Should we see the removal of statues like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

TheRealTruth

Reaction score
    Recently CNN aired an interview where one of the guests suggested what is in the topic.

I agree with the removal of confederate statues around the country, but should this also be done for founding fathers?

If you would not expect the people of Jackson to care what you thought, why would you support a boycott that is designed to make the people of Jackson care what you think?

Not to single you out but the whole gaslighting rebuttal of 'why do you care, it doesn't effect you' is only able to played in one direction in todays world. The simple fact is that people see something that they think is wrong and unjust, they should say something riot and burn down private businesses in recent cases.

Boycotting Jackson wouldn’t make them care what I thought.

If my money is enough for them to care about, they might modify their behavior.

I wouldn’t care if the people of Jackson were still racist. I’m not the thought police.

It's a city run school system making decisions for themselves, even if you or I disagree with some or most of it. Isn't that the Republican war cry in recent years? Local governments making decisions for themselves without big bad Federals mucking it up for everyone?

I mean, we all know San Fran is going to San Fran. It's been that way for half a century.

Generally the Republican view is ‘government is the problem’ until they want it to enforce their agenda.

idle musing
    in most any ecosystem, dynamism is more important than stasis (yes there are a few exceptions - cancer cells, trauma)
    embrace change

I think the statues of the Founding Fathers SHOULD come down.
    They should also be unwritten from all books, or the books banned.

They should be removed from history. That way, America can be reinvented anew, without dissent.
    Also.. historians should be rounded up and put in re-education camps.

They should be removed from history. That way, America can be reinvented anew, without dissent.

:freak7:

How about we just add proper context.

Every statue of Jefferson should include information about how many slaves he owned along with the rest of his Bio.

Quick whataboutism:
    What is Jackson, MS voted to erect a statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest? You would still have the same stance.

The answer is no, you would not.
    They are free to make their own decisions and we can still criticize those decisions.
    These are fair arguments in this context, I believe.

This is forking stupid.

The problem I have is that the founding fathers are treated like demigods whose views on government were (and still are) infallible.

The problem I have is that the founding fathers are treated like demigods whose views on government were (and still are) infallible.

The founding fathers weren’t a monolith and didn’t all have the same views on government. People selectively quote them almost as much as they selectively quote the Bible. Saying “the Founding Fathers believed...” is just another form of intellectual laziness.

The founding fathers weren’t a monolith and didn’t all have the same views on government. People selectively quote them almost as much as they selectively quote the Bible. Saying “the Founding Fathers believed...” is just another form of intellectual laziness.

The one relatively common belief they had among them was that the constitution should be malleable and change over time. Funnily enough that's the one thing we've moved the furthest away from as a country. Given the current political climate the constitution may as well actually be written in stone.

Yes, especially when we have an actual US Representative advertising her ignorance of the Constitution and it’s Amendments in such a bizarre way.

The one relatively common belief they had among them was that the constitution should be malleable and change over time. Funnily enough that's the one thing we've moved the furthest away from as a country. Given the current political climate the constitution may as well actually be written in stone.
    i think the starting point is the comfort in the belief of divinely delivered text
    once you have that belief - that has come to you from the person who described the person who described the person who imparts the wisdom of the divinely delivered text - then it's just the matter of finding the most useful text
    as we have it now, the constitution is regarded as divine text - the very opposite of its intent

I didn't want to start a whole topic just about this, so I guess here is just as good:

At the time it was named, Nathan Bedford Forrest High School did not allow Black students, and wouldn’t until 1971. That was the year the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the use of busing to desegregate public schools so as to finally make good on the Brown v. Board of Education ruling 17 years earlier. As in communities across the South, the desegregation order reshuffled neighborhoods in Jacksonville, leading to massive white flight. While not a single Black student attended Forrest High School at the start of 1971, by the time the school board heard the arguments for changing its name in 2007, roughly 60 percent of its students were African American.

I didn't want to start a whole topic just about this, so I guess here is just as good:

At the time it was named, Nathan Bedford Forrest High School did not allow Black students, and wouldn’t until 1971. That was the year the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the use of busing to desegregate public schools so as to finally make good on the Brown v. Board of Education ruling 17 years earlier. As in communities across the South, the desegregation order reshuffled neighborhoods in Jacksonville, leading to massive white flight. While not a single Black student attended Forrest High School at the start of 1971, by the time the school board heard the arguments for changing its name in 2007, roughly 60 percent of its students were African American.
    I was born in Forrest County General Hospital
    If they renamed it, I would not consider it erasing my history

Let us not forget that the founders didn’t like democracy. They feared redistribution of wealth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom