How to improve American Education in 2021. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul

Reaction score
    Latin American from Potomac, Maryland 20854
    The most recent PISA results, from 2015, placed the U.S. an unimpressive 38th out of 71 countries in math and 24th in science. Among the 35 members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which sponsors the PISA initiative, the U.S. ranked 30th in math and 19th in science.

My suggestion is rather simple.

1. Study why immigrants from East Asia, India, and Nigeria do well with American education. Apply that insight to other groups (if possible).
    2. Manage public schools as if though they were private schools with uniforms and discipline.
    3. Create high end special schools for those that are truly disenfranchised.
    4. Create a force of social workers to treat family dysfunction with regards to education.
    5. Reduce the curriculum to the simple basics and repeat that on a yearly basis.
    6. At about 10th grade divide college bound students away from non-college bound.
    7. Provide solid basic education and trade training for non-college bound kids. There is no point in offering free college to these kids.

Last edited:
    I suspected you were looking for an opportunity to cry racism. BTW, I am a moderate and very far away from being a conservative.
    liberal-argument-playbook-use-these-tips-when-debating-an-informed-5529403.png

People have offered plenty of viewpoints, arguments, and evidence that you have ignore repeatedly, as RobF pointed out in the post above yours. Despite that, you continue to stick to your same points.

If you don't want your viewpoints labeled as racist or ableist, you should stop holding racist and ableist viewpoints.

Yes, but as per percentage of gdp, only Germany, England and Italy spend less.
    As far as paying people during Covid, if you thought schools were simply just shut down and these guys were soaking up a check, I’m not even going to discuss the what’s of what was going on.
    As far as district admin, those salaries are negotiated by the board which is a public entity. No district people can approve those salaries.

First separating out students that are disabled is an automatic violation of every law on the books. I can assure you also the special needs group as a whole is very active and absolutely unafraid to sue, and they will win. A lot. And your utopia will fail to exist

A larger district does have a lot of employees. Human Resources, technology, budget, aids, mechanics, gardeners, custodians, food service, transportation, HVAC, plumbing, carpenters just to name a few. You may not like those salaries, but every one is approved by the publicly elected school board. Every one also you are in competition with other trades and industries. Here’s a developing problem we are facing now. You say you want good teachers. I make just shy of 100,000 a year. For California that’s a nice paycheck. But, both of my kids who entered the workforce December of 19 are making more than I am. My daughter in business with her next raise will make more than my wife who is in the district office. And we have both tapped out our pay. Within 2 years I could make more than what I do in education in any number of jobs. With starting pay as low as it is, and having to work 25 years and 75 college units to get to this level, we have teaching shortages. And I can assure you we are having issues getting the best. Who wants to deal with education? The younger generation sure not.

You keep saying private schools outperform public yet you have supplied no proof. Charter schools when compared to public in California do worse. Private schools don’t do near as well either. Using data from the military entrance test, which measures against public and private, there is no advantage. So where you are getting this advantage from I’m not sure. Unless the private school strips the top layer away from public then crows about how they are better. Gee I’d sure hope. Not hard to make a high achieving kid in a supportive demanding family succeed.
    You
    Naw this shows he does. Haven’t you noticed it’s at the point where they have nothing left to say that works, nothing left to say that has any content and bearing at all when they pull out stupid memes like this. It’s the end of any discussion with someone like this. It’s throwing a fit, because there is nothing left, and nowhere else to go
    You spent a lot of words defending a school system that does not work for the poor and disenfranchised. A system where the left wing elite administrators of the school system pay themselves exorbitant salaries.

700e8e74-8543-427f-b59a-afae69277900-medium16x9_3_31baltgraduation.PNG

About 70% of students graduate from high school in Baltimore. I do not call that success. BTW, those that graduate are vastly uneducated.

Catholic high schools graduate near 100% and most go to college.

Perhaps you are just a contrrian

People have offered plenty of viewpoints, arguments, and evidence that you have ignore repeatedly, as RobF pointed out in the post above yours. Despite that, you continue to stick to your same points.

If you don't want your viewpoints labeled as racist or ableist, you should stop holding racist and ableist viewpoints.
    Thanks
    You prove my point again.
    I understand other perspectives. But, using the R word is simply poor form.

You

You spent a lot of words defending a school system that does not work for the poor and disenfranchised. A system where the left wing elite administrators of the school system pay themselves exorbitant salaries.

700e8e74-8543-427f-b59a-afae69277900-medium16x9_3_31baltgraduation.PNG

About 70% of students graduate from high school in Baltimore. I do not call that success. BTW, those that graduate are vastly uneducated.

Catholic high schools graduate near 100% and most go to college.

Perhaps you are just a contrrian
    Ooooo left wing elite. Very nice assumption and completely expected. Everything you have suggested is generally illegal, so amazingly full of white privilege, absolutely impractical or just generally a farce or wrong that all you have left is memes and insults.
    You go.

OK, fair point. The solution is easy. Create schools for those with special needs or learning disabilities and create separate schools for the others. Let's educate some kids instead of educating none. Why is the administration of public schools so bloated? Why is Baltimore paying exorbitant salaries for no results? How come the school system has more bureaucrats in the payroll than actual teachers? This why schools should be contracted out to private firms.

Lastly, private schools do better because the kids and parents are the customers and the school wants to keep them as customers. They are a billion times more responsive to the needs of the children.

Creating 704 new types of schools is in direct conflict with your notion of too expensive.

How, pray tell, are you going to create specialized schools in rural areas to deal with blind kids or handicapped children?

Or, are you so extreme as to just suggest we remove any kid with anything you see as less than ideal and ship them off to specialized camps?

I don't know that I've ever thrown the nazi card in my life, but I'm about to. Right after the stupid flag since the clown shoes seem to have become stylish.

I suspected you were looking for an opportunity to cry racism. BTW, I am a moderate and very far away from being a conservative.
    liberal-argument-playbook-use-these-tips-when-debating-an-informed-5529403.png

There hasn't been a well informed conservative around here since it formed and the closest thing to it is me and I'm not even allowed in the conservative area.

Creating 704 new types of schools is in direct conflict with your notion of too expensive.

How, pray tell, are you going to create specialized schools in rural areas to deal with blind kids or handicapped children?

Or, are you so extreme as to just suggest we remove any kid with anything you see as less than ideal and ship them off to specialized camps?

I don't know that I've ever thrown the nazi card in my life, but I'm about to. Right after the stupid flag since the clown shoes seem to have become stylish.
    As a general rule you guys play the N card after playing the R card.
    I see nothing wrong with specialized schools.

There hasn't been a well informed conservative around here since it formed and the closest thing to it is me and I'm not even allowed in the conservative area.
    Yeah but you’re a conservative like my dad. Well thought out, have your position and can state why and make people think. All conservative is now is muh freedumbs, Trump truck rallies and gassing people for photo ops while destabilizing our entire tax base so the 1% can avoid pretty much any taxes.

Even though it exacerbates everything you say is a problem in education, as has been pointed out?

Rural BFE Arkansas can't afford a specialized school for the 3 handicap kids.

When you kidnap them from their parents and relocate are you going to send them to a place where they'll be taught Jesus was a white guy and that he rode a dinosaur to the golf course?

When you kidnap them from their parents and relocate are you going to send them to a place where they'll be taught Jesus was a white guy and that he rode a dinosaur to the golf course?
    As long as they wear a suit and say please and thank you mas…… wait have good manners Paul’s all good with it

Even though it exacerbates everything you say is a problem in education, as has been pointed out?
    Baltimore has more administrators than actual teachers on the payroll. They only graduate 70% of students and most of those that graduate are undereducated. I cannot understand why anyone defends this type of education system and then has the temerity to ask for money when the money goes to the pockets of the overinflated bureaucrasy attached to the government mammary gland.

Guys, stop playing the R card. This is not about race. This is about perennial substandard education for the poor.

As a general rule, you play the Latin American card after playing the Latin American card.

Baltimore has more administrators than actual teachers on the payroll. They only graduate 70% of students and most of those that graduate are undereducated. I cannot understand why anyone defends this type of education system and then has the temerity to ask for money when the money goes to the pockets of the overinflated bureaucrasy attached to the government mammary gland.

What does Baltimore have to do with anything? Is Baltimore's system so broken that you feel it justifies spending even more money to build the large number of specialized schools you think should exist, despite the fact that your issue is that more money does not equate to better outcomes?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom