Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not long ago Kari Lake proclaimed Arizona's abortion law was a great law and wanted it the law of the state.

Now that she has gotten her way, she is lobbying for it to be repealed.

As I have been saying since 2022, the overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly boasts that he got rid of Roe V. Wade. Nor are those women going to vote for a forced birther politician.

Turns out, republican belief in "pro life" was all just lies to get votes. Who is surprised? I sure am not.

How many forced birthers will do the same about face?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ka ... r-BB1ltx3I.

Arizona Republican Senate candidate Kari Lake is actively lobbying state lawmakers to overturn a 160-year-old law she once supported that bans abortion in almost all cases, a source with knowledge of her efforts told CNN.

People who think they are “pro-life” and who have opposed abortion, if you are honest about it, was this what you had in mind? It’s hard to escape the fact that the cruelty seems to be the point:

People who think they are “pro-life” and who have opposed abortion, if you are honest about it, was this what you had in mind? It’s hard to escape the fact that the cruelty seems to be the point:

You are taking it out of context!!!

Or something like that.

Duh! Who could have seen that coming!

The foster care system is already overwhelmed and Dobbs will break the system completely. The inevitable result will lead to a nationwide boom in homelessness, crime, and sex trafficking.

I keep telling my Republicans friends that we probably move from New Orleans soon.

Why?

If y’all thought the crime is a problem now, just wait 10 -15 years! I haven’t gotten a good response yet!

I wish them luck

Idaho faces another challenge to its abortion bans in federal court, but this time from the Satanic Temple, which argues the state’s abortion laws are unconstitutional violations of property rights, the equal protection clause, religious freedom and involuntary servitude.

The cynic in me wonders if this is an election ploy.

“See, abortions are legal again. No need to vote against republicans in the mid terms ladies”

Then afterwards, lo and behold abortions are banned again
    ================================

PHOENIX (AP) — Abortions can take place again in Arizona, at least for now, after an appeals court on Friday blocked enforcement of a pre-statehood law that almost entirely criminalized the procedure.

The three-judge panel of the Arizona Court of Appeals agreed with Planned Parenthood that a judge should not have lifted the decades-old order that prevented the older law from being imposed…….

I'm not following the legal proceedings in other states closely but it sort of reminds me of the pointless legal battles that were fought in Louisiana a couple of months ago trying to stave off enforcement of a ban that was going to happen regardless. It gave a false sense of hope when the Louisiana Constitution had already been changed to bar abortion such that when Roe was overturned, the state judiciary had no basis to intervene.

I'm pretty sure that women going to an abortion clinic know they have the option to not get an abortion
    ====================================================================

Arizona gubernatorial candidate and MAGA hardliner Kari Lake claimed in an interview aired Sunday that “true choice” means the option for a woman to keep her baby or put it up for adoption.

Along the way, she awkwardly tried to reconcile her own recent hardline stance on banning abortion with an electorate that pulled the lever for Joe Biden two years ago.

“I’m for giving women true choices,” Lake said on CBS’ Face the Nation. “When they walk into an abortion center, they’re only given one choice. They’re not told that you have the choice to keep your baby, and we can help, and here’s how. Or, we can help you find a loving family that will adopt your baby.”..........

I'm pretty sure that women going to an abortion clinic know they have the option to not get an abortion
    ====================================================================

Arizona gubernatorial candidate and MAGA hardliner Kari Lake claimed in an interview aired Sunday that “true choice” means the option for a woman to keep her baby or put it up for adoption.

Along the way, she awkwardly tried to reconcile her own recent hardline stance on banning abortion with an electorate that pulled the lever for Joe Biden two years ago.

“I’m for giving women true choices,” Lake said on CBS’ Face the Nation. “When they walk into an abortion center, they’re only given one choice. They’re not told that you have the choice to keep your baby, and we can help, and here’s how. Or, we can help you find a loving family that will adopt your baby.”..........

What is it about Arizona and complete whack jobs who run for office there?

Three Jewish women in Kentucky have filed a lawsuit arguing that a set of state laws that ban most abortions violate their religious rights.

The lawsuit, filed in Jefferson Circuit Court in Louisville, is the third such suit brought by Jewish organizations or individuals since the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the right to an abortion in its ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization.

In all three suits — the first in Florida, the second in Indiana — the Jewish plaintiffs claim their state is infringing on their religious freedom by imposing a Christian understanding of when life begins.

Under current Kentucky laws, life begins at the moment of fertilization. Another law bans abortion after six weeks when cardiac activity is first detected.

Abortion will be on the ballot next month when Kentuckians decide the fate of a proposed constitutional amendment that would eliminate the right to abortion in the state.

“There are a whole patchwork of laws, passed over the last 20 years,” said Ben Potash, one of the lawyers who filed the complaint. “They’re internally inconsistent and, put together, very vague.”

Most Jews believe abortion is allowed and, in some cases, even required.

“Judaism has never defined life beginning at conception,” the Kentucky suit says, adding that “millenia of commentary from Jewish scholars has reaffirmed Judaism’s commitment to reproductive rights.”..........

Three Jewish women in Kentucky have filed a lawsuit arguing that a set of state laws that ban most abortions violate their religious rights.

The lawsuit, filed in Jefferson Circuit Court in Louisville, is the third such suit brought by Jewish organizations or individuals since the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the right to an abortion in its ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization.

In all three suits — the first in Florida, the second in Indiana — the Jewish plaintiffs claim their state is infringing on their religious freedom by imposing a Christian understanding of when life begins.

Under current Kentucky laws, life begins at the moment of fertilization. Another law bans abortion after six weeks when cardiac activity is first detected.

Abortion will be on the ballot next month when Kentuckians decide the fate of a proposed constitutional amendment that would eliminate the right to abortion in the state.

“There are a whole patchwork of laws, passed over the last 20 years,” said Ben Potash, one of the lawyers who filed the complaint. “They’re internally inconsistent and, put together, very vague.”

Most Jews believe abortion is allowed and, in some cases, even required.

“Judaism has never defined life beginning at conception,” the Kentucky suit says, adding that “millenia of commentary from Jewish scholars has reaffirmed Judaism’s commitment to reproductive rights.”..........

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    The 1st Amendment. Republicans love it until they don't. But most simply don't understand it in the least. All of these abortion laws prevent people of Jewish faith from practicing ALL the tenets of their religion. If a baker has the right to discriminate based on his "strongly held religious beliefs, it follows that a Jewish woman should have the right to practice her religious beliefs by having an abortion. The government cannot simply decide to ignore one religion's tenets in favor of another. Of course, we are talking about this Trumplican Supreme Court.

The 1st Amendment. Republicans love it until they don't. But most simply don't understand it in the least. All of these abortion laws prevent people of Jewish faith from practicing ALL the tenets of their religion. If a baker has the right to discriminate based on his "strongly held religious beliefs, it follows that a Jewish woman should have the right to practice her religious beliefs by having an abortion. The government cannot simply decide to ignore one religion's tenets in favor of another. Of course, we are talking about this Trumplican Supreme Court.

You see one wants to use their strongly held Christian beliefs to discriminate against people we hate and the other wants to use their deeply held Jewish beliefs to do something that we hate

One is a Hell Yeah!, the other is a Hell Naw!
    The government cannot simply decide to ignore one religion's tenets in favor of another.

SCOTUS:

Abortion is now banned or severely restricted in 14 states in the US, the outcome of a decades-long campaign by anti-abortion advocates. In many states, abortion is no longer seen as a health procedure, but a morality issue. Pennsylvania’s Doug Mastriano – once a state senator, now running for governor – is one of a number of Republican politicians who has called for murder charges for people who defy abortion bans.

In 13 of those 14 states, abortion is banned even in the earliest stages of pregnancy.

These images, supplied to us by the MYA Network, a network of clinicians and activists who came together earlier in the pandemic when some states tried to deem abortion as “non-essential” medical care, show what tissue in the first nine weeks of pregnancy actually looks like…..

6-Week-scaled.jpg

Six Weeks

9-Week-scaled.jpg

Nine Weeks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom