Election Electoral College predictions (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard

Staff member
    Reaction score
    To get our minds off of the virus, debates and campaign theatrics for a moment, I thought it might be an interesting exercise to post our predictions of the final Electoral College margin. Of course, any prediction made would be a moment-in-time snapshot of what we think will happen given the current circumstances. Any number of factors could influence the vote over the final month of the campaign.

There are sites that can help you arrive at your prediction. Real Clear Politics and 538 have polling data that can help you come up with a number. I use RCP mostly because they have a good interactive national map that's easy to use and they don't include polls conducted by companies like SurveyMonkey. They do, however include partisan polling, like Trafalgar and Change Research.

My prediction started with looking at a best case scenario for a Trump reelection. I started by putting all of the states shown to lean in one direction in that camp. RCP shows states like Indiana and Missouri leaning Trump and Oregon and Virginia leaning Biden when those states and others like them are certainly going to end up in those columns. That leaves 11 "battleground" states (and two one-vote congressional districts) that theoretically could go either way and gives a picture of a 226-125 Biden lead before assigning a winner in those states. In looking at Trump's best case scenario, I gave him every state in which he is marginally ahead and those he is behind by less less than five points, as well as the two congressional districts. That would provide Biden with a slim 278-260 win. To come out with a better scenario for Trump, you would need to assign one or more of Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin or New Hampshire to Trump and he is trailing in all of those states by more than five points.

However, I don't believe that Trump will achieve his best case numbers and Biden could win several more states, like Arizona, Ohio, Florida, Iowa, North Carolina, Georgia and Texas. I still think Trump will likely keep Texas, Iowa and Georgia, so my prediction as of today is 353-185 in favor of Biden.

If you choose to participate in this exercise, you are welcome to give different predictions over the course of the next month. I intend to post a final prediction on Nov. 2/3 and may even post a weekly prediction, depending on the level of participation.

Last edited:
    Just going by RCP averages (which isn;t the best, but it is quicker than going through each poll and comparing them to previous polls by same outlet):

Pennsylvania: Biden was +7.3 and sitting at 51.1 on October 12. Now he is +3.7 and sitting at 48.7

North Carolina: Biden was up 3.2 and sitting at 49.3 on October 12. Now he is +2.3 at 48.8

Florida: Biden was up 3.7 and at 48.8 on October 13. Now he is +1.6 at 48.6

Arizona: Biden was up 4 and at 49.2 on October 16. Now he is +2.8 at 49.1

Having pointed those out, just a quick glance at 538, the "change" is less drastic in their model. Perhaps we are just looking at typical poll fluctuation. And/or we are getting some polls that are not graded as high by 538. just one example of what I mean: Suffolk is graded as "A" by 538 and has Biden up 6 at 49% in Pennsylvania.

I think that Biden's high point was after Trump's disastrous debate performance followed by his diagnosis and unhinged behavior. It was during a very bad week for the President.

It made sense things would tighten. It would be odd if they didn't. That's why I say tomorrow is big for Biden (less so for Trump). It took 10 days for the effects of Trump's terrible week to wear off. He looked as crazy as ever in the Town Hall last week. If he looks nuts and gives a few bad sound bites tomorrow the polls will start to widen again and this time two weeks away is election day, so there won't be time for them to really contract again.

I'm sticking with Biden at no more than 290. The potential is there for him to win states like Florida, North Carolina, Iowa and Georgia but I still expect a lot of absentee ballots (which are almost certainly majority Democrat) to be thrown out. With polling errors and/or 'shy' voters, Trump maintains a good chance of winning.

Just going by RCP averages (which isn;t the best, but it is quicker than going through each poll and comparing them to previous polls by same outlet):

Pennsylvania: Biden was +7.3 and sitting at 51.1 on October 12. Now he is +3.7 and sitting at 48.7

North Carolina: Biden was up 3.2 and sitting at 49.3 on October 12. Now he is +2.3 at 48.8

Having pointed those out, just a quick glance at 538, the "change" is less drastic in their model. Perhaps we are just looking at typical poll fluctuation. And/or we are getting some polls that are not graded as high by 538. just one example of what I mean: Suffolk is graded as "A" by 538 and has Biden up 6 at 49% in Pennsylvania.
    Yeah, by their nature, they're taking a cloud of data and assigning a weight to each point, and then doing a best fit, with influence with the past and also accounting for last minute changes.

I think they said as we get more polls closer to the election, it always makes things look noisier.

I'm looking through his tweets. There is one where Nate says the higher quality polls are also finding ways to account for early voting. Since, so many more people are doing this (even though a lot have for years), you have to account for that. Sentiment may change, but if votes are already in, does it matter?

CNN's latest poll of polls has Biden up 10 in Pennsylvania, but has Florida at 50 - 46, advantage Biden, which is within the margin of error.
    We're going to have results for Florida and North Carolina on election night.. Biden winning one or both of those would essentially mean he's won regardless of what else we find out that night.

Nate tweets a lot. Just saw this on RCP. Read the whole chain

If Biden wins Florida, which we will know election night, Trump’s path to victory is essentially gone. He would have to win every battleground and flip states from last time.

Considering Michigan is looking more and more lost, if he loses Florida its over.

And for the record, I think trump loses Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Florida and Ohio.

Last edited:
    Biden up 8 in Pennsylvania.

And....

Tied in Texas. Not that he will win but just seeing a legit polling service having them tied there is crazy.

Quinnipac has had some outliers this election cycle—going both ways. I think it is a little high for Biden on Pennsylvania, and I think Trump is leading in Texas.

With that said, it is a reputable polling group, so it should be thrown into the average.

And for the record, I think trump loses Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Florida and Ohio.
    Ohio, sure. I think that stays Trump country. The others.. not so sure. I wonder if Wisconsin's current Covid Surge will play into either party.

But he has a pretty sizeable lead in Penn and Wisconsin.

If Biden wins Florida, which we will know election night, Trump’s path to victory is essentially gone. He would have to win every battleground and flip states from last time.

Considering Michigan is looking more and more lost, if he loses Florida its over.
    If Biden wins either Florida or Pennsylvania then it's over. But, as you note, since Florida counts ballots early, we have a better chance of knowing who won Florida on election night. Pennsylvania ballots could take longer. If Biden happens to win Georgia or North Carolina (which I don't expect but they count before the election) then it's also basically over.

Here's a good article (with chart) on what states count ballots early.

One more:

Definitely encouraging

If Trump were to win all the greyed out states, and Biden wins all the ones they're predicting, the votes would be 279-259. I think if its that close, we're going to see a long drawn out legal battle. Especially if somewhere like Pennsylvania turns out to be really close. The best hope for a "smooth" transition/remain would be like a 40+ margin in my opinion.

Part of me thinks Trump will sue, regardless. Objectively, though, it's not so much the margin of the EC victory as it is the margin in the relevant states. If Biden wins Pennsylvania, Michigan, etc. by five or more percent, then demands for a recount or other legal action will fall flat.

Also keep in mind, even with challenges, Trump has to actually be proclaimed the winner by January 20th or else Nancy Pelosi will become acting President.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom