Now is not the time to talk about gun control (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

i think this is a great idea, but like sensors in child car seats I think it would be a hard sell

"I would never forget my kid in the car"

"My kid would never go into the gun safe"
    =============================

Type “child” and “accidental shooting” into any search engine and one horrific headline after another will appear.

2-year-old dies after shooting herself with family-owned gun

3-year-old girl kills 4-year-old sister in accidental shooting

8-year-old boy accidentally shoots himself in the face

Many people hear about those incidents when they happen in their communities, but Kayla Austin reads about them every time they occur somewhere in the country. The Howard University student receives an email alert each time another story is published about a child who grabbed a grown-up’s gun and fired it at themselves or at someone else, and it’s not unusual for her to receive multiple notifications a day.

“These accidental shootings are a lot more common than people think,” she told me on a recent afternoon. “Firearm owners will put their guns under the bed or in drawers or on shelves, and they think that children don’t know where they are. But kids and teens are curious. They know where everything is in the house.”

They know to look in that box at the top of the closet. They know to open the nightstand drawer. They know to reach toward the back of that cabinet.

At 19, Austin is in many ways a typical college student. She is majoring in TV and film and minoring in political science, and she recently spent two weeks focused on final exams.

But the sophomore also spends her days working to get a device on the market that she believes will help save lives.

“I’ll be in class and then have a marketing meeting, and then I’ll go to class again and then have a product development meeting,” she said. “But I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

The device she designed — and hopes to make available within the year through the My Gun’s Been Moved website — is a smart pad that uses technology to detect when a gun is placed on it and when a gun is removed. If a child moves the gun, an alert is sent to the gun owner.

The device, of course, requires gun owners to care about keeping firearms out of the hands of children. But Austin believes plenty do. She also plans to raise awareness of the need for safe gun storage through a podcast and educational outreach.

“In the fight against gun violence, what I really want to do is add to the conversation what it looks like to be a safe gun owner,” she said. She said she wants more people to talk about how they can make sure that “while protecting their homes, they protect their families and the people they love.”....................

8-year-old among 5 killed 'execution style' by drunk gunman in Cleveland, deputies say​

CLEVELAND, Texas (KTRK) -- Five people, including a child, were killed during a shooting at a home in southeast Texas Friday night, authorities said.

Authorities responded to the shooting at about 11:30 p.m. in the 100 block of Walters Road in the Trails End area of Cleveland.

The San Jacinto County Sheriff's Office told Eyewitness News that the call came in about harassment at a home near Walters Road and Seth Boulevard.

When deputies arrived, they said they found several people, ranging from 8 to 40 years old, who were shot. Investigators said all of the victims are from Honduras.

Investigators said they believe the suspect was intoxicated and began shooting an AR-15 outside on his front porch. That's when neighbors asked him to be quiet because they had a baby who was trying to sleep, according to deputies.

The suspect was agitated by the request to stop firing shots and began shooting inside a home with 10 people present, according to deputies.

The sheriff's office said in total, five people are dead, including an 8-year-old.

Sheriff Greg Capers told Eyewitness News that the victims were shot from the neck up, "almost execution style."

"When we got here, the two females in the bedroom were laying on top of two of three younger (surviving) children," Capers said.

One of the victims was taken to the hospital, where they were pronounced dead..................................................................

I'm at the point where I hope every single gun fetishist out there accidentally blows their own forking heads off in unison tomorrow morning. fork all of these butt crevasses and their enablers.

Especially the gun extremists in the federal judiciary that are making living in the US untenable with the levels of gun violence we have to live with. They've succeeded in turning this country into something equivalent to a 3rd world country governed by war lords. All that blood is on their hands.

8-year-old among 5 killed 'execution style' by drunk gunman in Cleveland, deputies say​

CLEVELAND, Texas (KTRK) -- Five people, including a child, were killed during a shooting at a home in southeast Texas Friday night, authorities said.

This shooter is still on the run.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom