Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Brennan77

Reaction score
Thirteen faith leaders from various denominations are suing the state of Missouri over an abortion ban that completely outlaws abortion with limited exceptions — based on the premise that "Almighty God is the author of life."

The clergy, who come from denominations of Christianity, Unitarian Universalism, and Judaism, said the abortion ban violates their religious freedom and subjects them to "the religious dictates of others."

"In a years-long crusade against abortion access, state officials have weaponized their religious beliefs to control the bodies and deny the autonomy of women and all who can become pregnant, jeopardizing their health, lives, and futures," the lawsuit says. "Many people of faith support abortion access not despite, but because of, their religion."

There's a long history of religious support for abortion rights, according to a 2022 report by The Law, Rights, and Religion Project. Some traditions, including the Presbyterian Church, Reform and Conservative Judaism, and the United Church of Christ, explicitly support the right to an abortion.

"The idea of a religious liberty right to reproductive autonomy is not something that came from lawyers," said Elizabeth Reiner Platt, director of Columbia Law School's Law, Rights, and Religion Project. "It came from religious leaders and communities, who have been explaining for decades that they see reproductive freedom as essential to religious freedom."..........

I can just hear it, say, Justice Alito, you don’t know anything about the leak do you? I didn’t think so, I just had to ask.

I can just hear it, say, Justice Alito, you don’t know anything about the leak do you? I didn’t think so, I just had to ask.
Releasing that statement is so idiotic. It's meant to assuage the suspicion that it may have been one of the justices...cough...alito. Contrary it just supports it. None of justices or their spouses signed an affidavit, but all the clerks and others did. That only leaves the justices and their spouses despite that statement.

"I followed up on all credible leads, none of which implicated the justices or their spouses," she said, adding that "on this basis, I did not believe that it was necessary to ask the justices to sign sworn affidavits."
That contrasts with the other court employees interviewed during the investigation. All others who were interviewed were asked to sign sworn affidavits.

It's a joke. And this court thinks we're stupid.

Sure. She questioned the justices and their spouses. Felt it worthy that they'd not signed an affidavit based on those questions, but that all clerks etc did? Such BS.
Well, I do have a question, it seems apparent to me that none of the justices have raised an issue with how it's being done. If there were really shenanigans, then I would think at least 1 or a few of them would speak up and call this out for what it appears to be.

Well, I do have a question, it seems apparent to me that none of the justices have raised an issue with how it's being done. If there were really shenanigans, then I would think at least 1 or a few of them would speak up and call this out for what it appears to be.
For one, liberal justices have been consistently abiding by whatever integrity is left. They aren't openly partying with the extreme of their ideologues. No speeches before sponsored events that questions their impartiality. They've not revealed much.

The other, if they questioned this investigation, it opens them up for questions regarding if they were the source of any leaks.

They came in their thousands, wearing hats, waving flags and exulting in the death of American women’s constitutional right to abortion. But some who marched in Washington on Friday were also thinking ahead: who will be their next champion in the White House?

“If it wasn’t for President Trump, we wouldn’t have a post-Roe America,” said Patricia Stephanoff, 66, from Michigan, wearing a pink “Trump 2024” hat. “He’s the most pro-life president we’ve ever had. He’s the only president who has ever come to the march.”

Not everyone on the first March for Life since the supreme court’s June 2022 decision to overturn Roe v Wade saw it the same way, however. Yvette Griego, from New Mexico, said she preferred Trump’s former vice-president, Mike Pence, because he stood for his convictions and beliefs.

Abortion is emerging as one of the first animating issues and key point of differentiation in the nascent Republican presidential primary for 2024, with Trump, the one officially declared candidate, and various likely rivals already jostling for position.

Each faces a tightrope as they must demonstrate their hardline anti-abortion credentials to the base voters that dominate a Republican primary, then manage or mitigate the subject in a way that does not alienate independents and moderates in a general election.

The awkwardness was spelled out in last year’s midterm elections, less than five months after the demise of Roe v Wade allowed states to enact near or total bans on abortion. Numerous Republican candidates stressed their opposition to reproductive rights during the primaries, only to then scrub such language from their campaign websites when they faced Democrats.

Voters were not fooled and Republicans underperformed, losing a seat in the Senate and gaining only a 10-seat majority in the House of Representatives. Anti-abortion extremists such as Tudor Dixon in Michigan, Adam Laxalt in Nevada and Doug Mastriano in Pennsylvania crashed and burned.

An analysis by the the Henry J Kaiser Family Foundation found that nearly half of voters said the supreme court’s decision to overturn Roe v Wade had a major impact on which candidates they supported in this election, with almost two-thirds of those voting for Democratic House candidates.

No one is finding the issue more vexing than Trump himself. Seeking to shift blame for Republicans’ poor showing, he said this month: “It was the ‘abortion issue’, poorly handled by many Republicans, especially those that firmly insisted on no exceptions, even in the case of rape, incest, or life of the mother, that lost large numbers of voters.”…….

May have lowered confidence? No, it definitely lowered confidence. My confidence is at rock bottom currently.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — New Mexico’s top prosecutor on Monday asked the state Supreme Court to nullify abortion ordinances that local elected officials have passed in recent months in conservative reaches of the Democratic-led state.

Attorney General Raúl Torrez urged the high court to intervene against ordinances that he said overstep local government authority to regulate health care access, and violate the New Mexico Constitution’s guarantees of equal protection and due process.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom