How to improve American Education in 2021. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul

Reaction score
    Latin American from Potomac, Maryland 20854
    The most recent PISA results, from 2015, placed the U.S. an unimpressive 38th out of 71 countries in math and 24th in science. Among the 35 members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which sponsors the PISA initiative, the U.S. ranked 30th in math and 19th in science.

My suggestion is rather simple.

1. Study why immigrants from East Asia, India, and Nigeria do well with American education. Apply that insight to other groups (if possible).
    2. Manage public schools as if though they were private schools with uniforms and discipline.
    3. Create high end special schools for those that are truly disenfranchised.
    4. Create a force of social workers to treat family dysfunction with regards to education.
    5. Reduce the curriculum to the simple basics and repeat that on a yearly basis.
    6. At about 10th grade divide college bound students away from non-college bound.
    7. Provide solid basic education and trade training for non-college bound kids. There is no point in offering free college to these kids.

Last edited:
    Is this your belief or are you relating the alt-left mindset? I really hope that is not your belief and if so, who is 'US'?
    Us is all of us.

"Your" kids grow up to be adults that we all have to live with. They aren't your property.

Sure, it was commonly used by HRC. I rather take care of my children; I distrust the village. Obviously I am not in favor of collectivism.
    You don't get to opt out of collectivism. it exists whether you acknowledge it or not.

Once you try to get specific details the conversation ends. I do not expect an answer. He was just regurgitating a phrase.
    What are you on about? He asked that question half an hour before you posted, and it was answered immediately.

As for children, they're not property, and they should belong to the society they're part of. And I think 'belong' is being misinterpreted here, which is fair enough, it can be ambiguous. But it should be understood in the sense of belonging. Children should feel like they belong here. Feeling like they don't belong, that is being alienated, is not considered to be a good thing with good outcomes.

The 'Dads on Duty' movement @Farb linked to is a part of making that happen; it's a community action, linking the children at school not just with their own dads, but with those of the entire community.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dads-louisiana-high-school-student-violence/

I was thinking about putting this in the BLM thread since this action is in direct oppositions to one of the key tenants of BLM (nuclear family) but this thread works just as well.

This. This is how we correct the course. All kids need positive role models. Masculinity should be celebrated, not labeled as toxic. Parents need to take back education in this country or we will continue to get entitled, ill adjusted, self involved weak people. Cheers to those Dad for standing up their kids and community! We need these groups in every school.
    I like the post, but the last paragraph strikes me as a really weird take; this is the exact opposite of what would be considered toxic masculinity, and those parents aren't 'taking back' education, they're supporting it.

What are you on about? He asked that question half an hour before you posted, and it was answered immediately.

As for children, they're not property, and they should belong to the society they're part of. And I think 'belong' is being misinterpreted here, which is fair enough, it can be ambiguous. But it should be understood in the sense of belonging. Children should feel like they belong here. Feeling like they don't belong, that is being alienated, is not considered to be a good thing with good outcomes.

The 'Dads on Duty' movement @Farb linked to is a part of making that happen; it's a community action, linking the children at school not just with their own dads, but with those of the entire community.
    I do not disagree, but I rather protect my children from strangers I do not know. Raising my kids was my job. My kids are now grown and they belong to the world, sure, no problem.

I cringe when I see working mothers dumping babies into the hands of strangers.

Samiam

I am not in love with the idea of strangers taking care of my children. All my kids were taken care by my wife. She had to give up working but it was worth it.
    yea, unless they were home schooled and locked away, someone other than you and your wife influenced the people they became.

Samiam

I am not in love with the idea of strangers taking care of my children. All my kids were taken care by my wife. She had to give up working but it was worth it.

The expression 'it takes a village' doesn't mean everyone takes turns babysitting or watching over each child in some way. It means that everyone in the community provides an example that the children see and might try to emulate, so perhaps the community should work together and not be selfish dicks.

The expression 'it takes a village' doesn't mean everyone takes turns babysitting or watching over each child in some way. It means that everyone in the community provides an example that the children see and might try to emulate, so perhaps the community should work together and not be selfish dicks.
    Thanks, I get it. That is a very old fashioned conservative idea.

Yes, unfortunately sometimes kids pick up bad memes from classmates and friends. However they may also pick good ones.
    yea, sometimes they pick up bad ones from their parents, and sometimes they pick up good ones from their parents.

Parent's in general, aren't really any more reliable than strangers when it comes to providing memes to our children.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom