Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not long ago Kari Lake proclaimed Arizona's abortion law was a great law and wanted it the law of the state.

Now that she has gotten her way, she is lobbying for it to be repealed.

As I have been saying since 2022, the overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly boasts that he got rid of Roe V. Wade. Nor are those women going to vote for a forced birther politician.

Turns out, republican belief in "pro life" was all just lies to get votes. Who is surprised? I sure am not.

How many forced birthers will do the same about face?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ka ... r-BB1ltx3I.

Arizona Republican Senate candidate Kari Lake is actively lobbying state lawmakers to overturn a 160-year-old law she once supported that bans abortion in almost all cases, a source with knowledge of her efforts told CNN.

I've had the general idea of Jesus returning only for those people to find out he's not interested in saving the ones like them who believe they're righteous but have willfully misinterpreted the meaning of all of it.
    Misinterpreted or cherry picked. The crazies with giant families like the Duggars, for example, sure weren't paying attention to the instructions given in Matthew 19:12.

I've had the general idea of Jesus returning only for those people to find out he's not interested in saving the ones like them who believe they're righteous but have willfully misinterpreted the meaning of all of it.

The whole idea of a conservative Christian is weird, and probably not possible. Jesus never once said a word about abortion, which has been conservative Christians obsession for decades. Jesus did talk a lot about wealth though. You can't actually marry corporate greed to "real" Christianity. This group solely ushered in America's second gilded age.

Conservative ideology is itself about creating outgroups, and being exclusionary. It was Blacks, now it's poor immigrants, and trans. Jesus went against this in his time, and hung out with all of the "outgroups". It's gotten bad enough that in polling Republicans think of Democrats as "The Enemy". I have somehow become the Great Satan because I want our society to do a better job taking care of the disabled, and poor?

It's kind of funny because both sides now think of themselves as morally superior to the other. Only one side has actual scripture on their side though.

The whole idea of a conservative Christian is weird, and probably not possible. Jesus never once said a word about abortion, which has been conservative Christians obsession for decades. Jesus did talk a lot about wealth though. You can't actually marry corporate greed to "real" Christianity. This group solely ushered in America's second gilded age.

Conservative ideology is itself about creating outgroups, and being exclusionary. It was Blacks, now it's poor immigrants, and trans. Jesus went against this in his time, and hung out with all of the "outgroups". It's gotten bad enough that in polling Republicans think of Democrats as "The Enemy". I have somehow become the Great Satan because I want our society to do a better job taking care of the disabled, and poor?

It's kind of funny because both sides now think of themselves as morally superior to the other. Only one side has actual scripture on their side though.
    Certainly. Christians often conveniently forget or ignore that sharing wealth, not coveting stuff, caring for orphans and widows in distress and loving the unloved are supposed to be hallmarks of Christian life.

The supposedly ”moderate” abortion ban in NC includes sneaky measures that will presumably cause many of the current clinics in the state have to close, even as they say that they are allowing abortions up until 12 weeks. The bill reclassifies abortion clinics as “ambulatory surgery centers” which requires them to change their HVAC systems and widen their hallways. It also requires them to have emergency personnel and equipment on hand at all times. None of this is needed for these procedures. Over 60% of abortions in NC are medication abortions, and classifying these clinics as “ambulatory surgery centers” is a transparent way to drive them out of business. Dishonest.

I see Pence doesn’t want to be elected either. I don’t want to hear another man ever decide what women can or cannot do. Ever. White hot rage wells up when I hear these guys.

Baby Milo’s grandfather thought he might have hiccups. Instead, the newborn was gasping for air.

Born without kidneys, his lungs underdeveloped, Milo Evan Dorbert lived for all of 99 minutes. The cause of death was Potter syndrome, discovered at 23 weeks of pregnancy.

The cause of unnecessary suffering, for Milo and his family, was a Florida law that doctors said prevented them from terminating the pregnancy, even though it was clear the condition would be fatal.

“To me it’s just pure torture,” said Peter Rogell, the baby’s grandfather. “The law has created torture.” I hope every lawmaker who voted for it, and the governor who signed it, reads, and is haunted by, The Post’s searing account, by Frances Stead Sellers, Thomas Simonetti and Maggie Penman.

The law’s advocates insist that they intended to create an exception to allow abortions in such cases: It requires that two doctors certify in writing that the fetus suffers from a “fatal fetal abnormality,” defined as “a terminal condition that, in reasonable medical judgment, regardless of the provision of lifesaving medical treatment, is incompatible with life outside the womb and will result in death upon birth or imminently thereafter.”

“It was my intention not to require a woman to maintain a pregnancy when doctors agree the baby is not viable,” Kelli Stargel, a former Republican state senator who was one of the bill’s key sponsors, told The Post.

That may have been her intention, but it’s almost inevitable as an outcome. Doctors who violate the law risk losing their licenses and face prison terms of up to five years. It may seem obvious that Milo’s case qualified for an exception. But lawyers are trained to avoid risks, not take them.

And doctors do not want to — they shouldn’t be forced to — risk their livelihoods and freedom on the hope that prosecutors will be reasonable and the court system will sort things out.

We might wish for more bravery, more willingness to put the best interests of patients ahead of doctors’ own personal and professional jeopardy, but that is asking an awful lot…….

…….The state’s ban on abortion after 15 weeks of gestation has an exception for fatal fetal abnormalities. But as long as their baby’s heart kept beating, the Dorberts say, doctors would not honor their request to terminate the pregnancy.

The doctors would not say how they reached their decision, but the new law carries severe penalties, including prison time, for medical practitioners who run afoul of it. The hospital system declined to discuss the case.

Instead, the Dorberts would have to wait for labor to be induced at 37 weeks.

For the next three months, the Dorberts did their best to prepare for their second son’s short life. They consulted with palliative care experts and decided against trying to prolong his life with high-tech interventions.

“The most important thing for us was to let him know he was loved,” Deborah said.

The day before Milo was born, the Dorberts sat down with their son Kaiden to explain that the baby’s body had stopped working and that he would not come home. Instead, someday, they told Kaiden, they would all meet as angels. The 4-year-old burst into tears, telling them that he did not want to be an angel…..

The mail brings reminders of the Dorberts’ new financial burdens, invoices for all the things they wish had never happened: $12,320 so far in medical costs — not including induction and delivery, $7,000 for Milo’s cremation and funeral, and $500 for the keepsakes in memory of their son.

The bills keep coming. Deborah estimates that Lee’s health insurance will pick up about half of the medical costs, some of which will be offset by a GoFundMe appeal that one of her sisters set up.

The Dorberts have no idea how their grief will evolve, or if they will ever come to terms with losing control over the most painful decision of their lives……

Nebraska antiabortion groups and GOP lawmakers were stunned. In late April, their effort to ban most abortions was tanked by an unlikely person: 80-year-old Sen. Merv Riepe, a longtime Republican.

Instead, on Friday, Nebraska’s conservative legislature voted to ban abortions at 12 weeks of pregnancy — a threshold that significantly narrows the window for legal abortions but still allows the vast majority to occur.

A few days earlier, North Carolina Republicans used their legislative supermajority to enact a similar 12-week ban, calling it a “mainstream” approach that would be more broadly accepted than the stricter bans many conservatives had sought to pass.

And in neighboring South Carolina, state Sen. Katrina Shealy (R) told The Washington Post that she and the other female GOP senators who blocked a near-total ban are planning to push for a 12-week ban on most abortions when the state Senate takes up a bill next week restricting abortion after roughly six weeks of pregnancy.

“We can’t live at the extremes,” North Carolina Sen. Amy Galey (R) said in an interview. “As a country, we can find a way to take a difficult issue and resolve it without a huge amount of acrimony and viciousness.”…….

12 weeks is an illusion, especially after NC is forcing any clinic that performs abortions to be classified as an OP surgery center, even if the abortions are medication abortions.

Also, 12 weeks does nothing to help those women who have emergencies later in the pregnancy. They will still be forced to wait until they develop sepsis, or hemorrhage, or some other emergency to “prove” that their lives are in danger because of these bills.

Women carrying non-viable fetuses will still be forced to carry them to term, whether that is their choice or not, by these laws.

These laws are not “moderate” in any way, shape or form, as long as they try to limit what care doctors can provide to women with problems during pregnancies.

Baby Milo’s grandfather thought he might have hiccups. Instead, the newborn was gasping for air.

Born without kidneys, his lungs underdeveloped, Milo Evan Dorbert lived for all of 99 minutes. The cause of death was Potter syndrome, discovered at 23 weeks of pregnancy.

The cause of unnecessary suffering, for Milo and his family, was a Florida law that doctors said prevented them from terminating the pregnancy, even though it was clear the condition would be fatal.

“To me it’s just pure torture,” said Peter Rogell, the baby’s grandfather. “The law has created torture.” I hope every lawmaker who voted for it, and the governor who signed it, reads, and is haunted by, The Post’s searing account, by Frances Stead Sellers, Thomas Simonetti and Maggie Penman...

I guarantee that if they were capable of being haunted by this, it never would have happened.

No regret, no remorse, no shame. Show these guys a pile of dead women 200 feet tall and they'll call it a 'good start'.

"Love thy like-minded neighbor" is the way most of those "Christians" see it. Their other neighbors aren't with God and therefore represent evil and as such must be defeated by whatever means necessary.
    Interesting that you say that, because that is the purpose of the writings, the like minded neighbor who's also of your same tribe/ethnicity.

I definitely believe there is a sizeable portion of those on the right who consider themselves to be Christians who believe exactly this.
    ... and they have a reason to believe it; read the manual.

So the new abortion restrictions are going to result in an increase in births with genetic defects, because many of those pregnancies would have been terminated in the past.

How much you want to bet in a few years, people will be blaming the covid vaccines for a rise in genetic defects?

So the new abortion restrictions are going to result in an increase in births with genetic defects, because many of those pregnancies would have been terminated in the past.

How much you want to bet in a few years, people will be blaming the covid vaccines for a rise in genetic defects?
    It won’t take years. And the defects that result in late abortions are generally incompatible with life. Not going to result in an increase in birth defects in reality.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom