The Voting Thread (Procedures, Turnout, Legal Challenges)(Update: Trump to file suit in PA, MI, WI, AZ, NV, GA) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Lapaz

Reaction score
    There is a lot of push-back from Trump on voting by mail, but most states allow it, and 1/3 allow it without any excuse. His rationale is that it will lead to vast fraud, but of course that isn't his real reason. His real reason is that he thinks it will be worse for conservatives, but studies have shown that states that have instituted much broader voting by mail haven't had any statistical changes in party voting.

Although, normally voting by mail doesn't affect party votes, I bet it might this year if we have another resurgence of Covid, because I think the right is much more apt to discount the virus than the left. I know that is why Trump is against it.

Whether you're left or right wing, expanding mail in votes is the right thing to do to reduce the likelihood of spreading the virus, to expand voter participation, and to make it easier for those that do show up to stay distant. It will also allow any people with susceptibilities to remain safer. I think voting by mail could be made extremely secure by having people vote using traditional postal mail, coupled with requiring a confirmation either by phone, email or text. If done by phone, then voters can provide confirmation that can include confirming their form number. If done by email or text, it can include a picture of their form, and then confirmation that that was their form. Rather than staffers individually calling people, this can be automated by having voters call the number, text the number, or email the address provided to them on their form. A website can even be created with a database of those that have voted, and perhaps a link to allow people to confirm their vote was correctly registered. For people without computers, a site can include a means to access the database over the phone with some confirmation information. These types of systems are used extensively by banks and other sites that need security, so I think they are mature enough to use. We could even use such a site for people to confirm their vote on the day of the election.

I just heard on Newsmax in some race, I am not sure where, 160,000 Trump votes were thrown out, but the down ticket votes were kept. I cannot find anything else on it. I have not done an exhaustive literature search since I only heard that 5 minutes ago. Just wondering if there was any word of this from other sources.

It's Newsmax. I would take that with a massive grain of salt.

It was Seckalo (sp?) Trump's attorney who said it. I have followed politics since the early 80's, politicians have always been less than truthful, ok, they lie. But this separate reality thing is scary. Just making up stories and millions of Americans believe it like the gospel. Scary times.

The letter urged a "full, transparent audit" in Wayne county, citing "numerical anomalies and credible reports of procedural irregularities" made by a losing Republican candidate for senate.

I like how they are pretending this is about a Senate candidate who lost and not a result of their palm greasing trip to DC.

This is where we are...

Chang asked Blackburn whether she had been in contact with Biden to congratulate him, as president-elect, on his victory.

"I have not spoken with the president-elect," Blackburn said. "We did have the vice president come to the floor, the vice president-elect come to the floor this week to cast a vote. I was presiding at the time. Didn't get to speak with her."
    Later Friday night, a spokesperson for Blackburn said the comment was a mistake and that Blackburn had "been very clear" on her position about the election outcome.

"She simply misspoke — it's nothing more," said Abigail Sigler, a campaign spokesperson for Blackburn. Blackburn's Senate staff did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Sigler emailed to clarify after this story published.

Did I hear correctly on CNN that Republicans in Pennsylvania are suing saying that the Republican-led legislature passed an unconstitutional law and that every mail-in ballot needs to be invalidated?

Last edited:
    Did I hear correctly on CNN that Republicans in Pennsylvania are suing saying that the Republican-led legislature passed an unconstitutional law and that every main-in ballot needs to be invalidated?

Yes, you did.

Yes, you did.

It's funny because these very same people will, once again, become devout deficit hawks and staunch supporters for law and order.

Yes, you did.

I hope the Pensylvania voters takes notes about these people and makes sure that they will never be elected to any public office again. And that their opponents - be it republicans, independents or democrats never let the voters forget that they were willing to deny their constituents the right to have their votes counted, in order to please a sore loser in the White House

Yes, you did.

This has gone beyond being sad.

I like how they are pretending this is about a Senate candidate who lost and not a result of their palm greasing trip to DC.
    The article says the letter was written by "The Republican National Committee and the Michigan Republican Party " - not the legislators who went to DC recently. Am I correct on that?

I would think the doctrine of laches would apply. There is no way any court is going to disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of voters who relied on law that went unchallenged months or years before the election. Even applying normal scrutiny.

I would think the doctrine of laches would apply. There is no way any court is going to disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of voters who relied on law that went unchallenged months or years before the election. Even applying normal scrutiny.

Yeah, basically challenges to the process itself (as opposed to how the process is executed) have to be made before the election. I’m not sure if laches is the applicable concept (it could be) or something more specific to election law - but same idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom