Does Trump ever do any jail time? (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Everything I've seen and heard says that the split second Donald Trump is no longer president there will be flood of charges waiting for him

And if he resigns and Pence pardons him there are a ton of state charges as an understudy waiting in the wings if the fed charges can't perform

What do you think the likelihood of there being a jail sentence?

In every movie and TV show I've ever seen, in every political thriller I've ever read about a criminal and corrupt president there is ALWAYS some version of;

"We can't do that to the country",

"A trial would tear the country apart",

"For the nation to heal we need to move on" etc.

Would life imitate art?

Even with the charges, even with the proof the charges are true will the powers that be decide, "we can't do that to the country"?

Last edited:
    Actually, a crime committed by a President is still a crime, and he's subject to the court's jurisdiction once he's a private citizen. His attorneys won't have a leg to stand on since he's not a sitting President. It's already been made clear that since he couldn't be held accountable with impeachment, he's still subject to other criminal and civil penalties as a private citizen.

Just go ahead and file criminal charges and worst comes to worst, SCOTUS can rule on the validity of charging a former President for crimes committed during his term. I would simply argue that impeachment is a political process and does not preclude a President from facing criminal charges whether during or after his term.

He's not gonna be able to run for President from a jail cell.
    I agree with everything you said except the part about running for president from jail. I don't think there is anything that forbids him from running for president while he is still in jail, but that would be hilarious, yet probably sad that he would still win the Republican nomination!

Last edited:
    I agree with everything you said about the part about running for president from jail. I don't think there is anything that forbids him from running for president while he is still in jail, but that would be hilarious, yet probably sad that he would still win the Republican nomination!

If they charge him with felony insurrection, among other things and is convicted, I don't think he'd be eligible to run. I'm not 100% sure though.

If they charge him with felony insurrection, among other things and is convicted, I don't think he'd be eligible to run. I'm not 100% sure though.
    Felonies are not forbidden in the constitution, but it would be worth adding that as a criteria.

U.S. Constitutional Requirements for Presidential Candidates
    The president must:

• Be a natural-born citizen of the United States
    • Be at least 35 years old
    • Have been a resident of the United States for 14 years

I was thinking that Trump will probably never be convicted criminally, because SCOTUS ruled that criminal convictions require a unanimous decision. There is no way that a jury will not have at least one Trumper on it that won't listen to reason.

He should be vulnerable to civil lawsuits, but he won't go to jail. I wonder if Democrats would try again after 2022 if they win more Senate seats?

Well, in Optimus Prime's opening post, he envisaged a 'flood' of lawsuits within nanoseconds of Trump ceasing to be president.

It's been.. what... 27 days now ?

Here's one...

And that link is your response ? Really ?

Do you ACTUALLY want me to go through it line-by-line highlighting the editorialising ? Because I can if you want it.
    Well, in Optimus Prime's opening post, he envisaged a 'flood' of lawsuits within nanoseconds of Trump ceasing to be president.

It's been.. what... 27 days now ?

I'd refer you to my previous answer to you on this question, but I suppose that would futile since you obviously didn't read it.

Once again you insinuate obliquely rather than plainly stating your opinion. Are saying that 27 days is a long time? That it indicates charges will not be filed? That no grounds for inditement exist?

Court action is preceded by this little thing called an investigation, and a slew of those are going on. It takes time to build a case; the Mueller investigation moved at light speed in comparison to the norm. It has been only three months since we knew that Trump would not continue as President and only several days since he was acquitted for the second time. Information, such as tax records, is still being released slowly to investigators.

Here is a list of Trump's current legal problems. Don't know whether it is complete, but it does indicate that civil suits that were stalled during his administration are getting back on track.

And this one popped up today. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/law...i-conspiring-incite-capitol/story?id=75921776

Here's one...

Yup.

However, one can't but help think that the entire purpose of these lawsuits is NOT to go to court, but to purely announce the lawsuit to the media, and get TV/Press coverage. I anticipate that this 'lawsuit' will quietly disappear, as have so many over the last 4-5 years.

Saturday afternoon it was reported that two huge republican donors said they wouldn't be giving any more contributions to any senators who didn't vote to convict Trump. We'll see if they put their money where their mouth is but I think that may have had a lot to do with motivating McConnell's speech, even though McConnell and countless republicans were saying that Trump was 100% guilty for 1/6 right after it happened.

Hey Media- STOP COVERING TRUMP... Just forking stop.

Woke up this morning, turned on one cable news channel, something about Trump’s feud with McConnell.. immediately turn to another cable news channel, something else about Trump.. If and unless he runs for President in 2024, or gets sentenced to prison, i dont wanna forking hear about him.. We have an apocalyptic winter event going on in several states that arent equipped to deal with it, and we have a new POTUS trying to get shirt done... Just relegate Trump’s arse to the dustbin of history already.. I cant even imagine that he’s good for ratings anymore(??). I’m actually starting to think that the MAGA crowd has a point about him living rent-free in the heads of sane people.

Woke up this morning, turned on one cable news channel, something about Trump’s feud with McConnell.. immediately turn to another cable news channel, something else about Trump.. If and unless he runs for President in 2024, or gets sentenced to prison, i dont wanna forking hear about him.. We have an apocalyptic winter event going on in several states that arent equipped to deal with it, and we have a new POTUS trying to get shirt done... Just relegate Trump’s arse to the dustbin of history already.. I cant even imagine that he’s good for ratings anymore(??). I’m actually starting to think that the MAGA crowd has a point about him living rent-free in the heads of sane people.
    Well it is relevant to cover the civil war within the Republican Party. I hope it leads to a breakaway party that marginalizes Trumpers. I have no problem with the coverage. It has decreased dramatically. He is still a huge problem that can’t be ignored. He is a cancer on our society that has to be dealt with. Continuing to highlight his ridiculous actions is probably better. It also fuels the legal actions against him.

Trump's a cow. He'll be milked for clicks until he stops producing.

Saturday afternoon it was reported that two huge republican donors said they wouldn't be giving any more contributions to any senators who didn't vote to convict Trump. We'll see if they put their money where their mouth is but I think that may have had a lot to do with motivating McConnell's speech, even though McConnell and countless republicans were saying that Trump was 100% guilty for 1/6 right after it happened.
    The money that fuels the Republican Party comes from the wealthy. If they take their money to a new party, it would destroy the Republican Party.

The money that fuels the Republican Party comes from the wealthy. If they take their money to a new party, it would destroy the Republican Party.
    I really hope Trump is planning on starting his very own Trump America Party so he can take his 35% approval rating with him and let the GOP rebuild itself with actual conservatives.

I really hope Trump is planning on starting his very own Trump America Party so he can take his 35% approval rating with him and let the GOP rebuild itself with actual conservatives.

Yes please. Hell, let them take the Republican party and rename it the Trump party. The actual conservatives can build their own party. I wouldn't mind just starting clean slate, no Trump, no GOP, just conservatives.

Yup.

However, one can't but help think that the entire purpose of these lawsuits is NOT to go to court, but to purely announce the lawsuit to the media, and get TV/Press coverage. I anticipate that this 'lawsuit' will quietly disappear, as have so many over the last 4-5 years.

And how many is that, exactly? So many? Name 12. Name 5. Name 3? I can think of one lawsuit that failed in court, but I wouldn't say it quietly disappeared, and that is the emoluments suit dismissed by the Supreme Court earlier this year.

I'd refer you to my previous answer to you on this question, but I suppose that would futile since you obviously didn't read it.

Once again you insinuate obliquely rather than plainly stating your opinion. Are saying that 27 days is a long time? That it indicates charges will not be filed? That no grounds for inditement exist?

Court action is preceded by this little thing called an investigation, and a slew of those are going on. It takes time to build a case; the Mueller investigation moved at light speed in comparison to the norm. It has been only three months since we knew that Trump would not continue as President and only several days since he was acquitted for the second time. Information, such as tax records, is still being released slowly to investigators.

Here is a list of Trump's current legal problems. Don't know whether it is complete, but it does indicate that civil suits that were stalled during his administration are getting back on track.

And this one popped up today. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/law...i-conspiring-incite-capitol/story?id=75921776
    Yggdrawill, some of these alledged lawsuites go back 4 years. That seems long enough for an investigation, to me. You'd think that at least SOME of these suites would be ready to go by now ? Unless, of course, they where never serious in the first place, and only existed for a brief moment of Trump-bashing ? In the case - for example - of the Manhatten DA's tax investigation (also a Democrat), this is against the Trump Organisation, and hence is not impeded by Trump being the president. It's been going on since 2019, with no obvious signs of progress ?

As for the lastest one: I note that this is ALSO by a Democrat ? Lets see what happens to it, shall we ?

And how many is that, exactly? So many? Name 12. Name 5. Name 3? I can think of one lawsuit that failed in court, but I wouldn't say it quietly disappeared, and that is the emoluments suit dismissed by the Supreme Court earlier this year.
    Blimey.. now your asking. I seem to recall at least one per month from 2016 onwards; it seemed there was always some jerk standing on the proverbial courthouse steps and bloviating to the camera about his lawsuite. Trying to find them NOW, especially as most of them don't seem to have been pursued, is difficult.

Don't you remember this yourself ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom