Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Brennan77

Reaction score
    Always has been about controlling women. Always.

this woman, nominated to be a judge, was treated by Rs on the judiciary committee as certainly “less than” a full person. It’s disgusting.

One thing to observe about these state laws and how they are received in court is that state constitutions are generally very similar to the US Constitution - except they often contain additional provisions, including certain individual rights. Some states, for example, have express privacy rights that the US Constitution doesn't have - which was part of the basis for the Dobbs decision.

I don't think this Indiana ruling is based on a privacy provision, but rather a personal liberty provision. But even that is an area where individual state constitutions may have a say on these new abortion bans.

A Florida prosecutor suspended by Ron DeSantisfor defying a new 15-week abortion law says a federal judge’s decision to send his reinstatement appeal to trial means a reckoning is coming for the state’s Republican governor.

Andrew Warren, a Democrat, was removed as Hillsborough county state attorney on 4 August after saying he would not enforce the abortion ban or prosecute providers of gender transition treatment for young people.

DeSantis cited Warren’s alleged “woke agenda” in reasons for his decision.

At a hearing in Tallahassee on Monday, Judge Robert Hinkle denied motions from DeSantis to dismiss Warren’s lawsuit, and another by Warren seeking an immediate return to office, instead requesting their differences be settled at a trial in the coming weeks.

“The governor now has to answer it to a court of law where facts matter and where you have to tell the truth,” Warren said in an interview with the Guardian.

“It’s a victory for the truth. A federal judge has ruled that the governor has to come into court to explain the reasons behind my suspension, to show that it wasn’t political, to show that it wasn’t in violation of my free speech rights, to show that it wasn’t in violation of the voters’ rights to have the state attorney of their choice.”……

You know, I have found out that in my state you cannot just remove an elected official like that. We have had a township trustee demonstrate actual incompetence, mishandling money, etc, and the county board cannot remove her because she was elected. Never was a problem before now I guess. This is on a very local level, and caused the state legislature to take up the issue. They did pass a mechanism, which has 3 different levels which must be satisfied to remove any elected official, including appearing before a judge who must sign off.

I think this is proper-the will of the people should be paramount; removing an elected official should be a serious matter. This is where DeSantis reveals himself as a wannabe dictator. He cares nothing about the will of the people. Only his own personal interests. He is not qualified to hold a position of public trust.

You know, I have found out that in my state you cannot just remove an elected official like that. We have had a township trustee demonstrate actual incompetence, mishandling money, etc, and the county board cannot remove her because she was elected. Never was a problem before now I guess. This is on a very local level, and caused the state legislature to take up the issue. They did pass a mechanism, which has 3 different levels which must be satisfied to remove any elected official, including appearing before a judge who must sign off.

I think this is proper-the will of the people should be paramount; removing an elected official should be a serious matter. This is where DeSantis reveals himself as a wannabe dictator. He cares nothing about the will of the people. Only his own personal interests. He is not qualified to hold a position of public trust.

The GOP preaches less Government, but we all know that it’s just the opposite!

Last edited:
    Add Arizona to the list
    =================
    Arizona can enforce a near-total ban on abortions that has been blocked for nearly 50 years, a judge ruled Friday, meaning that clinics statewide will have to stop providing the procedures to avoid criminal charges against doctors and other medical workers.

The judge lifted a decades-old injunction that blocked enforcement of the law on the books since before Arizona became a state. The only exemption to the ban is if the woman’s life is in jeopardy.

The ruling means the state’s abortions clinics will have to shut down and anyone seeking an abortion will have to go out of state. The ruling takes effect immediately, although an appeal is possible.

Abortion providers have been on a rollercoaster since June, when the US supreme court overturned the landmark 1973 Roe v Wade decision guaranteeing women a constitutional right to an abortion, allowing states to regulate abortion as they wish.

Planned Parenthood had urged the judge not to allow enforcement, and its president declared that the ruling “takes Arizonans back to living under an archaic, 150-year-old law”.

Mark Brnovich, the Republican attorney general, who had urged the judge to lift the injunction so the ban could be enforced, cheered……..

Thought this was a good article
    ========================

Zoé Champion was 19 when she had an abortion. She was 26 when she realized it was an abortion.

Champion, who was sitting her high school exams in France at the time, had developed a pregnancy outside the uterus, threatening to rupture her fallopian tubes – a condition medically known as an ectopic pregnancy. The doctors intervened immediately, ending the pregnancy and saving her life.

But similarly to cookbook author and model Chrissy Teigen, who this week spoke out about miscategorizing her own abortion as a miscarriage, Champion didn’t realize she’d had an abortion until long after.

“It wasn’t an abortion for me [at the time]. I think because my health was at stake, there was no decision to be made,” says Champion, now 31 and living in New York.

Teigen told an audience at a social impact summit that she was pregnant with her third child with her husband, the singer John Legend, when she learned her pregnancy would not be viable – and that she would not survive without medical intervention.

“[It was] an abortion to save my life for a baby that had absolutely no chance. And to be honest, I never, ever put that together until, actually, a few months ago,” Teigen said.

She had very publicly discussed her pregnancy loss as a miscarriage at the time. It was only after the right to an abortion, long established by the supreme court in Roe v Wade, was overturned this summer that she realized she’d had the procedure: when she told Legend that she empathized with people who have an abortion, he pointed out she was one.

Although it is common for many people to think of miscarriage and abortion as entirely separate matters, doctors say that medically the distinction isn’t so clear.

Many doctors consider an abortion as any termination of pregnancy, whether through spontaneous miscarriage or a voluntary action like taking pills to induce one.

The line between voluntary and involuntary also shifts and blurs: a patient might start spontaneously bleeding during a wanted pregnancy, then require an intervention; a different patient might want to end their pregnancy only to be told to wait because early signs suggest it will be unsuccessful anyway (around a quarter of pregnancies end spontaneously)……..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom