Media Tracker (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    I figured we needed a thread specifically about the media.

There was a very big correction recently by the Washington Post.

That story was supposedly "independently confirmed" by CNN, NBC News, USA Today, ABC News, & PBS News Hour. How could they all have gotten the quote wrong if they actually independently confirmed the story?

Why do all the errors always go in one political direction and not closer to 50/50?

This kind of dishonest or incompetent reporting plays right into the R’s hands.

That's not true. The media is already basically an arm of the Democrat Party, but you want more?

The Financial Report of the United States Government (also known as the Financial Report) raises significant concerns about the country’s long‐term financial health with increasing deficits and debt levels. Over the next 75 years, U.S. taxpayers face nearly $80 trillion in long‐term unfunded obligations. What’s more, 95 percent of this unfunded obligation is driven by only two federal government programs: Medicare and Social Security.

Over the next 75 years, Medicare and Social Security funding shortfalls comprise 95 percent of the total unfunded obligation. As shown in Figure 2 below, of the $79.5 trillion in unfunded U.S. government obligations over the next 75 years, Medicare and Social Security’s funding shortfalls make up $75.9 trillion, or 95 percent. The Statement of Social Insurance (SOSI) shows the present value of the government’s projected expenditures for Social Security and Medicare Parts A, B, and D, as well as the railroad retirement and black lung benefits programs, in comparison to social insurance revenue. Of the total unfunded obligation, less than 0.2 percent is due to railroad retirement and black lung benefits.

The financial report projects the debt‐to‐GDP ratio will reach 200 percent by 2046 and 566 percent by 2097, based on current policy. The report’s authors state the obvious, albeit in muted terms: “The continuous rise of the debt‐to‐GDP ratio indicates that current fiscal policy is unsustainable.”

Closing the fiscal gap requires primary (non‐interest) deficit reduction of 4.9 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) over the next 75 years. The fiscal gap is an estimate of what it would take, over the next 75 years, to stabilize fiscal policy. The financial report indicates that closing the fiscal gap would require non‐interest spending reductions and or revenue increases of 4.9 percent of GDP annually, over the next 75 years. Any delays in adopting this deficit reduction would substantially increase required future deficit reductions. If legislators delay reforms for 10 years, to begin in 2033, closing the fiscal gap will require 5.7 percent of GDP. Delaying reforms by 20 years increases the required deficit reduction to 7.0 percent of GDP. The fiscal gap is an effective way to measure the burden that current U.S. government budget policy will impose on future generations.

Link to the report: the Financial Report

That's not true. The media is already basically an arm of the Democrat Party, but you want more?

The Financial Report of the United States Government (also known as the Financial Report) raises significant concerns about the country’s long‐term financial health with increasing deficits and debt levels. Over the next 75 years, U.S. taxpayers face nearly $80 trillion in long‐term unfunded obligations. What’s more, 95 percent of this unfunded obligation is driven by only two federal government programs: Medicare and Social Security.

Over the next 75 years, Medicare and Social Security funding shortfalls comprise 95 percent of the total unfunded obligation. As shown in Figure 2 below, of the $79.5 trillion in unfunded U.S. government obligations over the next 75 years, Medicare and Social Security’s funding shortfalls make up $75.9 trillion, or 95 percent. The Statement of Social Insurance (SOSI) shows the present value of the government’s projected expenditures for Social Security and Medicare Parts A, B, and D, as well as the railroad retirement and black lung benefits programs, in comparison to social insurance revenue. Of the total unfunded obligation, less than 0.2 percent is due to railroad retirement and black lung benefits.

The financial report projects the debt‐to‐GDP ratio will reach 200 percent by 2046 and 566 percent by 2097, based on current policy. The report’s authors state the obvious, albeit in muted terms: “The continuous rise of the debt‐to‐GDP ratio indicates that current fiscal policy is unsustainable.”

Closing the fiscal gap requires primary (non‐interest) deficit reduction of 4.9 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) over the next 75 years. The fiscal gap is an estimate of what it would take, over the next 75 years, to stabilize fiscal policy. The financial report indicates that closing the fiscal gap would require non‐interest spending reductions and or revenue increases of 4.9 percent of GDP annually, over the next 75 years. Any delays in adopting this deficit reduction would substantially increase required future deficit reductions. If legislators delay reforms for 10 years, to begin in 2033, closing the fiscal gap will require 5.7 percent of GDP. Delaying reforms by 20 years increases the required deficit reduction to 7.0 percent of GDP. The fiscal gap is an effective way to measure the burden that current U.S. government budget policy will impose on future generations.

Link to the report: the Financial Report
    Thanks for proving my point. In this case WaPo is functioning as an arm of the RNC, to use your weird vernacular. In any case, what my post above said is true as far as I understand it. You haven’t proven it wrong…🤷‍♀

SFL: please read about SS and the deficit. It’s an R talking point that they are connected. They just want to take away Social Security so bad that they don’t mind lying to you to get you to support hurting your own retirement.

“By law, Social Security cannot contribute to the federal deficit, because it is required to pay benefits only from its trust funds. Those, in turn, are funded through a dedicated payroll tax of 12.4 percent of income, split evenly between employees and employers, levied on income (this year) up to $128,400.

The program’s revenue and expenses are accounted for through two federal trust funds that have operated with large and growing surpluses in recent years, and they finished fiscal 2018 with an estimated $2.89 trillion. By law, Social Security must invest these surplus funds only in special-issue U.S. Treasury notes, which have the same full faith and credit guarantee as any other federal bond.”

I saw network news also repeat this Trump spin (AKA lie) verbatim tonight on their Nightly News. But tell me again how the media is in thrall to the Democrats. (that’s just another lie).

Haven’t had a chance to read this yet. But it looks interesting.

Reason 10,775 why the Pacific Northwest is forking awesome

Those people are great.

And that is exactly the attitude we have btw. I live in the city limits of Portland, not the burbs.

I don't own a gun. I don't even lock my doors. ( The only time I have ever been robbed was when I lived in Knoxville, TN and I had a burger alarm).

Homelessness and drug use are problems, no doubt, but we are going to try to solve it with compassion and treating people with dignity.

There is a bumper year in salmon this year too.

Thank you for posting data from the Cato Institute.

Are you familiar with who the Cato Institute is?
    Are you familiar with The Financial Report of the United States Government (also known as the Financial Report)?

It's a report from the government and that's exactly where CATO go their information from.

You can check out the Financial Report in the link I posted or just continue to complain about who highlighted the information from the government report.

SFL: please read about SS and the deficit. It’s an R talking point that they are connected. They just want to take away Social Security so bad that they don’t mind lying to you to get you to support hurting your own retirement.

“By law, Social Security cannot contribute to the federal deficit, because it is required to pay benefits only from its trust funds. Those, in turn, are funded through a dedicated payroll tax of 12.4 percent of income, split evenly between employees and employers, levied on income (this year) up to $128,400.

The program’s revenue and expenses are accounted for through two federal trust funds that have operated with large and growing surpluses in recent years, and they finished fiscal 2018 with an estimated $2.89 trillion. By law, Social Security must invest these surplus funds only in special-issue U.S. Treasury notes, which have the same full faith and credit guarantee as any other federal bond.”
    You are posting a news article and I posted the actual report from the government. Why would you be referring to an article, when we have a government report that shows what you claim isn't true is actually true?

Last edited:
    Haven’t had a chance to read this yet. But it looks interesting.

By a 9-point margin, voters see the Democratic Party as more ideologically extreme than the Republican Party.

I guess the left's push for censorship and all the inflation isn't too popular with the public.

Reason 10,775 why the Pacific Northwest is forking awesome

Those people are great.

And that is exactly the attitude we have btw. I live in the city limits of Portland, not the burbs.

I don't own a gun. I don't even lock my doors. ( The only time I have ever been robbed was when I lived in Knoxville, TN and I had a burger alarm).

Homelessness and drug use are problems, no doubt, but we are going to try to solve it with compassion and treating people with dignity.

There is a bumper year in salmon this year too.
    In this case, we cannot continue operating these stores because theft and organized retail crime are threatening the safety of our team and guests, and contributing to unsustainable business performance.

In this case, we cannot continue operating these stores because theft and organized retail crime are threatening the safety of our team and guests, and contributing to unsustainable business performance.

Color me skeptical. I don't know that I believe Target's reasons for closing those stores. Organized Retail Crime is an easy thing to blame without having to provide hard evidence for. It definitely wouldn't be the first time a retail company does that.

Are you familiar with The Financial Report of the United States Government (also known as the Financial Report)?

It's a report from the government and that's exactly where CATO go their information from.

You can check out the Financial Report in the link I posted or just continue to complain about who highlighted the information from the government report.
    No you posted the Cato Institute's opinion on the Government's Report.

You do know the difference right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom