Media Tracker (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    I figured we needed a thread specifically about the media.

There was a very big correction recently by the Washington Post.

That story was supposedly "independently confirmed" by CNN, NBC News, USA Today, ABC News, & PBS News Hour. How could they all have gotten the quote wrong if they actually independently confirmed the story?

Why do all the errors always go in one political direction and not closer to 50/50?

Yeah, thanks. I noticed it didn’t come through after I posted it, just too lazy to repost, lol.
    And the Community Note on this post was removed. It now stands there as if no Note ever happened. I think MAGA accounts and bots swarmed it and rated the Note “unhelpful” and it was removed. This is what Musk wants.

Also, this is ominous. Imagine if a legacy newspaper chain were owned by someone as bad as Musk.

Is anyone else having issues seeing what Chuck posts from Threads? I have Threads installed, but I cannot see anything. I see the link written out when I quote him, but it doesn’t function as a link. And when I post this reply, I won’t see the link anymore - just a white space.

I’m on an IPad with the latest version of Safari.

Is anyone else having issues seeing what Chuck posts from Threads? I have Threads installed, but I cannot see anything. I see the link written out when I quote him, but it doesn’t function as a link. And when I post this reply, I won’t see the link anymore - just a white space.

Chromebook for me and they are showing up normally.

Showing up for me

This isn’t media per se, but I saw it on Twitter. A random younger person posted something about how funny he thought it was that Boomers were so against drugs their entire lives, but are now all about the THC gummies.

I did a double take - and read an entire thread of people who are entirely confused about what happened in the late 60’s-mid 70’s where you couldn’t attend a concert without pervasive weed smell or being offered a joint. Where my college roommate took LSD to attend an outdoors sporting event, and that wasn’t all that uncommon. Nobody in the entire comments really knew what they were talking about. I was amused to read that “hippies” were only a small subset and didn’t really have any real influence and most boomers were having crew cuts and wearing penny loafers.

Which just ignores how pervasive “hippie” values became by the end of the Vietnam War. It also sort of highlights how stupid these generational labels are. Some boomers probably grew up in the time of crew cuts, but by the time I was a teenager - we were mimicking hippie dress and cultural ideals. To say we were all against drugs is pretty naive.
    Not at that time, but these are the same people who voted for criminalizing *everything* drug-related. From merely owning a bong to having a few seeds (planted) under the seat of your car, boomers/hippies/Me Generatuon were happy to see lives be ruined for precisely the same things they were doing a decade prior.

Not at that time, but these are the same people who voted for criminalizing *everything* drug-related. From merely owning a bong to having a few seeds (planted) under the seat of your car, boomers/hippies/Me Generatuon were happy to see lives be ruined for precisely the same things they were doing a decade prior.
    No generation is a monolith. And the laws weren’t supported only by one generation. This idea thaf you can just blame everything on a certain set of people is unhealthy.

For example - when did these laws you speak of pass? Because everything drug-related was illegal as long as I can remember, and I will be 70 on my next birthday. I’m on the younger side of Boomer - supposedly - and it was all illegal, it always was. The War on Drugs per se started while I was in high school by Nixon, IIRC. So people my age were certainly not enacting these laws.

So I don’t get this idea you’re putting out there. There are people who want to enact more authoritarian type laws in every generation. And people who want to break those laws in every generation. Considering the current backlash against women’s rights being pushed right now - as opposed to the strides in feminism that were made as I grew up - this idea that people my age are somehow responsible for being repressive is particularly rich.

No generation is a monolith. And the laws weren’t supported only by one generation. This idea thaf you can just blame everything on a certain set of people is unhealthy.

For example - when did these laws you speak of pass? Because everything drug-related was illegal as long as I can remember, and I will be 70 on my next birthday. I’m on the younger side of Boomer - supposedly - and it was all illegal, it always was. The War on Drugs per se started while I was in high school by Nixon, IIRC. So people my age were certainly not enacting these laws.

So I don’t get this idea you’re putting out there. There are people who want to enact more authoritarian type laws in every generation. And people who want to break those laws in every generation. Considering the current backlash against women’s rights being pushed right now - as opposed to the strides in feminism that were made as I grew up - this idea that people my age are somehow responsible for being repressive is particularly rich.

Ok, Boomers, Greasers and Greatest. It sure's hell wasn't GenX who put Reagan into power and started this long, terrible slide.

Ok, Boomers, Greasers and Greatest. It sure's hell wasn't GenX who put Reagan into power and started this long, terrible slide.
    Okay, but there are plenty of GenXers who want us to slide into authoritarianism or actually Christian Nationalism, and want to take away women’s rights that were earned in the 1970s. People are just people and there are all kinds of people in every age cohort.

Trying to label people by the year they were born and then assign blame or praise to everyone in that cohort is not doing anyone any good.

There can be some shared experiences, but people today just use it as a team sport or a way to divide and blame others for problems that everyone shares in. It can be a good natured fun way to tease others - like a lot of the videos on TikTok that I have seen. But it can definitely also be taken way too seriously.

Reagan's popular vote was not nearly as dominate as his Electoral College vote. Lots of so called Boomers, Greasers and Greatest voted for Carter and didn't vote for HW Bush, W Bush, or Trump either.

Just because it happened during a certain generations watch, it doesn't mean that all, or anywhere close to all, of the people of that generation supported it and made it happen.

Okay, but there are plenty of GenXers who want us to slide into authoritarianism or actually Christian Nationalism, and want to take away women’s rights that were earned in the 1970s. People are just people and there are all kinds of people in every age cohort.

Trying to label people by the year they were born and then assign blame or praise to everyone in that cohort is not doing anyone any good.

There can be some shared experiences, but people today just use it as a team sport or a way to divide and blame others for problems that everyone shares in. It can be a good natured fun way to tease others - like a lot of the videos on TikTok that I have seen. But it can definitely also be taken way too seriously.
    The generation blaming is another way of being tribal. More importantly, it's another way we let ill-intentioned people divide and conquer us.

I didn’t realize this was going on behind the scenes at Fox. I mean I knew they are entirely agenda-driven and manufactured, I just didn’t know there were differences of opinion within the Murdoch family.

The U.S. was going into a different terrible slide before Reagan. Reagan was needed at that time in history. To me, the terrible slide started after Clinton was elected, in the way Republicans responded to his election. That's when the Newt Gingriches and Rush Limbaughs of the world pushed the GOP at the top of the slide.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom