New Poll on Police Shooting of Black Men (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    https://www.skeptic.com/research-center/reports/Research-Report-CUPES-007.pdf

Skeptic.jpg

(the answer is at the maximum 27)

I heard about this new poll from a podcast I listen to on the regular. To me, this is disturbing to say the least. We allowed idiots to burn down private businesses and cities because of the horrible reporting and the narrative pushed by politicians the media.

If we as a country are going to move forward (I am not so sure we do move forward as a country) we need to have actual fact based discussions that are not based on feeling and implied intent. There is a rush in the country to label any perceived injustice as race based and obviously this is not the case in reality but it does make nice headlines and gather votes.

What are the facts here? Are you saying only 27 black men were shot by police in 2019?

NM Unarmed black men.

So now point me to the number of unarmed white men shot by police.

Further, the total number of people shot by police in 2019 was 999. Of that, 370 were white, 253 black 158 Hispanic etc.

So that means for every 1 white, 2 non whites were shot. (roughly)

That's a glaring disparity. Granted we have zero context so hard to say, but on its face, you can clearly see the difference.

That's where dialog begins. Why are whites not even with or higher considering they make up a majority of the population?

Last edited:
    What are the facts here? Are you saying only 27 black men were shot by police in 2019?

NM Unarmed black men.

So now point me to the number of unarmed white men shot by police.

Further, the total number of people shot by police in 2019 was 999. Of that, 370 were white, 253 black 158 Hispanic etc.

So that means for every 1 white, 2 non whites were shot. (roughly)

That's a glaring disparity. Granted we have zero context so hard to say, but on its face, you can clearly see the difference.

That's where dialog begins. Why are whites not even with or higher considering they make up a majority of the population?
    You need to learn math. 411 is no where near twice as much as 370. And why is there only a difference between white people and everyone else for you racists?

Skeptic.jpg

I heard about this new poll from a podcast I listen to on the regular. To me, this is disturbing to say the least. We allowed idiots to burn down private businesses and cities because of the horrible reporting and the narrative pushed by politicians the media.

If we as a country are going to move forward (I am not so sure we do move forward as a country) we need to have actual fact based discussions that are not based on feeling and implied intent. There is a rush in the country to label any perceived injustice as race based and obviously this is not the case in reality but it does make nice headlines and gather votes.

Why do you think the motive is to make a nice headline and gather votes, and not because of a generalized history of racial injustice in this country, with no concerted effort to correct it, with a result of stark racial imbalances in this country?

Also, why do you think black Americans are convinced they are targeted by police because of headlines and not their own experiences?

Last edited:

Skeptic.jpg

It's not just about killing unarmed people. It is all the other aggressive interactions. The deaths just are the last straw.

I agree, facts matter though.

So, if you go to the source, the notes at the bottom of the graph were cropped. Specifically this one the authors labeled as “important”

83DEBFD4-3808-4377-A2BA-A6546D08D340.jpeg

The number 27 represents reporting from less than one third of the law enforcement agencies, and the data is self reported and voluntary. The authors themselves admit that the number may be closer to 60-100 unarmed black men killed by police in 2019, but that is a guess.

I find it a bit weird that this sort of survey, which isn’t at all rigorous scientifically, is being used to assert that the whole idea of racial inequity in policing is “made up”. It’s a bit unusual, the logic is suspect at the very least.

The number 27 represents reporting from less than one third of the law enforcement agencies, and the data is self reported and voluntary. The authors themselves admit that the number may be closer to 60-100 unarmed black men killed by police in 2019, but that is a guess.

Years ago the guardian had a project that counted deaths via police shootings. It was way over what is self reported to the FBI database. The about 100 answer is closer to what they found.

If OP wants to dig into this, go read their stuff on this. It's very interesting, and shows a gross disparity in police violence towards minorities.

It's not just about killing unarmed people. It is all the other aggressive interactions. The deaths just are the last straw.

I agree, facts matter though.

Yes, we've talked about this before in previous threads, it doesn't appear that that message either sinks in or is believed or is relevant to @Farb. At least that is the impression I get.

If we as a country are going to move forward (I am not so sure we do move forward as a country) we need to have actual fact based discussions that are not based on feeling and implied intent.
    Not to derail this particular thread but the sentence above coming from someone who supports Trump is absolutely hilarious. There are sitting Trump party senators who deny that the capitol insurrection was done by Trump supporters when video clearly shows the opposite is true. Anyone who has supported trump or politicians who support trump should never use those words. It is absolutely rich having that sentence come from you.

Skeptic.jpg

Polls like this just show how uniformed the public is. It has no bearing on whether or not there is a legitimate problem.

Do you think policing is only a problem when an unarmed black man is killed? How about all of the encounters that do not end in death?

A poll of conservatives would have a really high number of people who believe that Obama was born in Kenya, or that Trump won the election.

I suppose any poll that confirms your bias is an important poll.

There seems to be a lot of questions of what I think, who I support, why I am I so dense as to just not accept what you guys are constantly spouting, why would I not go dig up some article someone read 2 years ago, why don't I go and verify the data in the survey. I see very few, with the exception of @MT15 actually address the survey (thanks MT15)

The question and the only question I asked is why would huge sections of our population be so completely wrong on the actual number, or even ballpark number, of how many unarmed black men were killed by Police. This number is the reason we were told they needed to burn down the local taco shop because of this one particular injustice. Only thing is the number doesn't justify the action.

The question and the only question I asked is why would huge sections of our population be so completely wrong on the actual number, or even ballpark number, of how many unarmed black men were killed by Police. This number is the reason we were told they needed to burn down the local taco shop because of this one particular injustice. Only thing is the number doesn't justify the action.
    Because the survey has been shown to be questionable for multiple reasons, it calls into question the entire premise of the thread, as the data you used to support your argument in the first place has been shown to be incomplete at best, and intentionally misrepresented at worst.

Thus in order to continue this argument, you’ll probably need to find better supporting evidence.

There seems to be a lot of questions of what I think, who I support, why I am I so dense as to just not accept what you guys are constantly spouting, why would I not go dig up some article someone read 2 years ago, why don't I go and verify the data in the survey. I see very few, with the exception of @MT15 actually address the survey (thanks MT15)

I'd argue that it never was about the number, but rather the way people of color, and more specifically, blacks are treated by police. It's not near equitable and that has to be addressed. We've seen the extreme examples, but there have also been many, many poor and even not so poor blacks unfairly targeted by police. The numbers matter, yes, but that's only a part of the overall narrative.

The question and the only question I asked is why would huge sections of our population be so completely wrong on the actual number,

because the public is largely ignorant and lazy, regardless of their political leanings.

That is why an opinion poll is useless at determining anything but public opinion.

You poll has no bearing on the validity of BLM. You realize BLM isn't solely concerned with reducing the number of unarmed black men killed by the police right?

Are you suggesting that there isn't a problem with the way the police use force in the United States, and that this poll supports that point?

Last edited:
    because the public is largely ignorant and lazy, regardless of their political leanings.

That is why an opinion poll is useless at determining anything but public opinion.

You poll has no bearing on the validity of BLM. You realize BLM isn't solely concerned with reducing the number of unarmed black men killed by the police right?

Are you suggesting that there isn't a problem with the way the police use force in the United States, and that this poll supports that point?
    I agree 100% with this. I mean absolutely 100%.
    But it also should be be asked, where would the lazy public get their information/misinformation/disinformation?
    The answer is the media and the stump speeches from our politicians.

The media draws up a narrative that black men and being 'hunted down in the streets' by cops. The politicians echo this false narrative and the other side is too scared to ask for proof because then the media and the woke mob will label them as 'racist' so they remain silent so they can hopefully hold on to the power they have.
    In my opinion, this is why the lazy and ignorant public, regardless of their political leanings, believe something so false.

I am well aware of what BLM is concerned with as are most of the poster here because we are not all that lazy and ignorant. If you all want to have a discussion just focusing on BLM and their beliefs and end goals I would enjoy that too and I would be glad to start the thread on BLM

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom