Election Electoral College predictions (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard

Staff member
    Reaction score
    To get our minds off of the virus, debates and campaign theatrics for a moment, I thought it might be an interesting exercise to post our predictions of the final Electoral College margin. Of course, any prediction made would be a moment-in-time snapshot of what we think will happen given the current circumstances. Any number of factors could influence the vote over the final month of the campaign.

There are sites that can help you arrive at your prediction. Real Clear Politics and 538 have polling data that can help you come up with a number. I use RCP mostly because they have a good interactive national map that's easy to use and they don't include polls conducted by companies like SurveyMonkey. They do, however include partisan polling, like Trafalgar and Change Research.

My prediction started with looking at a best case scenario for a Trump reelection. I started by putting all of the states shown to lean in one direction in that camp. RCP shows states like Indiana and Missouri leaning Trump and Oregon and Virginia leaning Biden when those states and others like them are certainly going to end up in those columns. That leaves 11 "battleground" states (and two one-vote congressional districts) that theoretically could go either way and gives a picture of a 226-125 Biden lead before assigning a winner in those states. In looking at Trump's best case scenario, I gave him every state in which he is marginally ahead and those he is behind by less less than five points, as well as the two congressional districts. That would provide Biden with a slim 278-260 win. To come out with a better scenario for Trump, you would need to assign one or more of Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin or New Hampshire to Trump and he is trailing in all of those states by more than five points.

However, I don't believe that Trump will achieve his best case numbers and Biden could win several more states, like Arizona, Ohio, Florida, Iowa, North Carolina, Georgia and Texas. I still think Trump will likely keep Texas, Iowa and Georgia, so my prediction as of today is 353-185 in favor of Biden.

If you choose to participate in this exercise, you are welcome to give different predictions over the course of the next month. I intend to post a final prediction on Nov. 2/3 and may even post a weekly prediction, depending on the level of participation.

Last edited:
    Harris County is shutting down 9 of the 10 drive thru voting locations tomorrow instead of fight the Republicans in court or having people cast ballots that may be thrown out. That is going to really hurt the effort the flip Texas because it will almost definitely reduce the Democrat vote count.
    Is this a negotiated agreement to prevent an appeal to the 5th Circuit re: those 100,000 votes that already voted in this manner? If so, I understand why they'd take it. Keep those votes valid and funnel potential voters to standard election day voting rather than have those people vote by a method that risks being thrown out.

Is this a negotiated agreement to prevent an appeal to the 5th Circuit re: those 100,000 votes that already voted in this manner? If so, I understand why they'd take it. Keep those votes valid and funnel potential voters to standard election day voting rather than have those people vote by a method that risks being thrown out.

Yes, it was. I think they are doing the right thing to keep votes from being thrown out later, but even Rick Santorum said it’s terrible the Republicans are trying to shutdown those drive through voting stations.

I think that would be a bad idea.
    I see no way Biden wins Florida with numbers like that.
    Trump supporters have been voting early in droves in the northwest panhandle. I'm not convinced Trump will have a huge election day jump. Also, independent voters are not being accounted for in that tweet.

This is the chart I mentioned in the other thread. This looks like a blue Texas to me. 120% of the 2016 vote total ALREADY in some of urban texas is pretty remarkable.

123379737_10217109068189422_4873679638791267281_o.jpg

Unfortunately I think there will be enough suppression and/or spoilage with early voting/mail-in ballots that no winner will be declared tonight. There is way too much uncertainty with the standards governing how ballots are counted in the key states.

I will, however, be delighted if Florida, North Carolina, or even Texas is called tonight for Biden.

Unfortunately I think there will be enough suppression and/or spoilage with early voting/mail-in ballots that no winner will be declared tonight. There is way too much uncertainty with the standards governing how ballots are counted in the key states.

I will, however, be delighted if Florida, North Carolina, or even Texas is called tonight for Biden.

All I need for my faith in America and Americans restored is to see Texas go blue. The early vote totals are off the charts, I think it has a good chance of happening. I will definitely be getting drunk and calling in tomorrow if that happens. Lol.

538's final projection.

Our 2020 forecasts — presidential, Senate, House — are all now officially frozen, meaning we won’t be ingesting any new polls or updating the odds in any race. At the end of a loooooong campaign, here’s where we stand: Joe Biden is favored to beat President Trump (though Trump still has a 1-in-10 chance); Democrats have a 3-in-4 shot at taking back the Senate; and the House will most likely remain under Democratic control (Democrats might even expand their majority by a few seats). The big picture is clear: The overall electoral environment favors Democrats, which is one reason they have decent odds of controlling the presidency, Senate and House (a 72 percent chance, according to our forecast). Of course, there’s always the chance of a polling error, which tends to be correlated from state to state when it happens. Trump needs a bigger-than-normal error in his favor, but the real possibility that polls are underestimating Trump’s support is why he still has a path to win reelection. A 10 percent chance of winning is not a zero percent chance. In fact, that is roughly the same odds that it’s raining in downtown Los Angeles. And it does rain there. (Downtown L.A. has about 36 rainy days per year, or about a 1-in-10 shot of a rainy day.)

• According to our final presidential forecast, Pennsylvania is the most likely tipping-point state, and a lot of Biden’s chances in the Electoral College hinge on what happens in the Keystone State. He leads Trump there by about 5 points in our polling average, but it’s not as large a margin as Biden might like. Last week, we gamed out what would happen if Biden lost Pennsylvania but won other Midwestern states like Wisconsin. (TL;DR there’s no clear Plan B for Biden.) Want to run through your own hypothetical scenarios? You now can with our interactive forecast that lets you explore the ways each candidate could win. We’re hoping to use this tool ourselves on election night to better understand Biden and Trump’s paths to victory, especially if the outstanding vote takes a while to be counted.
    • Unless Trump or Biden has a really good night on Nov. 3, it’s pretty unlikely, though, that either of them will hit the 270 electoral votes needed to win by the end of the night. That doesn’t necessarily mean, though, that we won’t have a pretty good idea of who won. It’s all going to come down to how close some of the key battleground races are and whether a representative share of the vote can be reported, which won’t always be possible given the challenges of the pandemic. We’re tracking when we expect results in every state.

All I need for my faith in America and Americans restored is to see Texas go blue. The early vote totals are off the charts, I think it has a good chance of happening. I will definitely be getting drunk and calling in tomorrow if that happens. Lol.
    Oh I plan to start drinking around five and pretty much continue until I'm well anesthetized.

If Texas goes blue, I will wear a Cowboys Jersey.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom