/* */

Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not long ago Kari Lake proclaimed Arizona's abortion law was a great law and wanted it the law of the state.

Now that she has gotten her way, she is lobbying for it to be repealed.

As I have been saying since 2022, the overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly boasts that he got rid of Roe V. Wade. Nor are those women going to vote for a forced birther politician.

Turns out, republican belief in "pro life" was all just lies to get votes. Who is surprised? I sure am not.

How many forced birthers will do the same about face?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ka ... r-BB1ltx3I.

Arizona Republican Senate candidate Kari Lake is actively lobbying state lawmakers to overturn a 160-year-old law she once supported that bans abortion in almost all cases, a source with knowledge of her efforts told CNN.

I don't think they're going to advertise it with wording that would give it away like that. As pointed out by another poster, they'll dress it up as something else. Understandable.

It's hard to keep that "dress up" going when you're being interviewed by law enforcement under penalty of perjury.

It's hard to keep that "dress up" going when you're being interviewed by law enforcement under penalty of perjury.
    Yeah. Probably.

Something else...I just read that while not new, Virginia's AG said in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't prosecute abortions in his state. I suspect he won't be the only AG who says this.

Yeah. Probably.

Something else...I just read that while not new, Virginia's AG said in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't prosecute abortions in his state. I suspect he won't be the only AG who says this.

Virginia doesn't have a pre-viability abortion prohibition.

I really don't think people are going to move to another state based on abortion laws - at least not enough to have a demographic impact. It's much cheaper and easier to just travel to the other state if you need an abortion.
    It's not abortion per se as it is the red state mentality. A lot of young people don't want to live in a state that would ban abortion. There's a reason a lot of the Deep South and rust belt states are growing increasingly red -- young people don't want to stay/live in Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Ohio, Wisconsin, etc.

Virginia doesn't have a pre-viability abortion prohibition.
    This is where I read up on it.

It's not abortion per se as it is the red state mentality. A lot of young people don't want to live in a state that would ban abortion. There's a reason a lot of the Deep South and rust belt states are growing increasingly red -- young people don't want to stay/live in Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Ohio, Wisconsin, etc.

I definitely think that's true - and states that enact strong abortion prohibitions are going to see their out-of-state college enrollments drop and they're going to see companies with recruiting problems.

I'm just saying I don't see how it changes demographics. It doesn't make a blue state turn red.

I definitely think that's true - and states that enact strong abortion prohibitions are going to see their out-of-state college enrollments drop and they're going to see companies with recruiting problems.

I'm just saying I don't see how it changes demographics. It doesn't make a blue state turn red.
    It's more of a consolidation of redness. The deep red states will never flip in our lifetimes. Texas is, perhaps, still up in the air since it has multiple left-leaning and up-and-coming urban centers.

Where you not saying that after Barrett was confirmed that they wouldn’t overturn Roe vs Wade? Or am I wrong again?
    I said I'd be surprised if they did. But that was before I had even heard of this case. I'm not shocked, but still somewhat surprised that it came this quickly.

I do think if the country wants abortion access legalized across the country, it needs to be codified into law. Won't happen in this iteration of Congress. Maybe this changes the narrative in the elections this fall. We'll see.

Unfortunately I don't think the elections will yield practical results. Murkowski and Collins seem to be pro-choice but even if you include them, the Dems would need 58 Senate seats to pass legislation. I don't think that is possible in 2022.

I said I'd be surprised if they did. But that was before I had even heard of this case. I'm not shocked, but still somewhat surprised that it came this quickly.

I do think if the country wants abortion access legalized across the country, it needs to be codified into law. Won't happen in this iteration of Congress. Maybe this changes the narrative in the elections this fall. We'll see.
    I don't think it could be codified intob federal law.. this Court would just strike that down as well.

Unfortunately I don't think the elections will yield practical results. Murkowski and Collins seem to be pro-choice but even if you include them, the Dems would need 58 Senate seats to pass legislation. I don't think that is possible in 2022.
    Probably not in '22, right. The math doesn't add up. The target would probably have to be '24.

I don't think it could be codified intob federal law.. this Court would just strike that down as well.
    I'm not sure. Didn't the majority opinion state that it needed to be codified? I'm not sure if that was specifically stated or if that was just reporting commentary.

Where you not saying that after Barrett was confirmed that they wouldn’t overturn Roe vs Wade? Or am I wrong again?

They pedaled the questions - they said it was "settled law" and the like. They strongly suggested that means they wouldn't overturn it. But they never said they wouldn't overturn it.

Last edited:
    I'm not sure. Didn't the majority opinion state that it needed to be codified? I'm not sure if that was specifically stated or if that was just reporting commentary.
    An amendment to the Constitution would do it, but that's not happening.

A simple law passed by Congress and signed by the President would be subject to being found as unconstitutional on some grounds related to it being a federal overreach by forcing the states to accept abortions.

@superchuck500 I'm on the right track more or less don't you think?

Before the decision leaked, i would have said that the court wouldn't be overturning Roe.

I was gullible i guess, but i think this is a case where conservatives should have been more careful about what they wished for. They had November all wrapped up, this decision is the only possibility the Democrats had to get their turnout high enough to avoid a red wave.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom