat Toomey, fellow Republican of Pennsylvania, who committed the apostasy of joining six other GOP senators in voting to convict former president Donald Trump of inciting insurrection.

We did not send him (Sen Toomey) there to vote his conscience,” Ball said on Monday. “We did not send him there to do the right thing or whatever he said he was doing. We sent him there to represent us.”

This tells you everything you need to know about the current evil, fascist nature of the Republican Party. They must NEVER control Congress or the White House ever again. If they do, democracy is over in this country.

I agree. I mean.. the idea that a representative should be asked to represent his constituents, and not just his own individual beliefs, is just fascist, racist, transphobic, and probably fattening.

There's been debate since the very beginning of our government whether Congress people are elected to be direct representatives or whether they're elected for their own vision. Nothing in the Constitution dictates either viewpoint. It's entirely up to them to decide how they conduct themselves. But should they decide to act as a direct representative then it's incumbent upon them to represent their entire state, not just one party.

There's been debate since the very beginning of our government whether Congress people are elected to be direct representatives or whether they're elected for their own vision. Nothing in the Constitution dictates either viewpoint. It's entirely up to them to decide how they conduct themselves. But should they decide to act as a direct representative then it's incumbent upon them to represent their entire state, not just one party.
    If the intent was that they were direct representatives and just a mouthpiece for whatever stupid shirt their constituents believe, we wouldn't have representatives- we would just be a democracy where everyone votes on everything.
    The whole point of representatives is that they are supposed to be more knowledgeable and capable of making important decisions than the average citizen. In current times that basically just means someone who doesn't get their news from Facebook.

The two best senators from my state, IMHO, one a democrat and one a Republican and both gone now, were both of the opinion that they were sent to Washington to study the issues and bills, and vote what was best in their opinion. They believed in listening to their constituents (all of them, not just “certain” ones) but at the end of the day, it was their decision.

This is the only correct way, IMO. Roof, I hope you can understand this concept and you don’t subscribe to the cancel culture being perpetuated by these state GOP parties. 🤔

I agree. I mean.. the idea that a representative should be asked to represent his constituents, and not just his own individual beliefs, is just fascist, racist, transphobic, and probably fattening.

I would rather have a representative do what is best for me, rather than "represent" all of my viewpoints. After all, that is really why we elect them. We are supposed to trust their judgement.

Lying to me about a stolen election is not what's best for me. In fact, it's irresponsible of a representative to lie to me when they know the truth. A representative should have the political courage to tell his constituents harsh truths sometimes, like when Ben Sasse told off the idiot Republican Party in Nebraska for censuring him.

True, but another, often underlooked perspective on why and what gives GOP a realistic chance of winning more seats in state legislatures in blue states like New York and California is because both states economies are realing due to strict, restrictive Covid-19 shutdowns and high income/real estate taxes on major corporations and individuals are making them come to realization its too costly to do business there's Google, Tesla, Hewlett-Packard, Oracle, and many others are leaving to more business-friendly states like Texas, Arizona, Georgia, and Florida and where they feel,.they won't be seen or treated as some, ominous, creepy enemy.

Plus, the Dem governors of both of these states aren't exactly being seen in a favorable light so if you're the Republican minority opposition, especially in New York, you can use the exodus of large, multi-national corporations and the questionable, inept,.duplitious Covid-19 controversies in both states to point to and argue "See where all your jobs, and livelihoods are going and these sancrosanct Democrats running against us aren't these supposed " choir boys" they claim they are. And they'll likely convince more then a few voters in both states to buy in. Particularly, in more conservative western New York.

So you might have had more of a case 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. This doesn't apply anymore. Corporate America does not want to be associated with a deranged QAnon supporting white supremacist party. That is bad for business. Therefore, corporate America is no longer going to support the Republican Party, at least not like they used to.

That's not to say it's all over for the Republican Party. They will go all out during the next two years with voter suppression efforts in many states and try to take back Congress. The Democrats better be ready to counter these voter suppression efforts or they will most likely be in the wilderness permanently starting in 2022.

Didn’t want to make a new thread, and it sort of fits here. A congressional reporter was questioned by Capitol Police related to 2 recent incidents involving GOP members of Congress and their behavior. There are several more tweets describing the incidents. I’m glad they’re investigating these, the GOP has come to believe there are no consequences for bad behavior.

Didn’t want to make a new thread, and it sort of fits here. A congressional reporter was questioned by Capitol Police related to 2 recent incidents involving GOP members of Congress and their behavior. There are several more tweets describing the incidents. I’m glad they’re investigating these, the GOP has come to believe there are no consequences for bad behavior.

Here's hoping that Capitol Police pursue this aggressively, now we will see House Republicans defend one of their own against allegations of assault of a LEO.

Here's hoping that Capitol Police pursue this aggressively, now we will see House Republicans defend one of their own against allegations of assault of a LEO.

Throw the bums out. Particularly those idiots bypassing security for no good reason.

Anyone of them getting physical with USCP should be arrested, charged with assault and censured by Congress. Too bad they can't be kicked out, but hopefully, resigning would be on the table.

Throw the bums out. Particularly those idiots bypassing security for no good reason.

Anyone of them getting physical with USCP should be arrested, charged with assault and censured by Congress. Too bad they can't be kicked out, but hopefully, resigning would be on the table.

They can be expelled with a 2/3 vote. Considering that's an impossibility, resignation is off the table. Without the threat of being expelled they have no reason to resign.

They can be expelled with a 2/3 vote. Considering that's an impossibility, resignation is off the table. Without the threat of being expelled they have no reason to resign.

Right, which is why I'd go the censure route. Arresting and embarrassing them is probably the best we can hope for.

So you might have had more of a case 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. This doesn't apply anymore. Corporate America does not want to be associated with a deranged QAnon supporting white supremacist party. That is bad for business. Therefore, corporate America is no longer going to support the Republican Party, at least not like they used to.

That's not to say it's all over for the Republican Party. They will go all out during the next two years with voter suppression efforts in many states and try to take back Congress. The Democrats better be ready to counter these voter suppression efforts or they will most likely be in the wilderness permanently starting in 2022.
    Hmmm... I can't help but feel that the respective tax policies of the Democrats vs the Republicans will have a far greater impact on corporate donations than will Wokism ?

I would rather have a representative do what is best for me, rather than "represent" all of my viewpoints. After all, that is really why we elect them. We are supposed to trust their judgement.
    Fair point. Unless, of course, the Senator subsequently adopts a position that contradicts the policies that he/she canvassed on ?

Fair point. Unless, of course, the Senator subsequently adopts a position that contradicts the policies that he/she canvassed on ?

Since they obviously did not canvas on Trump being impeached for insurrection then that has no bearing on this case.
    Even if you canvas as supporting a specific candidate for president it will not and should not include looking the other way if said candidate broke the law. In that situation it is every senators job to look at the evidence the same way as a juror would, without bias.

Unfortunately most of the GOP senators did not do that but kept promoting "the steal" even after jan 6th

In the case of the insurrection and lying about the 2020 election, what position would that representative be "contradicting"?

Did Senator Toomey campaign on the position that he will cowardly lie to his constituents sometimes, out of convenience?

Hmmm... I can't help but feel that the respective tax policies of the Democrats vs the Republicans will have a far greater impact on corporate donations than will Wokism ?

What does large numbers of Republicans supporting mentally disturbed QAnon racists have to do with "Wokism"?

Corporate America wants nothing to do with that crazy shirt. The debate over tax policies is meaningless until the Republican Party reforms himself and becomes a rational political party again. Maybe that will happen, maybe it won't.

What does large numbers of Republicans supporting mentally disturbed QAnon racists have to do with "Wokism"?

Corporate America wants nothing to do with that crazy shirt. The debate over tax policies is meaningless until the Republican Party reforms himself and becomes a rational political party again. Maybe that will happen, maybe it won't.
    I think you will be disappointed. If Biden decides to 'stiff' the corporations with tax hikes, then the corporations will happily support ANY party that offers lower taxes, regardless.

They’re not going to support the sedition caucus. Why do you suppose Mitch made such a stinging rebuke of Trump, followed by an equally harshly worded editorial the next day?

One credible theory is that his corporate sponsors have made it very clear to him that they don’t approve of Trump’s lies, his attempts to destabilize this country and his attempts to disenfranchise millions of voters, mostly black and brown voters. It’s not good for business.

As an aside, if Fox continues to put out an increasingly unhinged Carlson, who has recently railed against the COVID vaccine, and doubled down (last night I believe) on his insane theory that windmills and solar do not operate in cold weather, then Fox will get squeezed as well.

I think big corporations are waking up to the fact that all this far right wing nonsense (as opposed to legitimate conservatism) is threatening their bottom line. If that’s the case, I suspect we will see some changes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom