The official DNC Convention thread (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

GrandAdmiral

Reaction score
    So tonight is night 1 of the Democratic convention and we'll hear from John Kasich and Michelle Obama. Thought it would be good to have a central place as the old PDB days.

While a little skeptical of the NBC headline last night, i was disappointed that AOC didnt at least *mention* the current Democratic candidate for President, which is Biden.. While it might not tacitly imply her disapproval of him (although it very well might)- she has a huge platform and the ear of many, many young Americans and i think even a mere mention of Biden from her might have gone a long way towards giving Biden a tiny amount of ‘cred’ (for lack of a better word) amongst the younger demographic...
    Exactly how I feel as well. A lot of her supporters pointed this out as well on Twitter.

Hell, case in point. Bernie Sanders stood with the Vermont delegation as they announced their vote. Obviously, Bernie won the primary and the majority of delegates for the state, but they clearly stated their support of Biden as the next president of the United States.

It doesn't take much.
    Yep, agreed. She's responsible for some of the confusion herself and frankly it's disappointing that she didn't take full advantage of her opportunity there to help Biden.

I disagree a bit. There is room imo for someone to not be totally behind Biden but is willing to work within the constructs of his administration imo.

To me full throated endorsements from someone who was just supporting another candidate, or was one themselves (cough Ted Cruz cough) the person comes off wholly disingenuous.

The bolded part of your quote describes Bernie to a T and yet he is one of Biden's biggest endorsers.

I disagree a bit. There is room imo for someone to not be totally behind Biden but is willing to work within the constructs of his administration imo.

To me full throated endorsements from someone who was just supporting another candidate, or was one themselves (cough Ted Cruz cough) the person comes off wholly disingenuous.
    When the singular alternative is the re-election of Trump and you don't even mention support for Biden.. at the least there was middle ground to be found with her wording and she chose not to go that route. Weak imo.

It's going to take support from all angles to defeat Trump and she didn't play her role to the best of her abilities last night.

Yep, agreed. She's responsible for some of the confusion herself and frankly it's disappointing that she didn't take full advantage of her opportunity there to help Biden.

You're not really understanding what he role was last night. She was there to give a nominating speech for Sanders. That was a procedural requirement of the convention. Her speech, and what was in it, was more a result of the role the DNC and Biden campaign asked her to play in the convention. Not a personal choice to dis Biden by not mentioning him. This was explained to media organizations before he speech.

That's the reason for her tweet. She tweeted her support for Biden in her response to NBC. If you want to blame somebody, blaim the DNC and Biden camp for underutilizing her.

You're not really understanding what he role was last night. She was there to give a nominating speech for Sanders. That was a procedural requirement of the convention. Her speech, and what was in it, was more a result of the role the DNC and Biden campaign asked her to play in the convention. Not a personal choice to dis Biden by not mentioning him. This was explained to media organizations before he speech.

That's the reason for her tweet. She tweeted her support for Biden in her response to NBC.
    The DNC and Biden camp asked her to not express any support for Biden in the video? That seems odd and probably ill-advised to me, but if that's specifically what they asked her to do I take back my criticism of AOC.

Maybe I missed it on the first run through but I didn't hear Hilary Clinton's name in there once.

The DNC and Biden camp asked her to not express any support for Biden in the video? That seems odd and probably ill-advised to me, but if that's specifically what they asked her to do I take back my criticism of AOC.

They asked her to give a nominating speech for Sanders, which by its very nature means that she is going to give a speech in support of Bernie Sanders and his policies. The other guy that was giving the 2nd also didn't mention Biden for the same reason.

I obviously don't know what they specifically asked or told her to do, but of course the knew what was in her speech. It was pre-recorded if I'm not mistaken.

They asked her to give a nominating speech for Sanders, which by its very nature means that she is going to give a speech in support of Bernie Sanders and his policies. The other guy that was giving the 2nd also didn't mention Biden for the same reason.

I obviously don't know what they specifically asked or told her to do, but of course the knew what was in her speech. It was pre-recorded if I'm not mistaken.
    I didn't know if there was some kind of official brief put out to the media that could be cited.

Yeah, I get what you're saying but I don't really see why seconding Bernie's nomination would, in reality, preclude her from voicing some sort of support for Biden in the video. Seems like she could have done both and it wouldn't have been that difficult to pull off.

I didn't know if there was some kind of official brief put out to the media that could be cited.

Yeah, I get what you're saying but I don't really see why seconding Bernie's nomination would, in reality, preclude her from voicing some sort of support for Biden in the video. Seems like she could have done both and it wouldn't have been that difficult to pull off.
    I don't have the press release, but there was one.

Earlier in the day, the DNC issued a press release to media outlets, including CNN, that listed Ocasio-Cortez's role of issuing a nominating speech for Sanders. She pointed this out in another follow-up tweet.

"The DNC shared the procedural purpose of my remarks to media WELL in advance. @NBC knew what was going to happen & that it was routine," she tweeted. "How does a headline that malicious & misleading happen w/ that prior knowledge?"

She also tweeted about it.

That's the reason for her tweet. She tweeted her support for Biden in her response to NBC. If you want to blame somebody, blaim the DNC and Biden camp for underutilizing her.
    If it was the DNC procedure to put forth someone to nominate an alternative, then that is a dumb procedure. I have no problem with voicing an alternative, but the procedure shouldn't prevent her from also endorsing the obvious candidate. Think of it as a ranked choice speech.

I don't have the press release, but there was one.

She also tweeted about it.

I looked for the press release on the DNC site but couldn't find it.

Anyway, I get what they were doing but it still seems ill-advised imo to not use the opportunity to voice support for Biden.

.. But enough of that dead horse.

I looked for the press release on the DNC site but couldn't find it.

Anyway, I get what they were doing but it still seems ill-advised imo to not use the opportunity to voice support for Biden.

.. But enough of that dead horse.

Wait, wait...are we finally going to let an equine rest in peace?!

Maybe I missed it on the first run through but I didn't hear Hilary Clinton's name in there once.

This was also the year Sanders' voters were openly booing Clinton's name during the convention.

If it was the DNC procedure to put forth someone to nominate an alternative, then that is a dumb procedure. I have no problem with voicing an alternative, but the procedure shouldn't prevent her from also endorsing the obvious candidate. Think of it as a ranked choice speech.

Yeah. Blame the DNC and the general adherence to tradition and dogma. Don't really know what to tell you. Like I said, they should have given her a different role in the convention. When you're nominating somebody for something, you role is to give a speech in support of that person. I don't understand why y'all keep blaming her for doing what they asked her to do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom