Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley (Merged) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

zztop

Reaction score
    Thought I would start a dedicated topic about her.
    If anyone comes across info pertaining to her, feel free to post it here

Last edited:
    Sigh....but this should have been different.
    Trump is no Reagan! Trump is wrong for America for numerous reasons.
    Haley knows that.
    Very disappointing!
    Yes I know it's different. It just goes to show the old saying is still true. Politics make strange bedfellows.

Yet even though Trump and Haley would not receive my vote, I think they would receive more votes than the Biden Harris ticket.
    My keeping my word would not matter. The end result would be a Trump victory.
    Yet Trump and Haley said so many negative things about each other.
    WILL Trump really strongly CONSIDER selecting Haley?
    Trump could run with someone else...someone who dropped out much earlier....someone like Tim Scott.
    No "bad blood" in that ticket.

Sigh....but this should have been different.
    Trump is no Reagan! Trump is wrong for America for numerous reasons.
    Haley knows that.
    Very disappointing!
    It’s disappointing for sure. But not entirely unexpected. I read that the think tank she is affiliated with now is very pro-Trump. I imagine she got an ultimatum and caved.

It’s disappointing for sure. But not entirely unexpected. I read that the think tank she is affiliated with now is very pro-Trump. I imagine she got an ultimatum and caved.
    She could stick to her principals like Liz Cheney.
    She could write books.
    She could go on speaking tours.
    She could be a college professor.
    She could do a lot of things beside cave.
    Very disappointing!

She could stick to her principals like Liz Cheney.
    She could write books.
    She could go on speaking tours.
    She could be a college professor.
    She could do a lot of things beside cave.
    Very disappointing!
    Oh, I definitely agree. She didn’t have to do this, but it betrays her lack of integrity. It is who she is.

I don’t believe the majority of the Haley voters are particularly supportive of her as much as they are against Trump. I don’t think putting her on the ticket solves anything. Oh, and I just saw this:

I think most Haley voters feel this way, like Steve does.

By announcing her intention to vote for Donald Trump for president, Nikki Haley did the most Nikki Haley thing possible: She caved to Trump and depressed every conservative Never Trumper who pulled the lever for her.

For those paying close attention, however, this outcome was predictable, given the last decade, or so, of Haley’s career. Perhaps a quick recap is in order: In 2015, she criticized Trump’s temperament, saying, “That’s not who we are as Republicans. That’s not what we do.” (Spoiler: It is who we are and it is what we do, at least in the post-Trump GOP.)

In her 2016 State of the Union response to then-President Barack Obama, Haley cryptically warned, “During anxious times, it can be tempting to follow the siren call of the angriest voices.” A month or so later, she said Trump represented “everything a governor doesn’t want in a president.”

Next, Haley admitted she would vote for Trump in 2016, but said she was “not a fan.” This vague response was enough to facilitate her appointment as Ambassador to the United Nations. Upon leaving her post, Haley wrote a book that lavished praise on Trump.

That rosy view lasted until the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, which inspired Haley to say, “We need to acknowledge [Trump] let us down… He went down a path he shouldn’t have, and we shouldn’t have followed him, and we shouldn’t have listened to him. And we can’t let that ever happen again.”

By Oct. 2021, Haley changed her tune yet again, saying of Trump, “We need him in the Republican Party. I don’t want us to go back to the days before Trump.”

Fast forward to her 2024 campaign, where she said, “I would not run if President Trump ran,” before changing her mind and running against him.

See a pattern? When it comes to Trump, Haley is conflicted, inconsistent, and unstable. Whether ambition or cowardice are to blame is unclear.

So why were some of us still holding out some small glimmer of hope that this time would be different?

Haley’s presidential campaign suggested she had grown as a Never Trump leader.

“At the start of the campaign, Haley sounded like she was running for vice president, promising to support Trump as the nominee even if he were convicted of crimes,” A.B. Stoddard recalls. But “by the end of the campaign, she said she no longer felt obligated to support him, that he was responsible for failing to stop the violence on Jan. 6, and that she isn’t sure, if returned to office, that he will follow the Constitution.”

Haley’s latest flip-flop on Trump is probably her worst because she had become something of a symbol of the conservative resistance. She has been garnering roughly 20 percent of the vote in Republican primaries, despite dropping out of the race months ago.

In this regard, she was serving as something of an avatar of the Never Trump conservative movement that was starved for a leader. Haley could have been that leader. Instead, she sold us out.

It’s one thing to be defeated. It’s another thing to go into exile. What Haley has done is more like surrendering. It has the effect of not just disappointing the troops, but also demoralizing them. For many of us, though, this is déjà vu all over again.

My biggest faceplant came when I naively believed that Marco Rubio was the future of conservatism. But it wasn’t Rubio’s 2016 GOP primary loss that disillusioned me; his seamless transformation into MAGA Marco is what really broke my spirit..............

Last edited:
    Maybe she's trying to stay alive and that's all there is to this.

Politically she's done, a cooked goose, time to retire and having one's windows being broken out all the time would be a drag.

…….It’s not because there is any possibility she will be Trump’s running mate, despite speculation to the contrary.

Trump is looking for someone whose sycophancy would not be in doubt, and all those statements that she made about him during the primary would echo constantly if she were put on his ticket.

Instead, Haley surely has her eyes on 2028.

Suing for peace with the MAGA base is a necessary first step to positioning herself for another shot at the Republican nomination.

Haley has always been a political navigator, undaunted and unabashed about contradicting herself. In 2021, she declared she wouldn’t run for president if Trump did.

Two years later, she announced her bid, saying the country needed “generational change.”

This latest move shows, once again, that she is preserving her options as she moves ahead. If Trump wins this fall, Haley will lay claim to having been a soldier in the effort to put him back in the White House. And if he loses, Haley will say she warned the party this would happen.

Now, the thing to watch is where her supporters go, starting with her deep-pocketed donors. Hedge-fund billionaire Ken Griffin, who gave $5 million to her super PAC, had previously branded Trump a “three-time loser,” but recently told the New York Times that he is “giving serious consideration” to writing a big check to that loser for the first time………

And what about the rank-and-file Republicans who supported Haley?

Trump has done nothing to bring them into his fold, while Biden has courted them openly. Shortly after Haley dropped out of the race, the president’s reelection campaign spent $1 million on an ad in battleground states that showed clips of Trump trashing her. “If you voted for Nikki Haley, Donald Trump doesn’t want your vote,” the ad implored. “Save America. Join us.”

There is more reason to believe, however, that the vast majority of Haley’s Republican supporters will come around, as she has, to Trump.

A host of recent polls have found that more than 9 out of 10 of each party’s voters support their nominee. And some surveys show Biden faces more of an enthusiasm problem among Democrats than Trump does with Republicans………

…….It’s not because there is any possibility she will be Trump’s running mate, despite speculation to the contrary.

Trump is looking for someone whose sycophancy would not be in doubt, and all those statements that she made about him during the primary would echo constantly if she were put on his ticket.

Instead, Haley surely has her eyes on 2028.

Suing for peace with the MAGA base is a necessary first step to positioning herself for another shot at the Republican nomination.

Haley has always been a political navigator, undaunted and unabashed about contradicting herself. In 2021, she declared she wouldn’t run for president if Trump did.

Two years later, she announced her bid, saying the country needed “generational change.”

This latest move shows, once again, that she is preserving her options as she moves ahead. If Trump wins this fall, Haley will lay claim to having been a soldier in the effort to put him back in the White House. And if he loses, Haley will say she warned the party this would happen.

Now, the thing to watch is where her supporters go, starting with her deep-pocketed donors. Hedge-fund billionaire Ken Griffin, who gave $5 million to her super PAC, had previously branded Trump a “three-time loser,” but recently told the New York Times that he is “giving serious consideration” to writing a big check to that loser for the first time………

And what about the rank-and-file Republicans who supported Haley?

Trump has done nothing to bring them into his fold, while Biden has courted them openly. Shortly after Haley dropped out of the race, the president’s reelection campaign spent $1 million on an ad in battleground states that showed clips of Trump trashing her. “If you voted for Nikki Haley, Donald Trump doesn’t want your vote,” the ad implored. “Save America. Join us.”

There is more reason to believe, however, that the vast majority of Haley’s Republican supporters will come around, as she has, to Trump.

A host of recent polls have found that more than 9 out of 10 of each party’s voters support their nominee. And some surveys show Biden faces more of an enthusiasm problem among Democrats than Trump does with Republicans………

Just a million dollars? That's peanuts in these times.

She did say that she would pardon Trump, so the signs were there for a while.

But I wonder if Biden can now somehow appeal to her supporters and try to win some of their votes.

She did say that she would pardon Trump, so the signs were there for a while.

But I wonder if Biden can now somehow appeal to her supporters and try to win some of their votes.
    I think Biden will get them such that they are 8% to 10% of the usual GOP voters. And there will about 5% to 7% of the GOP who won't get out of their house on election day.

Some quotes from this article. Basically most seem to have chosen party loyalty over country.

"I think this gives a lot of people permission to not just not vote for Joe Biden, but to vote for Donald Trump,"

"Republicans need to be united as best we can."

"I think it's the right call."

"All the statements she made about Trump was during the primary; primaries are over and I think the world has dramatically changed, probably faster and more significantly than anyone anticipated over the last five, six months,"

"I'm not voting for him -- I'll just tell you that,"

"Does this help her? Does it hurt her? Maybe both,"

"I think this gives a lot of people permission to not just not vote for Joe Biden, but to vote for Donald Trump,"
    Yea, ultimately this is the outcome.

I can't think of anyone here this applies to, of course.

However if even 10% of Haley’s voters either stay home or just don’t vote for President or even vote for Biden, that would be enough to kill Trump’s chances.

I honestly think very many Haley voters were not pro-Haley as much as they were anti-Trump. They’re not going to suddenly change their minds about Trump due to Haley’s endorsement, IMO.

However if even 10% of Haley’s voters either stay home or just don’t vote for President or even vote for Biden, that would be enough to kill Trump’s chances.

I honestly think very many Haley voters were not pro-Haley as much as they were anti-Trump. They’re not going to suddenly change their minds about Trump due to Haley’s endorsement, IMO.
    Yeah, I tend to think most will stay home.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom