Media Tracker

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    I figured we needed a thread specifically about the media.

There was a very big correction recently by the Washington Post.

That story was supposedly "independently confirmed" by CNN, NBC News, USA Today, ABC News, & PBS News Hour. How could they all have gotten the quote wrong if they actually independently confirmed the story?

Why do all the errors always go in one political direction and not closer to 50/50?

I'm not sure if it's feasible to mass deport illegal immigrants, but I'm not surprised most Americans support it.

When their food prices skyrocket then they will complain bigtime.

Political groups on the right and left are using fake news websites designed to look like reliable sources of information to fill the void left by the demise of local newspapers, raising fears of the impact that they might have during America’s bitterly fought 2024 election.

Some media experts are concerned that the so-called pink slime websites, often funded domestically, could prove at least as harmful to political discourse and voters’ faith in media and democracy as foreign disinformation efforts in the 2016 and 2020 presidential elections.

According to a recent report from NewsGuard, a company that aims to counter misinformation by studying and rating news websites, the websites are so prolific that: “The odds are now better than 50-50 that if you see a news website purporting to cover local news, it’s fake.”

NewsGuard estimates that there are a staggering 1,265 such fake local news websites in the US – 4% more than the websites of 1,213 daily newspapers left operating in the country.

“Actors on both sides of the political spectrum” feel “that what they are doing isn’t bad because all media is really biased against their side or that that they know actors on the other side are using these tactics and so they feel they need to,” said Matt Skibinski, general manager of NewsGuard, which determined that such sites now outnumber legitimate local news organizations. “It’s definitely contributed to partisanship and the erosion of trust in media; it’s also a symptom of those things.”

Pink slime websites, named after a meat byproduct, started at least as early as 2004 when Brian Timpone, a former television reporter who described himself as a “biased guy” and a Republican, started funding websites featuring names of cities, towns and regions like the Philly Leader and the South Alabama Times.

Timpone’s company, Metric Media, now operates more than 1,000 such websites and his private equity company receives funding from conservative political action committees, according to NewsGuard.

The Leader recently ran a story with the headline, “Rep Evans votes to count illegal aliens towards seats in Congress.”

In actuality, Representative Dwight Evans, a Democrat, did not vote to start counting undocumented immigrants in the 2030 census but rather against legislation that would have changed the way the country has conducted apportionment since 1790.

That sort of story is “standard practice for these outlets”, according to Tim Franklin, who leads Northwestern University’s Local News Initiative, which researches the industry.

“They will take something that maybe has just a morsel of truth to it and then twist it with their own partisan or ideological spin,” Franklin said. “They also tend to do it on issues like immigration or hot-button topics that they think will elicit an emotional response.”

A story published this month on the NW Arkansas News site had a headline on the front page that reported that the unemployment rate in 2021 in Madison county was 5.1% – even though there is much more recent data available. In April 2024, the local unemployment rate was 2.5%.

“Another tactic that we have seen across many of this category of sites is taking a news story that happened at some point and presenting it as if it just happened now, in a way that is misleading,” Skibinski said.

The left has also created websites designed to look like legitimate news organizations but actually shaped by Democratic supporters.

The liberal Courier Newsroom network operates websites in Arizona, Florida, Iowa, Michigan and Nevada, among other states, that like the conservative pink slime sites, have innocuous sounding names like the Copper Courier and Up North News.

The Courier has runs stories like “Gov Ducey Is Now the Most Unpopular Governor in America,” referring to Doug Ducy, the former Republican Arizona governor.

“In contrast, coverage of Democrats, including US President Joe Biden, Democratic Arizona Gov Katie Hobbs, and US Sen Mark Kelly of Arizona, is nearly always laudatory,” NewsGuard stated in a report about Courier coverage.

Democratic strategist Tara McGowan founded the Courier Newsroom and has received funding from liberal donors like Reid Hoffman and George Soros and groups associated with political action committees, according to NewsGuard.

“There are pink slime operations on both the right and the left. To me, the key is disclosure and transparency about ownership,” said Franklin.

While both the left and the right have invested in the pink slime websites, there are differences in the owners’ approaches, according to Skibinski.…….

When Fox News has new polling, it often gives evening news host Bret Baier the honor of unveiling them. So on Wednesday evening, Baier opened his show with new numbers from the channel’s well-regarded pollsters.

“Good evening. I’m Bret Baier,” he began. “We are releasing new Fox polls right now about the presidential race. President Biden gets his best result this election cycle in the head-to-head against former president Donald Trump. He leads 50 to 48. That is within the margin of error.”

Baier went on to show the recent trend in Fox’s polling, from a five-point Trump lead in March to a one-point lead last month.

“Again,” he reiterated, “all within the margin of error. A very tight race.”

True. Fair. The trend since March has favored Biden, but the difference between Trump leading by one point in May and trailing by two in June is not itself significant. It is a very tight race — maybe slightly tighter than a few weeks ago, but otherwise consistently close.

The result, though, was the first time Biden had led in Fox’s polling since October. That is not news that most Fox News viewers, a group that skews Republican and heavily pro-Trump, is interested in hearing. So, for the rest of the evening, Fox News didn’t talk about it much…….

When Fox News has new polling, it often gives evening news host Bret Baier the honor of unveiling them. So on Wednesday evening, Baier opened his show with new numbers from the channel’s well-regarded pollsters.

“Good evening. I’m Bret Baier,” he began. “We are releasing new Fox polls right now about the presidential race. President Biden gets his best result this election cycle in the head-to-head against former president Donald Trump. He leads 50 to 48. That is within the margin of error.”

Baier went on to show the recent trend in Fox’s polling, from a five-point Trump lead in March to a one-point lead last month.

“Again,” he reiterated, “all within the margin of error. A very tight race.”

True. Fair. The trend since March has favored Biden, but the difference between Trump leading by one point in May and trailing by two in June is not itself significant. It is a very tight race — maybe slightly tighter than a few weeks ago, but otherwise consistently close.

The result, though, was the first time Biden had led in Fox’s polling since October. That is not news that most Fox News viewers, a group that skews Republican and heavily pro-Trump, is interested in hearing. So, for the rest of the evening, Fox News didn’t talk about it much…….

I call BS on all the polls saying Trump is ahead or it is close…..he lost handily in the last election and I simply refuse to believe that more folks will vote for him now (and less will vote for Biden or at all)….he is a convicted felon and spearheaded the stripping of women’s rights….I just can’t accept we have fallen that far as a country to elect this scumbag yet again….

Political groups on the right and left are using fake news websites designed to look like reliable sources of information to fill the void left by the demise of local newspapers, raising fears of the impact that they might have during America’s bitterly fought 2024 election.

Some media experts are concerned that the so-called pink slime websites, often funded domestically, could prove at least as harmful to political discourse and voters’ faith in media and democracy as foreign disinformation efforts in the 2016 and 2020 presidential elections.

According to a recent report from NewsGuard, a company that aims to counter misinformation by studying and rating news websites, the websites are so prolific that: “The odds are now better than 50-50 that if you see a news website purporting to cover local news, it’s fake.”

NewsGuard estimates that there are a staggering 1,265 such fake local news websites in the US – 4% more than the websites of 1,213 daily newspapers left operating in the country.

“Actors on both sides of the political spectrum” feel “that what they are doing isn’t bad because all media is really biased against their side or that that they know actors on the other side are using these tactics and so they feel they need to,” said Matt Skibinski, general manager of NewsGuard, which determined that such sites now outnumber legitimate local news organizations. “It’s definitely contributed to partisanship and the erosion of trust in media; it’s also a symptom of those things.”

Pink slime websites, named after a meat byproduct, started at least as early as 2004 when Brian Timpone, a former television reporter who described himself as a “biased guy” and a Republican, started funding websites featuring names of cities, towns and regions like the Philly Leader and the South Alabama Times.

Timpone’s company, Metric Media, now operates more than 1,000 such websites and his private equity company receives funding from conservative political action committees, according to NewsGuard.

The Leader recently ran a story with the headline, “Rep Evans votes to count illegal aliens towards seats in Congress.”

In actuality, Representative Dwight Evans, a Democrat, did not vote to start counting undocumented immigrants in the 2030 census but rather against legislation that would have changed the way the country has conducted apportionment since 1790.

That sort of story is “standard practice for these outlets”, according to Tim Franklin, who leads Northwestern University’s Local News Initiative, which researches the industry.

“They will take something that maybe has just a morsel of truth to it and then twist it with their own partisan or ideological spin,” Franklin said. “They also tend to do it on issues like immigration or hot-button topics that they think will elicit an emotional response.”

A story published this month on the NW Arkansas News site had a headline on the front page that reported that the unemployment rate in 2021 in Madison county was 5.1% – even though there is much more recent data available. In April 2024, the local unemployment rate was 2.5%.

“Another tactic that we have seen across many of this category of sites is taking a news story that happened at some point and presenting it as if it just happened now, in a way that is misleading,” Skibinski said.

The left has also created websites designed to look like legitimate news organizations but actually shaped by Democratic supporters.

The liberal Courier Newsroom network operates websites in Arizona, Florida, Iowa, Michigan and Nevada, among other states, that like the conservative pink slime sites, have innocuous sounding names like the Copper Courier and Up North News.

The Courier has runs stories like “Gov Ducey Is Now the Most Unpopular Governor in America,” referring to Doug Ducy, the former Republican Arizona governor.

“In contrast, coverage of Democrats, including US President Joe Biden, Democratic Arizona Gov Katie Hobbs, and US Sen Mark Kelly of Arizona, is nearly always laudatory,” NewsGuard stated in a report about Courier coverage.

Democratic strategist Tara McGowan founded the Courier Newsroom and has received funding from liberal donors like Reid Hoffman and George Soros and groups associated with political action committees, according to NewsGuard.

“There are pink slime operations on both the right and the left. To me, the key is disclosure and transparency about ownership,” said Franklin.

While both the left and the right have invested in the pink slime websites, there are differences in the owners’ approaches, according to Skibinski.…….

I don't support fake websites, but Newguard isn't a credible organization. They receive funding from the government so they have no business telling us which websites we should trust and which ones we shouldn't. They are part of the censorship industry.

I don't support fake websites, but Newguard isn't a credible organization. They receive funding from the government so they have no business telling us which websites we should trust and which ones we shouldn't. They are part of the censorship industry.

"Elon, for your peripheral vision, Jimmy Wales advises NewsGuard, which is knee deep in a plot to get gov’ts to bankrupt alternative news."

Boohoo, someone is trying to prevent the spread of harmful, deadly lies.

The media is conjuring up crazy scenarios that nobody believes would happen because we've already been through a Trump presidency. These people are insane.

Trump himself has said he will deport 10 million people, and they will be building camps to hold them during this process. Where’s the lie?

Trump himself has said that media shows that criticize him should be taken off the air, where’s the lie?

The media is conjuring up crazy scenarios that nobody believes would happen because we've already been through a Trump presidency. These people are insane.

As opposed to idiots like Glenn Greenwald?

Why do you hate America?

Go back to Freeperville.

The media is working overtime to cover for Biden while some continue to claim otherwise.

What's your beef, is it a ling horn? By that I mean what difference does it make where Biden walks? At least he can walk.

That other guy out and out waddles around like a dork.

Did you hear that other guy, that Criminal was convicted of 34 felonies by a jury of his peers a couple weeks ago? He doesn't have a name anymore because of that, he's the Criminal now, and that's that.

I know that you know he's a Criminal. And from what I gather you're still going to vote for it. It doesn't get more daft than that.

The question isn't what you think, it's can you think? Are you able to think? Or are you like that weekend at Bernies guy on your avatar? That dead guy who's not going to ever be able to think again?

He's not able to wander off either. Fellers in that stupid movie have to kind of walk him around.

I don't know what they're going to do with him when the rigor sets in, and he starts to smell like carron.

That's awful, and an awful movie about it. It's clearly a movie about the Republican Party. A drunken awful weekend party.

I don't know... .

I don’t think this is getting enough attention. This organization supported Trump and MAGA through illegal means.

I don't think I've ever read an Epoch Times article. Don't intend to. What I remember were the weird Internet ads they ran for a long time.

That Epoch times guy would be on a date at his home, and while cooking her dinner he would be mansplain her all the way to the stove. Mansplain her while the pot was a boiling.

Those ad's in other words cleary said don't read Epoch Times unless you like mansplaining. I don't like that, so I don't read them.

For four long years I had a bag over my head with nose and eye holes cut out because of that Criminal.

I was ashamed of him so I stayed home. I couldn't travel overseas with that bag over my head. They'd make me take it off in the airplane.

Sat on my couch.

CNN kicking Trump surrogates off the air for daring to criticize Jake Tapper. I'm sure CNN will use that same neutralness for the debate/sarcasm off.

Boo hoo 😭

Why did Trump agree to do a debate with Tapper as the moderator?

Are you so blind that you can't see that all Trump and his surrogates are doing is setting the excuse train for when he either backs out or gets curb stomped during the debate?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom