Supreme Court rules prayer led by coach is A-OK (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

V Chip

Truth Addict
    Reaction score

Surprised this one wasn’t posted yet; in another precedent-ignoring decision, the SC ruled 6-3 that prayer led by coach after football games is not an establishment or endorsement of religion.

It's very principle Jefferson expresses in that letter to the Danbury baptists:

He is explicitly saying there that the wording of the Constitution prevents religion from interfering with government and government from interfering with religion.
    I also left out the beginning part which adds even greater clarity as to what he meant
    Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God,
    I would actually argue that he was extremely clear in the letter regarding his views that a wall of separation meant no interference one way or the other between government and religion and I don't see anything in there that runs at all contrary to that.

separatedprotected the church FROM the state.

If I build a wall between a married man and the guy having an affair with that man's wife, I have separated them from one another. The married man is protected from having to deal with the cheater and the cheater is protected from the married man's anger. That's how a wall works. What you are describing is a gate.

Yes, people showed me their opinion and I still think they are wrong. Got anything new, beside 'it might'? Otherwise, you are arguing your opinion and based on your past, I think we all know where that goes....caricature and all.
    So you knew I and others had read the statute, yet you still made that comment “did you read the statute.” That is trolling. Stop being a troll, and maybe people would take you seriously. As it is, you remain a caricature.

Where is it in the 1st that is shows freedom FROM religion?
    It's the first sentence:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Again, he didn't force anyone to pray. They could leave. If they don't care enough about their moral fortitude to walk away, then why should anyone else care about their moral dilemma? They don't.
    Of course he didn't... :hihi:

... and it's not like Christians treat non-Christians (especially atheists) differently, no Sir!...

As for Jefferson, you are reading him wrong.

Last edited:
    Sadly the Establishment Clause has been interpreted into meaninglessness. It only prevents the government from literally saying: "The official religion is now Christianity." Meanwhile they can cram their religious beliefs down everyone's throat by codifying it into law. The right's version of Sharia law. I only hope that there is some cognitive realization between clinical brain death and oblivion where these people will ultimately realize religion is all fiction and they lived a lie.

Where is it in the 1st that is shows freedom FROM religion? It actually is that religion is free FROM the state. Have you read the letters where Jefferson states exactly what he meant by the phrase?

Again, he didn't force anyone to pray. They could leave. If they don't care enough about their moral fortitude to walk away, then why should anyone else care about their moral dilemma? They don't.
    Look, it's real simple. The football field isn't a church. You want to get a bunch of students together to pray, go with them to church, or bring them to your house. I don't pay for athletic fields, coaches, or shoulder pads, so some religiously overzealous middle-aged man can spout his beliefs about how the universe began.

Edit to add: BTW, the one who should be walking away is the coach. The game is over.

Last edited:
    Look, it's real simple. The football field isn't a church. You want to get a bunch of students together to pray, go with them to church, or bring them to your house. I don't pay for athletic fields, coaches, or shoulder pads, so some religiously overzealous middle-aged man can spout his beliefs about how the universe began.

Edit to add: BTW, the one who should be walking away is the coach. The game is over.

Not including a book on Japanese internment in WWII. I don’t understand why white people are so fragile. I am a white (about as white as you can get) who grew up in the Deep South. I was taught America could do no wrong, Bobby Lee was the greatest general of all time, and the Civil War was only about states rights.

As I encountered information that disproved what I had been taught, my opinions changed. I didn’t get mad at the people/information that were showing me the accurate information. I got mad at the people that taught me outright lies.

They're coming for the 1st amendment, and they'll get it. Soon, we'll all have to act like we worship their demon or we won't be able to work. If they get the first amendment, they'll take away what's left of true journalism, and we can kiss unions goodbye.

I can see this case going to the supreme court just because the lower courts know what will happen.

Sure there are people out there like that. There are also people that want to live in a communist country and want all religion to be force underground. Do you recognize that?

Firstly, it's not a few people. It's millions

Your 2nd point is a Red Herring.

Regarding the prayer issue....they need to read Matthew chapter 6.

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.
    But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom