Elon Musk and Twitter Reach Deal for Sale (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
Elon Musk struck a deal on Monday to buy Twitter for roughly $44 billion, in a victory by the world’s richest man to take over the influential social network frequented by world leaders, celebrities and cultural trendsetters.

Twitter agreed to sell itself to Mr. Musk for $54.20 a share, a 38 percent premium over the company’s share price this month before he revealed he was the firm’s single largest shareholder. It would be the largest deal to take a company private — something Mr. Musk has said he will do with Twitter — in at least two decades, according to data compiled by Dealogic.

“Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated,” Mr. Musk said in a statement announcing the deal. “Twitter has tremendous potential — I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it.”

The deal, which has been unanimously approved by Twitter’s board, is expected to close this year, subject to a vote of Twitter shareholders and certain regulatory approvals.

The blockbuster agreement caps what had seemed an improbable attempt by the famously mercurial Mr. Musk, 50, to buy the social media company — and immediately raises questions about what he will do with the platform and how his actions will affect online speech globally.

If Musk does what he claims he wants to do it will be a big improvement and good for free speech.

do you think his actions on Twitter factor in to his true personailty?
It seems that he suffers from the problem that many “successful” businesspeople have: that he has expertise where he does not. This also results in demanding deference and reverence for every word that falls from their mouths. It is quite possible that he has other issues that contribute to his attitudes but I don’t know about those.

Something I think applies is Tim Schwab’s book: The Bill Gates Problem: Reckoning with the Myth of the Good Billionaire.

Elon Musk is a fraud as an inventor, integrator and innovator. Sure, if you ask him or his buddies who've taken up residence in his rectum, Elon Musk is the smartest man that ever lived. If you ask everyone else who's spent time with him, he's a spoiled, fascist, authoritarian, bullying brat and arrogant buffoon who's skin is as thin as a single hydrogen atom.

Why do you always rush in to defend fascists authoritarians like Trump, Musk, Trump's Project 2025 gang and so on?
Trump is a slug that I never would support. Still entitled to proper constitutional process.

Spacex alone speaks to his intelligence and advanced innovation. Tesla as well. Gigafactories, power wall, solar power, reusable rockets, Starlink, Neuralink, Megapacks, Gigacasting. And I’m sure more to come. His success outweighs the flaws.

Trump is a slug that I never would support. Still entitled to proper constitutional process.

Spacex alone speaks to his intelligence and advanced innovation. Tesla as well. Gigafactories, power wall, solar power, reusable rockets, Starlink, Neuralink, Megapacks, Gigacasting. And I’m sure more to come. His success outweighs the flaws.

So you think Elon engineered the reusable rockets, Neuralink, Megapacks, Starlink?

do you know his "come up" history with PayPal then Tesla?

Musk really has to be separated into two people. The person he was before he got involved in right wing politics (i.e. before X, Covid, ect.) and the person he's been since then. Unfortunately for him and so many others, his slide into kookiville has been too dramatic to ignore since he took up right wing causes.

I give him credit for the things he's done in building his companies. Not that I agree with everything he's done or how he's done, or even know all of that information, but I think it takes a certain vision and skill to lead people to do things that haven't been done before. He obviously isn't the one or group of people that have innovated and created the technological advance that have powered his companies to the successes they have had, but having somebody at the top who leads and support those advances and believes in that vision are crucial to any such innovations. Unlike Trump, Elon was actually is an adept businessman.

Since his slide into the right wing, he's lost many of those qualities. His purchase of X and the distraction it has brought have completely eroded his business acumen and credibility. So much so that he's hurting his other companies. He's a shell of what he used to be.

He did all that while tweeting 10+ times per day.

I like Elon as the entrepreneur. He has been able to assemble some of the brightest minds ( SpaceX ) to actually build his vision.

Where i get a bit sideways is the praise that is heaped on him for the creation of Tesla - he JOINED Tesla after becoming its largest shareholder in 2004. ( it was formed in 2003 by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning ) so he had no role in the creation of Tesla other than to become its largest shareholder.
Same goes for Nueralink, Giga whatever, his DOJO chips competing w/ NVIDIA etc etc- Elon isnt the lead engineer at design, mfg or any of this.

So while i do applaud his ability to get folks on board with the knowledge and skill to make his visions come true, thats about where it ends for me. His knowledge, as extensive as it may appear, is due to having folks around him that actually know. He does absorb the info and understands it to a degree, but the technical aspects leaves a lot to be desired.

its same reason he has been promising autonomous driving since 2014 or so. He doesnt fully understand what it takes ( from technical side ) to actually create a full autonomous vehicle.

And i bet if you ask any of his lead engineers how hard he pushes, it would be a resounding "hard".

There was a show i watched called Salvation (2017). While watching it, i thought they were using Elon as the basis. but after Elon bought Twitter, and his history got put front and center, i realized there was ZERO chance they were basing the character off Elon..

“He really is a genius when it comes to material properties, when it comes to engineering,” said Isaacson. But he is “not a genius” on “human emotions.”

So Walter Isaacson is clearly an intelligent gentleman with open access to Musk. I’ll defer to Walter.

“He really is a genius when it comes to material properties, when it comes to engineering,” said Isaacson. But he is “not a genius” on “human emotions.”

So Walter Isaacson is clearly an intelligent gentleman with open access to Musk. I’ll defer to Walter.

i hear ya.

Oh, this is ridic … … … well, this actually is the second GOP presidential campaign he’s done this to.

Spacex alone speaks to his intelligence...
Never said Elon was not intelligent.

... and advanced innovation.
What specifically did Elon Musk contribute to SpaceX besides money? As for as all of the other things you listed, they were all preexisting technologies and all of their products and services got worse after Musk took over.

His success outweighs the flaws.
They do to you, because you love you some fascist authoritarians like Trump and Musk.

Never said Elon was not intelligent.

What specifically did Elon Musk contribute to SpaceX besides money? As for as all of the other things you listed, they were all preexisting technologies and all of their products and services got worse after Musk took over.

They do to you, because you love you some fascist authoritarians like Trump and Musk.
I fancy people that bring us Starlink, Spacex, Tesla, Power Walls, Gigacasting, PayPal, Megapacks, Neuralink, etc., etc.

I have no use for trump.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom