Now is not the time to talk about gun control (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Yea, didn't Gregg Abbot still win the county where Uvalde is?

Yep

=================
    UVALDE COUNTY, Texas — Less than six months after the Uvalde shooting at Robb Elementary school, voters still preferred Republican incumbent Greg Abbott over his Democrat challenger Beto O'Rourke in the race for Texas governor.
    Calls for gun reform and a change in Texas leadership echoed after the shooting left 19 children and two teachers dead in May.

Despite everything, Uvalde County voters overwhelmingly preferred Abbott over O'Rourke, with more than 60% of the vote going to Abbott.
    =================

wow

jaws.jpg

Yep

=================
    UVALDE COUNTY, Texas — Less than six months after the Uvalde shooting at Robb Elementary school, voters still preferred Republican incumbent Greg Abbott over his Democrat challenger Beto O'Rourke in the race for Texas governor.
    Calls for gun reform and a change in Texas leadership echoed after the shooting left 19 children and two teachers dead in May.

Despite everything, Uvalde County voters overwhelmingly preferred Abbott over O'Rourke, with more than 60% of the vote going to Abbott.
    =================

This is why Dems need to STHU about gun control. It's absolutely a losing issue for them. Take the 2nd Amendment away from Reps as a wedge, say you support it fully. Take a few photos with some guns, go hunting sometime, familiarize yourselves with what firearms actually are and what they do.

Then, assuming you win, you can craft workable restrictions that stand a chance of accomplishing something other than pissing off rural voters.

This is why Dems need to STHU about gun control. It's absolutely a losing issue for them. Take the 2nd Amendment away from Reps as a wedge, say you support it fully. Take a few photos with some guns, go hunting sometime, familiarize yourselves with what firearms actually are and what they do.

Then, assuming you win, you can craft workable restrictions that stand a chance of accomplishing something other than pissing off rural voters.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I don't think courting the white rural vote really works for Democrats. They've tried to get white rural voters back since they lost most of them in 2016 and that hasn't worked for Democrats, the margins keep getting worse. And what you're proposing is mainly to try and get back white rural voters.

Taking this approach would also malign many of the "gun control" voters who almost entirely vote Democratic. So trying to exchange a loyal voting coalition for one that likely won't vote for you any way, isn't really a path to success to me. But maybe I'm wrong.

==============

They at times sidelined other issues, such as voting rights, that might not be the priorities of White voters without college degrees. In July, a top White House official, communications director Kate Bedingfield, bashed party activists who complained that the administration wasn’t responding aggressively enough to the U.S. Supreme Court’s Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization ruling eliminating the right to an abortion. And Democrats moved to the right on some issues, most notably policing. There were constant efforts to court moderate GOP voters and lawmakers and sideline prominent left-wing figures.

Not all of that was bad. It’s great that the Democrats are finally moving on from the overly business-friendly, neoliberal economic policies they embraced from the early 1980s through the 2010s and helped lead to massive inequality and decimation of small towns across the Midwest. The party’s new economic populism is good policy that will help Americans across demographic and partisan lines. And in the long term, I think this agenda will boost the party electorally, by making clear to voters that Democrats are the party that most represents the interests of average Americans.

But this strategy wasn’t working electorally — and party leaders stuck to it for far too long. In the short term, the United States needs Democrats to win elections to prevent an increasingly extreme, antidemocratic Republican Party from gaining more power. And at least right now, the vast majority of White Christians and White voters without degrees are embracing and in some ways driving the Republican Party’s drift to radicalism. These voters never warmed to Biden, despite his policy agenda aimed at them. Their strong disapproval made Biden more unpopular at times than even Donald Trump was early in his presidency.
    Ultimately, White voters without degrees backed the GOP by about a 30-point margin in November’s elections, according to surveys of the election results. And very few people (just 4 percent, according to exit polls) who voted for Trump in 2020 supported a Democratic congressional candidate in this week’s elections.

Perhaps the Democrats would have done even worse with White voters without degrees if not for their strategies over the past two years. But what drove the Democrats’ surprisingly strong performance in this month’s elections was the backing of groups that the party really hadn’t delivered for or prioritized over the past two years.
    ===============

So trying to exchange a loyal voting coalition for one that likely won't vote for you any way, isn't really a path to success to me. But maybe I'm wrong.
    You’re not wrong.

You’re not wrong.

But it's not an exchange.

Who did JBE appeal to? Pro-choice, pro-gun, etc. Yet he didn't lose the traditional Dem base while he was at it.

A teeny little smear of purple in some of these rural counties is all it'd take to swing the White House and Senate consistently.

Just act like SCOTUS nominees did about Roe. "It's part of the Constitution. No one's coming after guns. Hunting is a foundational tradition in America" etc. Put that issue way down on Page 6 while trumpeting little-guy economics and reproductive choice.

The 22-year-old man accused of murdering five and wounding dozens more in a mass shooting in a Colorado gay nightclub is the grandson of a GOP lawmaker who celebrated the January 6 attack on the US Capitol...........

The 22-year-old suspect is also the grandson of Republican California state assembly member Randy Voepel.

Mr Voepel, a Donald Trump supporter whose social media pages show him sporting a MAGA hat, previously courted controversy with his response to the Capitol riot.

Three days after the insurrection that left five people dead and dozens of police officers injured, the GOP lawmaker likened the rioters to American Revolutionaries.

“This is Lexington and Concord. First shots fired against tyranny,” he said in an interview with the San Diego Union-Tribune. “Tyranny will follow in the aftermath of the Biden swear-in on January 20th.”

His comments prompted calls for him to be expelled from the assembly. Mr Voepel later walked back his comments, saying that he “condemned violence and lawlessness”, reported the Tribune.............

Who did JBE appeal to? Pro-choice, pro-gun, etc. Yet he didn't lose the traditional Dem base while he was at it.
    You don't lose LA dems that way.

You lose California and NY dems, though.

You don't lose LA dems that way.

You lose California and NY dems, though.

Lose 'em to whom?

I'm not advocating a big, loud "GUNS, GUNS, GUNS! YEEHAW!" message. Just a low-key turn and de-emphasis. It's clear gun control is a loser for Dems, so...stop frikkin' digging.

Person who shot up nightclub in CO was known to police for making a bomb threat. They didn’t take his weapons, in spite of a red flag law in that county.

While I haven't been to Colorado in decades I'm surprised that Colorado Springs would be in the middle of a pro-2A movement. There are two colleges there for one. I suppose they can't pick the county they're in.

Edit to add: I just heard that around 30 of Colorados 60 or so counties are "Second Amendment sanctuaries".

Last edited:
    While I haven't been to Colorado in decades I'm surprised that Colorado Springs would be in the middle of a pro-2A movement. There are two colleges there for one. I suppose they can't pick the county they're in.

Edit to add: I just heard that around 30 of Colorados 60 or so counties are "Second Amendment sanctuaries".

Huh?

There are plenty of Dems who do all that. Plenty who hunt and own firearms. It’s a fallacy that the Rs want you to believe that no Dems own guns.

There are plenty of Dems who do all that. Plenty who hunt and own firearms. It’s a fallacy that the Rs want you to believe that no Dems own guns.

I know that, you know that, what needs to happen is for Bubba to know that.

============

Nothing in politics is as effective as fear. And conservatives such as Boebert know exactly how to weaponize it. The conservative mind is more concerned that a drag queen is entering a classroom to read a story to children than a gunman is entering a classroom to shoot them. And I will never understand that.

============

This about sums everything up!
    I'm a conservative independent, but I don't think that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom