Supreme Court rules prayer led by coach is A-OK (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

V Chip

Truth Addict
    Reaction score

Surprised this one wasn’t posted yet; in another precedent-ignoring decision, the SC ruled 6-3 that prayer led by coach after football games is not an establishment or endorsement of religion.

In high school my coach always led us in a prayer before and after games.

I wasn't religious, but i always bowed my head and pretended, because i didn't want the rest of the team to know I was going to hell.

No one had to pressure anyone to pretend to pray, it was intrinsic. It's not like it traumatized me, but just the act of a team prayer especially led by the coach, puts pressure on anyone on the team. In team sports, you don't want to seem like an individual.
    I would have done the same thing. I played for 10 years and don't remember ever praying but if a coach had I would have just gone along. However, for me, that was 60 years ago and much of it in a private school, things are different now.

With the recent upholding of the 2nd, Roe being overturned and now this.....best month for American liberties by the SCOTUS in a long long time. Maybe ever.

If someone is worried about traumatizing kids by a prayer before a game, then you need to toughen up your kids a little because it is a pretty unforgiving world out there. And someone said you don't want to be an individual when playing team sports. yeah, hence the part about team. If you don't want to be part of the team don't be. If you don't want to pray, don't.
    If you can't stand up for your convictions, you zero right to ask others to quell theirs.

With the recent upholding of the 2nd, Roe being overturned and now this.....best month for American liberties by the SCOTUS in a long long time. Maybe ever.

If someone is worried about traumatizing kids by a prayer before a game, then you need to toughen up your kids a little because it is a pretty unforgiving world out there. And someone said you don't want to be an individual when playing team sports. yeah, hence the part about team. If you don't want to be part of the team don't be. If you don't want to pray, don't.
    If you can't stand up for your convictions, you zero right to ask others to quell theirs.
    BS, anyone who wants to pray before, during, or after a game can do so to themselves. Otherwise, they can mind their own business.

BTW, ditto abortion, mind your own business.

What do you think about the ability of a Jewish player or just a non-religious player to choose to not participate in such an activity? Knowing this man controls your playing time? In my state, schools use public funds for sports, IIRC. This is coerced participation in a religious activity.
    I'd say they should stick to their convictions and if some untoward behavior comes from the coach(es) then you file a lawsuit and allege the stuff specifically. Force the federal courts to either back their reasoning our betray their potential hypocrisy.

If someone is worried about traumatizing kids by a prayer before a game, then you need to toughen up your kids a little because it is a pretty unforgiving world out there.
    Where is this Farb when Republicans are trying to ban books or tell teachers they cannot mention in the classroom that gay people exist?

🤮

So you'd keep your head down and mouth shut about prayers to Allah and references about becoming a muslim after every high school football game then, right?

And since you're so concerned about life, you're going to be right there with the Democrats plans for affordable healthcare, childcare, maternity leave, etc.....right?

LOL

Last edited:
    I'd say they should stick to their convictions and if some untoward behavior comes from the coach(es) then you file a lawsuit and allege the stuff specifically. Force the federal courts to either back their reasoning our betray their potential hypocrisy.
    Yeah, you get one chance to play HS football, if you’re lucky enough and talented enough. And we know now that the courts specifically won’t back you up. I would say very nearly 100% will shut up and play along. It’s stupid and unChristian of the coach to do that.

It just reinforced my lack of faith.

Our coach usually prayed for no one on either team to get injured. Someone got injured in almost every game.

If god is real, it must hate my coach.

Yep. Sharia Law is finally a thing in the U.S..

In high school my coach always led us in a prayer before and after games.

I wasn't religious, but i always bowed my head and pretended, because i didn't want the rest of the team to know I was going to hell.

No one had to pressure anyone to pretend to pray, it was intrinsic. It's not like it traumatized me, but just the act of a team prayer especially led by the coach, puts pressure on anyone on the team. In team sports, you don't want to seem like an individual.

We did it too. At the time I was super naive and religious and thought we needed more prayer in schools, not less.

Of course now I feel totally different on that. I was just a dumb kid.

..please explain how restricting rights of women is great for their American liberties.

I hope that a Muslim wants to do this because you’ll be able to show your support. Or a Jew or a Wiccan or a Hindu or a Satanist or anyone but a Christian.

On a related note
    ==============

Two North Carolina workers allege they were fired for not participating in daily company prayer sessions, according to a lawsuit filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on Monday.

John McGaha and Mackenzie Saunders claim that their former employer, Aurora Pro Services in Greensboro, created a hostile work environment because they refused to attend mandatory Christian-based “prayer meetings.”

The lawsuit comes after the Supreme Court ruled in favor of a former high school football coach who was disciplined by a Washington state school board for praying at midfield after a football game, a decision some religious liberties advocates hail as a victory for freedom of religious expression.

The EEOC lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Greensboro, on Monday, says Aurora Pro Services, which has between 11 and 50 employees, did not provide religious accommodation for the two non-Christian plaintiffs, discriminatorily discharged them and punitively diminished McGaha’s wages.

Aurora Pro Services didn’t respond to a request for comment……

McGaha, who worked for the company from June to September of 2020 as a construction manager, noticed that the length of the prayer meetings increased from about 20 minutes to 45 minutes or more as time passed.

He attended the prayers circles shortly after starting the job but began to find them intolerable because of how religious they became.

In late August 202o, McGaha asked the owner if he could exclude himself from the daily prayers because they were conflicting with his own beliefs of atheism, but his request was met with a response that it was in his “best interest” to attend, according to the complaint.
McGaha made the same request a few weeks later, only to be told that his feelings and beliefs about the prayer meetings didn’t matter and that his presence was mandatory.

According to the lawsuit, at one prayer circle meeting, the owner told McGaha, “If you do not participate, that is okay, you don’t have to work here. You are getting paid to be here.”

Shortly after, McGaha received an email informing him that his weekly pay would be reduced by 50 percent.

He was fired shortly after…….

I hope that a Muslim wants to do this because you’ll be able to show your support. Or a Jew or a Wiccan or a Hindu or a Satanist or anyone but a Christian.
    That would restrict his freedom, and would thus be intolerable. S/

Religious freedom means that all types of Christians should be able to pray to Jesus however they wish.

It really doesn't even mean that. There is already open resentment of progressive churches from the anti-liberty, christofascist sects that are waging their campaign of hate and control over others.

If what is happening were to play out to its completion, catholics will eventually find themselves on the receiving end of evangelical hatred. The Vatican is just another power structure that evangelicals won't answer to and don't believe is of their god. The history of conflict between protestants and catholics is already well known. evangelicals ultimately see themselves alone at the top of the hierarchy. Many might feel they are united by shared interests today, but there will be an expiration on that.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom