Joe Rogan volunteers to host/moderate a debate (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

tomwaits

Reaction score
    Joe Rogan says he would host and moderate a 4 hour debate for Trump and Biden.
    Trump say he is in.

I think having a long form debate like this would allow the candidates to fully explain their positions instead of talking in sound bites like in the usual debates.

I think we are a laughing stock because we demand so little of our politicians and accept the crappy debates we have had for years where we just get talking points.

Someone says they will open it up and have meaningful debates and discussions and folks like you resort to the ad hominem attacks and shutting down speech.

I would think what you have to say had something if Trump ever even had a platform he ran on besides racist dog whistles and tax cuts for the filthy.

Realistically do you think he could break down his presidential agenda if asked? He would definitely need to get help from Steven Miller to answer any real questions about his presidential actions.

So yeah sounds great but we would first candidates that could play the game.

So, nobody is advocating for shutting down Rogan, good grief, get your panties out of a bunch.

I literally said in my first post that I would be cool with the format.

Just not a game show host running it. I could point to all kinds of horrible screw ups that are the result of letting a reality game show host run things but I don’t think you are interested in that.

Limiting speech?!? Nah.

Actually I do think less people’s uneducated opinions and more expert opinion should be heard, on a national or international scale - in all arenas. We don’t accept the opinions of people on BleacherReport as sports news, so why should we accept if in things that actually matter? Like politics and healthcare?

How about a Harvard poly-sci professor, or a Carnegie-Melon Econ professor? They have a he actual background to moderate at the level the presidential debates require.

If we need a gross out game show host, mma commentator, or the worst host of the Man Show then we can give Rogen a call.

I think we are a laughing stock because we demand so little of our politicians and accept the crappy debates we have had for years where we just get talking points.
    No, it's definitely the 'electing Trump' thing. The demanding little of politicians and crappy debates thing is neither new nor specific to the USA.

And taking seriously the notion of a game show host and podcast guy, who's publicly criticised one of the candidates over the other, holding a four hour debate doesn't really help, no. Why would it?

"We were laughing at the USA electing Donald Trump to be their President before, but now they're holding a four hour debate moderated by that podcast guy who used to host Fear Factor, that changes everything!"

So everyone is okay with the corrupt Commission of Presidential Debates? Why aren't any other parties allowed to participate in the Presidential debates?

No, it's definitely the 'electing Trump' thing. The demanding little of politicians and crappy debates thing is neither new nor specific to the USA.

And taking seriously the notion of a game show host and podcast guy, who's publicly criticised one of the candidates over the other, holding a four hour debate doesn't really help, no. Why would it?

"We were laughing at the USA electing Donald Trump to be their President before, but now they're holding a four hour debate moderated by that podcast guy who used to host Fear Factor, that changes everything!"
    Our politicians and Obama were part of the reason why Trump got elected. People were so fed up with Obama and the political class that that gave them a giant middle finger and elected Trump.

Doesn't electing Trump go right along with demanding so little from our politicians?

I'd rather it be someone like Trevor Noah. He has had some of the best political interviews I can think of lately.

Or the guy from Axios, since he asked follow up questions like how, why, etc. Simple stuff to make Trump explain things and he was respectful.

Doesn't electing Trump go right along with demanding so little from our politicians?
    Not really, no. You could "demand little" from your university, but that wouldn't go right along with enrolling at 'Trump University' either. "Demanding little" implies low standards, not no standards.

Joe Rogan as moderator?? LOL

the same guy who played the janitor on News Radio ( which was a funny sitcom ) and now hosts a pod cast and does MMA play-by-play????

I guess that goes along the lines of voting for/electing a Reality TV star as POTUS.

What could possibly go wrong?

Many are attacking Joe Rogan personally, but, at the end of the day, he holds a good interview and let's his guests flesh out their ideas without talking over them and applying gotcha tactics. The national debates are a joke, largely useless, and would be more informative if each candidate was debated alone by a moderator. I'm indifferent, but it couldn't be worse than the sensational take format of the group debates. Doubtful this would happen though.

Regardless of whether you like Joe Rogan (and some of you throwing ad hominems seem to have never listened to his interviews), the long format conversation would be incredibly useful in today's climate.

Regardless of whether you like Joe Rogan (and some of you throwing ad hominems seem to have never listened to his interviews), the long format conversation would be incredibly useful in today's climate.
    I like his format, but honestly, I've only really listened to him talk to Maynard from Tool. I can't recall any others. There are a few things I've heard him say that make me turn sideways, but I think the idea of the format is good. I just don't know if he's the guy who should be doing it.

I also don't know how his format plays with two people on opposite sides.

I like his format, but honestly, I've only really listened to him talk to Maynard from Tool. I can't recall any others. There are a few things I've heard him say that make me turn sideways, but I think the idea of the format is good. I just don't know if he's the guy who should be doing it.

I also don't know how his format plays with two people on opposite sides.

The format is important, as is evidenced by the millions of people who regularly listen to long format interviews, lectures, and debates while never watching network news. It allows for a more conversational environment which facilitates clarity and subtlety from the interviewee as they are not bound by unnatural time restraints.

Joe Rogan says weird stuff sometimes. I do not share many of his beliefs. But he does a really good job of allowing people to express their authentic selves without pretense. And if you're putting on for the audience that will be revealed too. It's why his show is so popular.

you would have 1 participant. ( in long format conversation as you described above )

Trump cant have that format. He would inherently turn to one liners/quips and dog whistles - and allowed to do so.

Its tiresome.

One-on-One, he is good. ( He no Howard Stern tho ;) ) but this is a debate that would require time constraints and moderation ( heavy at times )

I don’t think expressing an opinion of Rogan’s qualifications to moderate a debate is really an ad hominem attack, is it? I have listened to him, or at least tried to, a couple of times. Couldn’t get through a whole show. He doesn’t appeal to me at all. But that is a personal opinion.

He has no debate experience, that I’m aware of, and his type of show is not suited to a debate. If the proposal was to have each candidate on his show at different times, then have at it. It’s just not a suitable debate format. You all act like it’s a personal affront that people don’t like him and don’t like his show.

you would have 1 participant. ( in long format conversation as you described above )

Trump cant have that format. He would inherently turn to one liners/quips and dog whistles - and allowed to do so.

Its tiresome.

One-on-One, he is good. ( He no Howard Stern tho ;) ) but this is a debate that would require time constraints and moderation ( heavy at times )

Perhaps you are correct. But I don't see the harm is exploring the idea or even giving it a go. It cannot possibly be worse than what we currently have which is nearly unwatchable and tailored specifically to the one liners and quips you'd like to avoid. I really don't see an argument against this as at the very least we're likely to learn something not afforded by the established mediums.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom