First presidential debate (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

It's not really about messaging.
    So, let me see if I've got this straight, Trump's campaign sits and talks with a reporter that they know is there, but Trump's campaign isn't using the report to message, even though they know the reporter will report only on what they tell and show the reporter?

The same Trump campaign who's only use for the press is to message?

Now on the other hand, anybody that publicly backs Biden is just messaging and doesn't mean what they say in public?

And now for something completely relevant:

In the secretly recorded video of Trump, which meant Trump had no reason to not be candid and sincere, Trump very obviously was happy about the idea of Biden dropping out and bragged about making Biden drop out.

It's the most compelling evidence of what Trump truly wants and it shows he absolutely wants Biden out of the race, even after the debate.

That's compelling evidence that shows Trump sees Biden as a threat.

Every time someone mentions Trump doesn't want Biden out of the race and doesn't see him as threat. I'm going to remind everyone of that candid and sincere video of Trump which shows he clearly wants Biden out of the race. Trump would only want that if he saw Biden as a threat.

I'll also remind everyone that Trump's internal polling is showing him that Biden is a threat or he wouldn't be trying to force Biden out of the race.

Last edited:
    Trump may have cognitive decline, but he doesn’t exhibit the lapses in memory and slurred speech.
    Actually he has in multiple videos from multiple public appearances for about a year now. He also completely loses his train of thought and starts rambling about something completely unrelated.

Trump's repeatedly said he's running against Obama. That he beat Obama. He said Haley was the Speaker of the House on Jan 6th when it was Pelosi.

He's jumbled words badly. He's had trouble sounding out words. He's mumbled. He's had trouble following what's written on a teleprompter. He couldn't stay a wake during his trial in the early parts of the day.

And it wasn't long ago he said he was waging a war or a fight "against American democracy."

All of that has been going on for a year and we've seen a lot of it even though Trump has interacted with a lot less people and spoken in public a lot less often than Biden. Trump is the one being hidden from people.

What I am saying is that there’s most certainly a basis for assuming a possible medical condition from observed behavior.
    And there's at least an equal basis for assuming Trump has a medical condition based on observed behavior. Also if you listen to everything Trump actually says, then there's also a strong basis for assuming he has an antisocial psychological disorder or disorders.

Last edited:
    The only thing they are worried about would be a Biden dropout from the race.

In the secretly recorded video of Trump, which meant Trump had no reason to not be candid and sincere, Trump very obviously was happy about the idea of Biden dropping out and bragged about making Biden drop out.

It's the most compelling evidence of what Trump truly wants and it shows he absolutely wants Biden out of the race, even after the debate.

That's compelling evidence that shows Trump sees Biden as a threat.

Every time someone mentions Trump doesn't want Biden out of the race and doesn't see him as threat. I'm going to remind everyone of that candid and sincere video of Trump which shows he clearly wants Biden out of the race. Trump would only want that if he saw Biden as a threat.

I'll also remind everyone that Trump's internal polling is showing him that Biden is a threat or he wouldn't be trying to force Biden out of the race.

Last edited:
    I linked it previously in the comments about this article. You can take their comments at face value, or not.
    If history has taught us nothing, it's that it's not wise to take the word of anyone associated with Trump at face value, especially when they are trying to help him win an election.

Last edited:
    I knew eventually someone would blame progressives for the schism over Biden.
    Care to respond to what I actually said, instead of this bratty and false summary of what I said?

I didn't blame the schism over Biden on anyone. The only thing I said was that:
    • In 2016, there was a significant number of Bernie Sanders supporters who refused to vote, because they thought he was treated unfairly.
    • Some of those same Sanders supporters, who refused to vote out of anger in 2016, are making the mistake of assuming that a significant portion of Biden supporters, and there are a lot of them, will not also refuse to vote if Biden is replaced.
    • That means that any replacement will likely lose Democratic voters, which will mean they will probably have less of a chance of winning than Biden.
    I didn't even use the word progressive anywhere in my post. That's how badly you misquoted me.

Respond to the points I actually made if you can refute any of the points I made.

My post was long, so in a nutshell:
    • When you look at the head to head numbers (head to head is the question that asks voters how they will vote) in the polls that J-Donk relies on, those numbers show that based on what voters are saying, Trump and Biden are in a neck and neck race.
    • J-Donk only quotes the "approval" and "too old" response numbers, because they are the only numbers that support his arguments that Biden.
    • Those opinion numbers aren't as important or reliable to getting a sense of how voting would, as the head to head numbers are important and reliable.
    • Not only is Biden in a neck and neck race, even with everything the voters know and have heard about Biden since the debate, there is no replacement that is doing better than Biden in head to head against Trump and none of them have been smeared by Trump yet and there will likely be a backlash against any replacement from Biden supporters.
    It's not actually supported by the polls J-Donk relies on that any replacement will actually have any better chance than Biden.

Last edited:
    Everyone better watch this to see if he's been good or bad.

That means you might want to get some warm up chewing done on your fingernails before pressing the start button.

I thought he was doing good. Met and even exceeded my expectation.

Everyone gets to decide.

Which suggest through implication that no one but Biden actually gets to decide.

I think the main reason he struggles with words is because aging has made it harder for him to control his stutter. When he gets tongue tied in that speech, it's because of his stutter, not any inability to think or focus.

If anyone watches that video and argues that Biden can't form a complete sentence or thought while off teleprompter, then they either aren't grounded in reality or worse.

For the people who think the public backlash over the debate is healthy, here is some actual data.

The debate isn’t what is hurting Biden. All evidence indicates that historically debate performances actually do not matter one bit to voters, per Alan Lichtman, which was posted by me earlier in the thread. Now here is a study that has clearly laid that out, on top of the Northeastern study I previously posted and yet nobody who is calling for Biden to step down has even addressed.

Instead, when I point out that this media and pundit feeding frenzy is doing actual damage I get accused of telling people to shut up. I never told anyone to shut up, Jon and others in this thread - pointing out that what you are doing is actually hurting the Democratic Party isn’t telling you to shut up. And acting like you’re being victimized is conveniently keeping you from acknowledging the truth of what I am saying.

There was leaked insider polling that showed all these candidates doing better then Biden.
    Do you have link directly to that leaked insider poll?

If you posted the link directly to that leaked insider poll, please post it or tell me what post it's in, because I missed it.

Last edited:
    Everyone better watch this to see if he's been good or bad.

That means you might want to get some warm up chewing done on your fingernails before pressing the start button.

I thought he was doing good. Met and even exceeded my expectation.

Everyone gets to decide.

Which suggest through implication that no one but Biden actually gets to decide.

Thanks for posting that. I hadn’t seen it yet. As I said before, I have been trying to pay attention to his appearances more closely since the debate. And this confirms what I have thought since the debate, which is that he seems the same as before the debate. I haven’t seen any more performances thaf were like the debate.

Clooney isn’t the only person who said Biden was senile at the fundraiser. Everyone who was there saw it.
    That's not true at all. Several people who were at the fundraiser say Biden was there longer than Clooney and spent a lot of time talking to a lot of people and was just fine.

Several disagree with Clooney, nowhere near everyone agrees with Clooney or saw what he saw.

Let's see how this plays out over the next few days.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
    Sure I do. You just don't like the things I'm talking about that I do know and this is the only response you could come up with.

Many other people who were at the fundraiser have said the same thing.
    Many other people at the fundraiser have said the exact opposite thing. They have said that Biden was there longer than Clooney and that Biden spent a lot of time talking to people and he was just fine.

No, I’m not finding links for you. It’s not my job to inform you.
    Links, I didn't ask for no stinking links. Nowhere in my post did I ask for links.

The race isn’t remotely neck and neck.
    The polls, that the people who claim "Biden can't win" quote, show they are neck and neck in head to head questions. Those are the questions that actually ask voters how they would vote. Those are the most reliable numbers if one is going to rely on polls.

Last edited:
    For the people who think the public backlash over the debate is healthy, here is some actual data.

The debate isn’t what is hurting Biden. All evidence indicates that historically debate performances actually do not matter one bit to voters, per Alan Lichtman, which was posted by me earlier in the thread. Now here is a study that has clearly laid that out, on top of the Northeastern study I previously posted and yet nobody who is calling for Biden to step down has even addressed.

Yeppers, and if Biden is replaced, it's likely going to be a drag on his replacement too.

Instead, when I point out that this media and pundit feeding frenzy is doing actual damage I get accused of telling people to shut up. I never told anyone to shut up, Jon and others in this thread - pointing out that what you are doing is actually hurting the Democratic Party isn’t telling you to shut up. And acting like you’re being victimized is conveniently keeping you from acknowledging the truth of what I am saying.
    That's the whole point of acting like a victim.

It's a way of shutting out the truth they don't want to hear and know, so that their beliefs aren't challenged. They use the false accusation of being shouted down try to discredit you, get you to shut up and/or bully you for speaking the truth they don't want to hear and know.

The louder they shout you down and the more they hurl false accusations at you, the more you know they actually heard and know the truth. Don't expect them to ever acknowledge it or discuss it rationally. They aren't capable of that and will only project what they actually do onto you.

Last edited:
    I'm noticing a consistent pattern. Some of the posters, banging the drum to pressure Biden to drop out, have difficulty understanding what disagreeing posters have actually written. They routinely say posters said things that they didn't say or change the context of what posters did say.

It's starting to happen more and more frequently.

Meanwhile I notice that @LA - L.A. and @MT15 chose not to respond to this...
    You haven't responded to any of my several posts over the last several days, so let's call it even.

Don't you fret none though, if you post something worth responding to I will.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom