Election Electoral College predictions (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard

Staff member
    Reaction score
    To get our minds off of the virus, debates and campaign theatrics for a moment, I thought it might be an interesting exercise to post our predictions of the final Electoral College margin. Of course, any prediction made would be a moment-in-time snapshot of what we think will happen given the current circumstances. Any number of factors could influence the vote over the final month of the campaign.

There are sites that can help you arrive at your prediction. Real Clear Politics and 538 have polling data that can help you come up with a number. I use RCP mostly because they have a good interactive national map that's easy to use and they don't include polls conducted by companies like SurveyMonkey. They do, however include partisan polling, like Trafalgar and Change Research.

My prediction started with looking at a best case scenario for a Trump reelection. I started by putting all of the states shown to lean in one direction in that camp. RCP shows states like Indiana and Missouri leaning Trump and Oregon and Virginia leaning Biden when those states and others like them are certainly going to end up in those columns. That leaves 11 "battleground" states (and two one-vote congressional districts) that theoretically could go either way and gives a picture of a 226-125 Biden lead before assigning a winner in those states. In looking at Trump's best case scenario, I gave him every state in which he is marginally ahead and those he is behind by less less than five points, as well as the two congressional districts. That would provide Biden with a slim 278-260 win. To come out with a better scenario for Trump, you would need to assign one or more of Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin or New Hampshire to Trump and he is trailing in all of those states by more than five points.

However, I don't believe that Trump will achieve his best case numbers and Biden could win several more states, like Arizona, Ohio, Florida, Iowa, North Carolina, Georgia and Texas. I still think Trump will likely keep Texas, Iowa and Georgia, so my prediction as of today is 353-185 in favor of Biden.

If you choose to participate in this exercise, you are welcome to give different predictions over the course of the next month. I intend to post a final prediction on Nov. 2/3 and may even post a weekly prediction, depending on the level of participation.

Last edited:
    Should be able to get a decent idea on how much support Trump has lost early in the night tomorrow. Indiana and Kentucky will be the early states to come in: Indiana went 56% to Trump, Kentucky went 62%. Both had right under 60% turnout.
    If you see Trump support dropping by 10% or more - say Indiana just above 50% and Kentucky around 55% then that is a good sign Trump is toast, imo. Even more so if it combined with turnout over 60%.
    If he is roughly in the same range then expect a long night and perhaps a long week - even more so if that is combined with turnout over 60%.

A reminder.

Moreover, because polling errors are somewhat correlated from state to state, if Biden loses Pennsylvania, he would no longer be a favorite in states such as Florida and Georgia — where he’s narrowly ahead now — because it would be a sign that Trump had outperformed his polls again. Of course, this only goes so far: In 2016, Trump massively outperformed his polls in the Midwest, but there wasn’t much of a polling error in Arizona. Still, losing Pennsylvania would take Biden from favorite to underdog.

I was going to write this earlier but forgot -
    if you look at midwest polls (Mich, Penn, Wisc) in B- or better polls (ranked by 538) that differentiate between likely voters and registered voters Trump fares better with registered voters. It's not huge, 1 to 3 points, but it is interesting and it has been fairly consistent as best I can tell. He needs higher turnout in those states.

I was going to write this earlier but forgot -
    if you look at midwest polls (Mich, Penn, Wisc) in B- of better polls (ranked by 538) that differentiate between likely voters and registered voters Trump fares better with registered voters. It's not huge, 1 to 3 points, but it is interesting and it has been fairly consistent as best I can tell. He needs higher turnout in those states.
    I know they're trying hard in Michigan... I keep getting texts from Michigan Republican's pushing me to vote... maybe they think I'm my dad? lol. I have come close to trolling them, but meh...

538's last predictions. Probably won't see much change.

1604334078630.png

Very small overlap.

1604334103598.png

1604334127073.png

For Florida...

1604334216272.png

1604334235823.png

1604334251085.png

Trump may have to actually say nice things about ABC and the Washington Post...

1604334281715.png

Y'all can click on the link to see PA. Basically, Joe has a much higher % chance of winning PA than FL or NC.

I am probably going too far down the rabbit hole in looking at these polling numbers - but I have nothing else to do.

Is Nevada in play? It hasn't been polled a whole lot. Siena/NYT had Biden up 6 at 49% (10/23-26) and Emerson has Biden +2 at 49% in a poll conducted 10/29-31. Did not realize it might be that close.

I guess the only way it could potentially matter is if Trump wins Penn (and NC/FL/GA) he could lose Arizona and still win with Nevada.

I am probably going too far down the rabbit hole in looking at these polling numbers - but I have nothing else to do.

Is Nevada in play? It hasn't been polled a whole lot. Siena/NYT had Biden up 6 at 49% (10/23-26) and Emerson has Biden +2 at 49% in a poll conducted 10/29-31. Did not realize it might be that close.

I guess the only way it could potentially matter is if Trump wins Penn (and NC/FL/GA) he could lose Arizona and still win with Nevada.

It's a bit telling that even Trafalgar has Biden +2.
    1604335197194.png

1604335219156.png

1604335250348.png

3 state comparison of 538's projected vote share 2016 v. 2020 only taking Trump vote

Pennsylvania:

2016: Trump 45.2 Actual 48.1
    2020: 47.1 Actual ?

Florida:

2016 Trump 47.5 Actual 49
    2020 48.4

Michigan:

2016 Trump 44.2 Actual 47.5
    2020 45.4

With Clinton:
    Penn
    538 model: 48.9 actual 47.4

Florida
    538: 48.1 actual 47.8

Michigan
    538: 48.4 actual 47.2

IF that holds true for this cycle you could add roughly 3 points to Trump in midwest states and subtract 1 to 1.5 from Biden

Florida: add 1.5 to Trump and subtract 1.5 from Biden

Doing that gets this:

FLORIDA
    Trump 50
    Biden 49.3

PENN
    Trump 50.1
    Biden 50.7-51.2

MICHIGAN
    Trump 48.4
    Biden 52.1-52.6

3 state comparison of 538's projected vote share 2016 v. 2020 only taking Trump vote

Pennsylvania:

Florida:

2020 48.4

Michigan:

2020 45.4

With Clinton:
    Penn

Florida

Michigan

IF that holds true for this cycle you could add roughly 3 points to Trump in midwest states and subtract 1 to 1.5 from Biden

Doing that gets this:

FLORIDA
    Trump 50
    Biden 49.3

PENN
    Trump 50.1
    Biden 50.7-51.2

MICHIGAN
    Trump 48.4
    Biden 52.1-52.6

this election will have record turn out. Including "no party" independents and gen z voters. So while it may be 1% - 1% this year will equal 150,000 votes instead of 100,000.

To me these polls don't really convince me of much, BECAUSE that assumes things go "normally" (or fairly). There will be nothing normal about this election. I think there will be a lot of shenanigans, the courts involved, a lot of unexpected things that polls don't take into account. You've already seen republicans trying to get votes thrown out, the USPS shirtshow, all kinds of stuff

To me these polls don't really convince me of much, BECAUSE that assumes things go "normally" (or fairly). There will be nothing normal about this election. I think there will be a lot of shenanigans, the courts involved, a lot of unexpected things that polls don't take into account. You've already seen republicans trying to get votes thrown out, the USPS shirtshow, all kinds of stuff
    This is where an upset in a state that hasn’t been messed with by Trump is key. Election night winner announced from GA, IA or TX all but end any shenanigans that occur in PA.

Pennsylvania:

Florida:

2020 48.4

Michigan:

2020 45.4

With Clinton:
    Penn

Florida

Michigan

Doing that gets this:

FLORIDA
    Trump 50
    Biden 49.3

PENN
    Trump 50.1
    Biden 50.7-51.2

MICHIGAN
    Trump 48.4
    Biden 52.1-52.6

That difference was the Trump voter that was to embarrassed to say they were a Trump voter in 2016.

Do you think he lost some of them or gained anymore people entirely to embarrassed to poll as a Trump voter.

My bet is they were lost not long into the term.

To put 538's overall forecast in perspective, if Trump wins Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina -- which I could easily see happening -- then the race is basically 50/50. In that way, I think the 90/10 forecast is a bit of a paper tiger. (Of course, if Biden wins one of those then his odds go up to 99%).

I think a lot of the undecideds or no voters or third party voters from 2016 will be especially crucial

as for Quinnipiac, they have been bullish on Biden

I would not put a ton of hope/stock in those gaps

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom