Kyle Rittenhouse given donations by police and other officials... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb, how do you know whose idea it was to wear Blake’s name on the helmets?

Oh and that whole Minnesota Bail Fund thing is just a big lie told to you by one of the liars you evidently listen to. I have to admit, I think it’s ridiculous to keep reading or listening to people who have been shown to be dishonest time after time, but you do whatever you gotta do, I suppose.

Good grief. Try to keep up before you jump in with something that’s been covered several times.

Farb repeated an outright lie. He said that Harris was responsible for getting rioters out of jail so they could burn more buildings down.

That entire statement is a lie, and your tweet doesn’t prove any of it.

Another false equivalency. Rittenhouse straight up murdered someone. While I'm sure some of these protestors were legitimately arrested for property damage, should that preclude someone from raising funds to help those who were just arrested for garden-variety civil disobedience? If so, then you could equally criticize anyone who buys a Tucker Carlson t-shirt because a handful of people who watch his show might be nutjobs his rhetoric spurs to violence. Notice I'm not doing the latter.

Virginia officer fired
    ===================

A police officer in Virginia who donated money to support homicide suspect Kyle Rittenhouse was fired, authorities said Tuesday.

Lt. William Kelly, who worked in internal affairs for the Norfolk Police Department, was terminated after he expressed support for Rittenhouse and made an anonymous $25 donation to his defense fund. The officer's message at the time read, in part: “God bless. Thank you for your courage. Keep your head up. You’ve done nothing wrong.”........

Virginia officer fired
    ===================

A police officer in Virginia who donated money to support homicide suspect Kyle Rittenhouse was fired, authorities said Tuesday.

Lt. William Kelly, who worked in internal affairs for the Norfolk Police Department, was terminated after he expressed support for Rittenhouse and made an anonymous $25 donation to his defense fund. The officer's message at the time read, in part: “God bless. Thank you for your courage. Keep your head up. You’ve done nothing wrong.”........

When anonymous isn't. :scratch:

I’ve always heard that nothing on the internet is truly anonymous and you should act accordingly.

Virginia officer fired
    ===================

Am I the only one who thinks that this is something to be concerned about? I hope Rittenhouse gets the chair but getting fired for making a donation? It just feels like this is crossing a line. I understand free speech and not being free from the consequences of what you say but I think if we get to a point that you can lose your job based on an anonymous donation, that's scary. Or maybe it was the message behind the donation.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is something to be concerned about? I hope Rittenhouse gets the chair but getting fired for making a donation? It just feels like this is crossing a line. I understand free speech and not being free from the consequences of what you say but I think if we get to a point that you can lose your job based on an anonymous donation, that's scary. Or maybe it was the message behind the donation.

He's free to do that, and police department is free to fire him for doing it. But if it's an anonymous donation, I'm wondering whether how they found out was above board. I don't like the idea of companies and governments digging into people's finances to uncover stuff like this. That part is problematic for sure.

You aren’t. I agree with firing him, but I agree with it for the wrong reasons.

You aren’t. I agree with firing him, but I agree with it for the wrong reasons.

I actually don't see the donation in it self as the most offensive thing, but the words he wrote along with it clearly shows a complete ignorance of the law

I actually don't see the donation in it self as the most offensive thing, but the words he wrote along with it clearly shows a complete ignorance of the law

I suppose so, but, it's a message on an anonymous donation, so it's still something that makes me wonder how they found out it was his. He's an idiot for doing it, but how did he get outed?

I suppose so, but, it's a message on an anonymous donation, so it's still something that makes me wonder how they found out it was his. He's an idiot for doing it, but how did he get outed?
    It's in the link in the OP:

A data breach at a Christian crowdfunding website has revealed that serving police officers and public officials have donated money to fundraisers for accused vigilante murderers, far-right activists, and fellow officers accused of shooting black Americans.​
    The breach, shared with journalists by transparency group Distributed Denial of Secrets, revealed the details of some donors who had previously attempted to conceal their identities using GiveSendGo’s anonymity feature, but whose identifying details the website preserved.​
    One donation for $25, made on 3 September last year, was made anonymously, but associated with the official email address for Sgt William Kelly, who currently serves as the executive officer of internal affairs in the Norfolk police department in Virginia.​

He used his official email address, and the data got leaked via a transparency group to journalists.

And once that, and the message associated with it, were in the public domain, I can see how his position wouldn't be tenable.

It's in the link in the OP:

A data breach at a Christian crowdfunding website has revealed that serving police officers and public officials have donated money to fundraisers for accused vigilante murderers, far-right activists, and fellow officers accused of shooting black Americans.​
    The breach, shared with journalists by transparency group Distributed Denial of Secrets, revealed the details of some donors who had previously attempted to conceal their identities using GiveSendGo’s anonymity feature, but whose identifying details the website preserved.​
    One donation for $25, made on 3 September last year, was made anonymously, but associated with the official email address for Sgt William Kelly, who currently serves as the executive officer of internal affairs in the Norfolk police department in Virginia.​

He used his official email address, and the data got leaked via a transparency group to journalists.

And once that, and the message associated with it, were in the public domain, I can see how his position wouldn't be tenable.

Yeah, so they found out through an illegal data breach. Companies and organizations need to protect their customers better. There are privacy laws for a reason. Also, just because there's a data breach doesn't mean it's legal to then make the data public.

Actually, I don’t think it’s illegal to publish information that can be interpreted as in the public interest. So even if the information was obtained illegally, the publisher is protected? Maybe one of our counselors can correct me?

One could argue that having someone in a position of public trust saying that Rittenhouse did nothing wrong is in the public’s interest to know.

IANAL 😁

Actually, I don’t think it’s illegal to publish information that can be interpreted as in the public interest. So even if the information was obtained illegally, the publisher is protected? Maybe one of our counselors can correct me?

One could argue that having someone in a position of public trust saying that Rittenhouse did nothing wrong is in the public’s interest to know.

IANAL 😁

Tell that to Snowden. Lol. Public interest doesn't change the fact that the data spillage or leak is illegal. I'm not sure at what point it would be legal to release it to the public though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom