Election Electoral College predictions (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard

Staff member
    Reaction score
    To get our minds off of the virus, debates and campaign theatrics for a moment, I thought it might be an interesting exercise to post our predictions of the final Electoral College margin. Of course, any prediction made would be a moment-in-time snapshot of what we think will happen given the current circumstances. Any number of factors could influence the vote over the final month of the campaign.

There are sites that can help you arrive at your prediction. Real Clear Politics and 538 have polling data that can help you come up with a number. I use RCP mostly because they have a good interactive national map that's easy to use and they don't include polls conducted by companies like SurveyMonkey. They do, however include partisan polling, like Trafalgar and Change Research.

My prediction started with looking at a best case scenario for a Trump reelection. I started by putting all of the states shown to lean in one direction in that camp. RCP shows states like Indiana and Missouri leaning Trump and Oregon and Virginia leaning Biden when those states and others like them are certainly going to end up in those columns. That leaves 11 "battleground" states (and two one-vote congressional districts) that theoretically could go either way and gives a picture of a 226-125 Biden lead before assigning a winner in those states. In looking at Trump's best case scenario, I gave him every state in which he is marginally ahead and those he is behind by less less than five points, as well as the two congressional districts. That would provide Biden with a slim 278-260 win. To come out with a better scenario for Trump, you would need to assign one or more of Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin or New Hampshire to Trump and he is trailing in all of those states by more than five points.

However, I don't believe that Trump will achieve his best case numbers and Biden could win several more states, like Arizona, Ohio, Florida, Iowa, North Carolina, Georgia and Texas. I still think Trump will likely keep Texas, Iowa and Georgia, so my prediction as of today is 353-185 in favor of Biden.

If you choose to participate in this exercise, you are welcome to give different predictions over the course of the next month. I intend to post a final prediction on Nov. 2/3 and may even post a weekly prediction, depending on the level of participation.

Last edited:
    Honestly, no one wants to do a poll. When was the last time you answered a phone call from a number you don’t know? I never do. For young people (20s), they never even use the phone part of their “cell phone.”

I agree on the turnout, but I believe that Trump has done nothing to grow his base. They are enthusiastic, but their numbers haven’t grown. The Republicans now depend on depressed turnout numbers to win elections. I just don’t see that happening this year.

I agree. I'm not sure where he would find new support. It would seem to me the number of independents/undecideds are smaller this time around.

1603161373711.png

1603161406150.png

1603161580740.png

Trump's path to victory is so narrow, and I still think he is toast.
    BUT - it does seem like things are at least going in the right direction for him in the states he has to win with the possible exception of Iowa. He seems to be improving in Florida, North Carolina, Arizona, and, most importantly, Pennsylvania.

There was going to be a tightening no matter what. So not sure if this is just that or perhaps the Hunter Biden thing is working? Not sure of any other reason, maybe just his rallies?

Trump's path to victory is so narrow, and I still think he is toast.
    BUT - it does seem like things are at least going in the right direction for him in the states he has to win with the possible exception of Iowa. He seems to be improving in Florida, North Carolina, Arizona, and, most importantly, Pennsylvania.

There was going to be a tightening no matter what. So not sure if this is just that or perhaps the Hunter Biden thing is working? Not sure of any other reason, maybe just his rallies?

Pennsylvania is the biggest one, and it has tightened to the point it is close to the margin of error. In the last 10 days it has tightened by more than 2 pts in the RCP average.

I'd still rather be in Biden's shoes than Trump's, but this thing is getting tight really fast.

Trump doesn’t have nearly the money as Biden but at this point I don’t think that’s a big deal. They are being precise in where they are spending. And PA is featuring prominently. And his stop last night in Erie, too. A lot of folks are talking about how Biden isn’t cMpaigning anymore.

Trump doesn’t have nearly the money as Biden but at this point I don’t think that’s a big deal. They are being precise in where they are spending. And PA is featuring prominently. And his stop last night in Erie, too. A lot of folks are talking about how Biden isn’t cMpaigning anymore.
    Yeah, part of being "unconventional" like Trump is that money is far less important to him. He was outspent over 2 to 1 in 2016.
    But I don't get the impression he is getting as much free coverage as he did in 2016.

Yeah, part of being "unconventional" like Trump is that money is far less important to him. He was outspent over 2 to 1 in 2016.
    But I don't get the impression he is getting as much free coverage as he did in 2016.

Make no mistake Jim, money is his barometer. Its uniquely important to him. When its not, is only when he has none.

He is akin to a gambler. They will proudly tell you all their winnings. Boastfully.

You never ever hear them boast about losses.

This bothers him. Same reason he has put a total of only $8,000 ( reportedly ) of his own $$$$ toward 2020.

I've often wondered what the real effect of money, and particularly television advertisements, is in Presidential elections. For local elections I imagine they make a significant difference because most people aren't even going to be aware of who the candidates are for a given state/city/parish election. For the presidency? No so much. I've never been swayed by campaign advertising in national elections.

I agree. He actually brags about being out spent.

He uses his rallies to get free targetted local coverage, and a lot of it. It's why he does as many as 12 of those rallies a week.

He's making up for that by getting free (tax payer) travel. He has no intention of his campaign paying back the people for his campaign travel expenses.

He's making up for that by getting free (tax payer) travel. He has no intention of his campaign paying back the people for his campaign travel expenses.
    I wonder how this works. Would the IS government have to sue him? He only has to pay what equivalent costs would be if he was paying for travel on his own. I’m sure his accountants will say he would have flown commercial :)

Two points is within the sampling error. If you look at the 6 month average in Pennsylvania it has remained incredibly static. Biden’s has hovered around 49% and Trump about 45%

And then there is this. People who have never opted before are voting. A lot. 7.6 million so far.

And they aren’t voting for Biden necessarily. They are voting against Trump specifically - Biden just happens to be the beneficiary. It’s Reuter’s so it is legit.

Latest on Trafalgar group for Michigan has Trump up 0.6% vs Biden with a 7-8% lead like most other polls.

They show Wisconsin as Biden with +1.3.

Penn shows Biden with +2.3.

Even the heavily republican skewed isn't looking great for Trump.

Their AZ poll is very different. They show Trump +4 in AZ, while five thirty eight's macro look has Biden up almost +4.

Latest on Trafalgar group for Michigan has Trump up 0.6% vs Biden with a 7-8% lead like most other polls.

They show Wisconsin as Biden with +1.3.

Penn shows Biden with +2.3.

Even the heavily republican skewed isn't looking great for Trump.
    Just going by RCP averages (which isn;t the best, but it is quicker than going through each poll and comparing them to previous polls by same outlet):

Pennsylvania: Biden was +7.3 and sitting at 51.1 on October 12. Now he is +3.7 and sitting at 48.7

North Carolina: Biden was up 3.2 and sitting at 49.3 on October 12. Now he is +2.3 at 48.8

Florida: Biden was up 3.7 and at 48.8 on October 13. Now he is +1.6 at 48.6

Arizona: Biden was up 4 and at 49.2 on October 16. Now he is +2.8 at 49.1

Having pointed those out, just a quick glance at 538, the "change" is less drastic in their model. Perhaps we are just looking at typical poll fluctuation. And/or we are getting some polls that are not graded as high by 538. just one example of what I mean: Suffolk is graded as "A" by 538 and has Biden up 6 at 49% in Pennsylvania.

Also, just to add - Wisconsin seems to be fairly stable: Biden has been up by 6 points or more since early September. Michigan seems basically lost for Trump, and his position is getting worse.

I might be more negative than anyone else lol. I feel like if Biden isn't more than 5pts ahead, then it could go either way. Anything less than 5, I feel like could still be in Trump's favor or too close to call. Under normal circumstances I would not think this, but you have republican states actively trying to deter and suppress votes, Trump calling for poll monitors (basically voter intimidation), Russian interference that is going to play a part. Then I am pretty sure Trump and his lawyers will be suing if they do lose. Its' going to be a shirt show.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom