Now is not the time to talk about gun control (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

he responds
    ================

Oklahoma state Sen. Nathan Dahm (R) on Sunday responded to his viral interview with talk show host Jon Stewart, in which Stewart interrogated Dahm’s support for the Second Amendment amid increasing gun violence and gun deaths nationwide.

“What you’re telling me is you don’t mind infringing free speech to protect children from this amorphous thing that you think of, but when it comes to children that have died, you don’t give a flying f— to stop that, because that shall not be infringed. That is hypocrisy,” Stewart concluded in his interview with the Oklahoma lawmaker on “The Problem With Jon Stewart” on Apple TV+, which racked up millions of views on social media.

Dahm, whose Twitter bio asserts he’s “Oklahoma’s most conservative State Senator,” told Tulsa’s ABC NewsChannel 8 that he took the interview because he’s “not afraid of anyone or anything.”

“I expected to be shown in a less-than-positive light. But I tried to take the opportunity to provide people with the truth. How they choose to use that is up to them. People on the left will say that Jon Stewart eviscerated me — that’s what they’re saying. People on the right will say, ‘he interrupted you every time you tried to answer a question,’ or ‘he was a bully,’” Dahm said..................

he responds
    ================

Oklahoma state Sen. Nathan Dahm (R) on Sunday responded to his viral interview with talk show host Jon Stewart, in which Stewart interrogated Dahm’s support for the Second Amendment amid increasing gun violence and gun deaths nationwide.

“What you’re telling me is you don’t mind infringing free speech to protect children from this amorphous thing that you think of, but when it comes to children that have died, you don’t give a flying f— to stop that, because that shall not be infringed. That is hypocrisy,” Stewart concluded in his interview with the Oklahoma lawmaker on “The Problem With Jon Stewart” on Apple TV+, which racked up millions of views on social media.

Dahm, whose Twitter bio asserts he’s “Oklahoma’s most conservative State Senator,” told Tulsa’s ABC NewsChannel 8 that he took the interview because he’s “not afraid of anyone or anything.”

“I expected to be shown in a less-than-positive light. But I tried to take the opportunity to provide people with the truth. How they choose to use that is up to them. People on the left will say that Jon Stewart eviscerated me — that’s what they’re saying. People on the right will say, ‘he interrupted you every time you tried to answer a question,’ or ‘he was a bully,’” Dahm said..................

Of course he's not afraid. Because he. Does. Not. Care. It's not his own children being shot, so..eff 'em.

he responds
    ================

Odd that in this interview where he says "he interrupted you every time you tried to answer a question" that he didn't take a moment to answer some of the questions that Stewart asked....Such as:

--How is making gun owners register to own a gun an infringement on their right to own a gun, but making voters register to vote not an infringement of their right to vote?
    --Why are you so concerned about, in your own words, "protecting our children" by banning drag shows, but you don't seem interested in protecting them with reasonable gun control measures?

--How is making gun owners register to own a gun an infringement on their right to own a gun, but making voters register to vote not an infringement of their right to vote?
    He did sort of answer this one. His stance was basically that the 2nd amendment is the only one which expressly states “shall not be infringed.” Ergo, other rights implicitly can be infringed upon, but the 2nd amendment cannot.

--Why are you so concerned about, in your own words, "protecting our children" by banning drag shows, but you don't seem interested in protecting them with reasonable gun control measures?
    This one, there was no answer for, but to be fair, the video did not let us see what his response to this was.

He did sort of answer this one. His stance was basically that the 2nd amendment is the only one which expressly states “shall not be infringed.” Ergo, other rights implicitly can be infringed upon, but the 2nd amendment cannot.
    Except, that Stewart addressed that, calling it an argument about semantics. He said “So you believe voting rights CAN be infringed because it doesn’t say specifically ‘shall not be infringed,” and Dahm’s immediate response was “Is it an infringement of a 17 year old’s right to vote since they don’t have that right?” He jumped away from the obvious hypocrisy of what he said.
    This one, there was no answer for, but to be fair, the video did not let us see what his response to this was.
    True. But, that was my point. He could have addressed thst in this article if he has an actual answer.

Except, that Stewart addressed that, calling it an argument about semantics. He said “So you believe voting rights CAN be infringed because it doesn’t say specifically ‘shall not be infringed,” and Dahm’s immediate response was “Is it an infringement of a 17 year old’s right to vote since they don’t have that right?” He jumped away from the obvious hypocrisy of what he said.
    I didn't say Stewart didn't challenge his response. I was saying only saying that he did, in fact, give a response.

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — A Missouri law banning local police from enforcing federal gun laws is unconstitutional and void, a federal judge ruled Tuesday.

U.S. District Judge Brian Wimes ruled the 2021 law is preempted by the federal government under the U.S. Constitution’s supremacy clause.

“At best, this statute causes confusion among state law enforcement officials who are deputized for federal task force operations, and at worst, is unconstitutional on its face," Wimes wrote.

Missouri's Republican Attorney General Andrew Bailey in a statement said he will appeal the ruling.

“As Attorney General, I will protect the Constitution, which includes defending Missourians’ fundamental right to bear arms," Bailey said. "We are prepared to defend this statute to the highest court, and we anticipate a better result at the Eighth Circuit.”

The Missouri law had subjected law enforcement agencies with officers who knowingly enforced federal gun laws without equivalent state laws to a fine of $50,000 per violating officer.

Federal laws without similar Missouri laws include statutes covering weapons registration and tracking, and possession of firearms by some domestic violence offenders.

Conflict over Missouri’s law wrecked a crime-fighting partnership with U.S. attorneys that Missouri’s former Republican attorney general, now-Sen. Eric Schmitt, touted for years. Under Schmitt’s Safer Streets Initiative, attorneys from his office were deputized as assistant U.S. attorneys to help prosecute violent crimes.............

The only thing that can stop a six year old with a gun is a grown adult with a gun
    ===================================================

A Republican-backed bill allowing school faculty to carry guns in schools was passed in Tennessee during a hearing on Tuesday.

GOP Rep. Jay Moody, according to Fox 17 WZTV Nashville, proposed the legislation in January following the Virginia school shooting involving a 6-year-old child and his teacher.

This week, Tennessee legislators gathered to discuss the potential passing of the bill, which would ultimately "permit schools to adopt a policy that would allow select employees to carry firearms in classrooms.".............

The only thing that can stop a six year old with a gun is a grown adult with a gun
    ===================================================

A Republican-backed bill allowing school faculty to carry guns in schools was passed in Tennessee during a hearing on Tuesday.

GOP Rep. Jay Moody, according to Fox 17 WZTV Nashville, proposed the legislation in January following the Virginia school shooting involving a 6-year-old child and his teacher.

This week, Tennessee legislators gathered to discuss the potential passing of the bill, which would ultimately "permit schools to adopt a policy that would allow select employees to carry firearms in classrooms.".............

Tennessee is really giving Florida and Texas a run for their money. These Republican governments are trying to pass every disastrous law they can think of to cause as much pain as possible to their enemies.

An Alabama school has introduced whiteboards that can act as shelters during mass shootings and storms.

Cullman City Schools revealed the new safety system on Monday which is meant to fold out from the wall and protect students during natural disasters and active shooter situations.

Superintendent Kyle Kalhoff said it “can make a difference between life or death in the unimaginable school shooter situation,” according to AL.com.

At West Elementary School, two special education classrooms have been outfitted with the whiteboards, at a cost of $120,000.

It’s the first school in the US to put the convertible saferooms in place. When deployed, the saferoom can fit about 60 children or 20 adults……

An Alabama school has introduced whiteboards that can act as shelters during mass shootings and storms.

Cullman City Schools revealed the new safety system on Monday which is meant to fold out from the wall and protect students during natural disasters and active shooter situations.

Superintendent Kyle Kalhoff said it “can make a difference between life or death in the unimaginable school shooter situation,” according to AL.com.

At West Elementary School, two special education classrooms have been outfitted with the whiteboards, at a cost of $120,000.

It’s the first school in the US to put the convertible saferooms in place. When deployed, the saferoom can fit about 60 children or 20 adults……

Of course, b/c that solves the effing problem...

"Unimaginable"? Not in states like AL, FL or TX....but I'm sure the irony is lost on those morons....

Last year the Georgia-based gun manufacturer Daniel Defense tweeted an image of a young child with a rifle – about the same size as the child himself – in his lap. “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it,” the caption read.

The post came just eight days before an 18-year-old shot and killed 19 students and two teachers in Uvalde, Texas – using a weapon made by Daniel Defense.

The tweet was swiftly decried by Democratic lawmakers and gun violence prevention groups, who argued that the ads were incendiary and promote violence among the nation’s youngest residents, for whom gun violence is now the leading cause of death.

The ways that children are exposed to firearms through television and video games has been studied for decades. Online advertisements became a central part of this discussion last year, around the same time as the Daniel Defense tweet, when WEE1, a Chicago-based gunmaker used images of two cartoon skulls with pacifiers in their mouths and targets in their eyes to market their JR-15, a .22 rifle that is “geared toward smaller enthusiasts”, according to the company’s website.

Now, Joe Biden is calling on the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to examine the ways gun manufacturers market their weapons to Americans, especially children under 18.

It’s one of the several executive actions the White House announced Tuesday aimed at expanding last year’s bipartisan Safer Communities act, a sweeping gun control law that strengthened background checks, helped states put in place red flag laws and boosted mental health programs. Here’s a look at what the order does – and doesn’t – do.

How are gun companies advertising to kids?

Advertisements for firearms are not as ubiquitous as ones for cars or snack foods, and those that do exist are mostly found in places such as gun magazines. Most of these ads are aimed at adults because people under 18 cannot legally buy a gun.

Advertisements explicitly meant to appeal to children are rare, but invocations of militarism, patriotism and gender stereotypes that gun manufacturers have long leaned on are being aimed at younger audiences above the age of 18, according to a 2022 Senate joint economic committee report…….

How so? What is wrong about her report?
    This goes back to the post I just made in another thread. You playing message board hall monitor and mocking me many times when I posted Twitter accounts that didn't use their real names like Undercover Huber and Techno Fog.

Did you change your mind about that being okay to do because I see you have been posting from people who don't use their real names on Twitter?

This goes back to the post I just made in another thread. You playing message board hall monitor and mocking me many times when I posted Twitter accounts that didn't use their real names like Undercover Huber and Techno Fog.

Did you change your mind about that being okay to do because I see you have been posting from people who don't use their real names on Twitter?
    Not using their real names was hardly the reason those sources were mocked.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom