Does Trump ever do any jail time? (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Everything I've seen and heard says that the split second Donald Trump is no longer president there will be flood of charges waiting for him

And if he resigns and Pence pardons him there are a ton of state charges as an understudy waiting in the wings if the fed charges can't perform

What do you think the likelihood of there being a jail sentence?

In every movie and TV show I've ever seen, in every political thriller I've ever read about a criminal and corrupt president there is ALWAYS some version of;

"We can't do that to the country",

"A trial would tear the country apart",

"For the nation to heal we need to move on" etc.

Would life imitate art?

Even with the charges, even with the proof the charges are true will the powers that be decide, "we can't do that to the country"?

Last edited:
    The more I'm watching the level of demagoguery post-election by him and his enablers my attitude is changing. Getting away with it all is what has led us to this point. They really believe there are no consequences for anything they say or do.

I'm starting to believe it's important for the future of our democracy to make it clear none of this is OK. The next demagogue with millions of cult followers may not be a complete moron. If we don't ensure there are consequences for blatant corruption, abuse of power, and obstruction of justice we are telling the next one that it's all OK.

Same here, I'm of the opinion now that it is of utmost importance to prevent this kind of corruption and threat to our democracy ever happening again. Trump shouldn't just be prosecuted, he should be made an example of someone who willfully acts in a traitorous fashion whilst holding the highest office...this is so far beyond the pale now....

I think it’s unclear if a president can self pardon and even if he could it wouldn’t affect any state charges

Also don’t there have to be specific charges before there can be a pardon?

“I pardon myself for anything illegal I may have done” seems odd

Thank you, I had forgotten the limitation to federal law. So there's hope yet in the Southern District.

Pardoning oneself may seem odd to a normal person but not to Trump. That is right up his alley. I think he will almost certainly issue a slew of pardons before leaving office, including for his family (J&I).

I think it’s unclear if a president can self pardon and even if he could it wouldn’t affect any state charges

Also don’t there have to be specific charges before there can be a pardon?

“I pardon myself for anything illegal I may have done” seems odd

He will pardon himself. Or attempt to.

I would not be surprised if he resigns and lets Pence pardon him.

I think *ALL* of this election nonsense is prelude to that exact thing. All of it. We look at it as another example of Trump 'losing' the election or a state. Trump looks at it as another opportunity to keep "Trump is a victim of the corrupt DC machine and media and Deep State" in the news. Keep himself framed as victim.

Then, when he takes the preposterous, extreme step of pardoning himself, it will seem reasonable because all he has to do is say something to the effect of:

"I am pardoning myself because I have to. The media and liberals have been hounding me for years, making things up. Russiagate. Impeachment hoax. And it's all been false. Who knows what they are going to make up next, even when I am out of office? They will make up crimes to continue to harass me and so I have to take the very necessary step of pardoning myself of any and all crimes, without naming any. Because who knows what they will come up with? Everyone knows that they will create something and this is my only defense, as an innocent man being targeted by the deep state swamp."

This dude made it to the PRESIDENCY by being so self-interested. It's second nature to him. Self-preservation > *.

I don't think he does a second of jail time.

I think *ALL* of this election nonsense is prelude to that exact thing. All of it. We look at it as another example of Trump 'losing' the election or a state. Trump looks at it as another opportunity to keep "Trump is a victim of the corrupt DC machine and media and Deep State" in the news. Keep himself framed as victim.

Then, when he takes the preposterous, extreme step of pardoning himself, it will seem reasonable because all he has to do is say something to the effect of:

"I am pardoning myself because I have to. The media and liberals have been hounding me for years, making things up. Russiagate. Impeachment hoax. And it's all been false. Who knows what they are going to make up next, even when I am out of office? They will make up crimes to continue to harass me and so I have to take the very necessary step of pardoning myself of any and all crimes, without naming any. Because who knows what they will come up with? Everyone knows that they will create something and this is my only defense, as an innocent man being targeted by the deep state swamp."

This dude made it to the PRESIDENCY by being so self-interested. It's second nature to him. Self-preservation > *.

Here is every logical American in regards to Trump pardoning himself/being pardoned whatsoever.

I agree with the sentiment, but, I don't think he will pardon himself if he thinks it's an admission of guilt. But...apparently, as pointed out earlier, a pardon isn't a tacit admission of guilt, so I think it will hinge on what his legal team advises.

Also, I really don't think he'll go the Pence pardon route. First, he's not giving up his position for even a minute until Biden takes office. Second, the validity of a Pence pardon of Trump is shaky at best, and even if it did hold up, Trump is still exposed to state and local laws. A pardon won't stop that from happening.

All that said, the sooner he's out, the sooner we can stop talking about Trump. Jan 20 can't get here soon enough.

on what his legal team advises.
    Hinges on Giuliani and Ellis's recommendation? (Oh how I wish the kraken were still on the team...) If it's up to those two he'll pardon everyone in his family but himself. That would tie in perfectly with what appears to be their strategy of STOP THE STEAL.

Hinges on Giuliani and Ellis's recommendation? (Oh how I wish the kraken were still on the team...) If it's up to those two he'll pardon everyone in his family but himself. That would tie in perfectly with what appears to be their strategy of STOP THE STEAL.

Trump doesn't seek their advice for real legal stuff. The election challenges are a dog and pony show, pure theater for his base. He's got real lawyers he consults for consequential stuff like himself getting pardoned and what not. I mean, why do you think he hasn't paid Rudy a penny yet? Rudy is getting screwed by everyone...including his boss. Smh.

For what it’s worth
    ===============
    President Donald Trump’s niece says her uncle is “criminal, cruel and traitorous” and belongs in prison after he leaves the White House.

Mary Trump, a psychologist, author and outspoken critic of her estranged relative, rejects the notion that putting a former president on trial would deepen the nation’s political divisions.

“It’s quite frankly insulting to be told time after time that the American people can handle it and that we just need to move on,” Mary Trump told The Associated Press in an interview this week.

“If anybody deserves to be prosecuted and tried, it’s Donald,” she added. “(Otherwise) we just leave ourselves open to somebody who, believe it or not, is even worse than he is.”.............

I know Keith Olbermann is pretty blatantly partisan, but he suggests that Trump is committing crimes while conspiring to overturn the election.

He has been asking state legislators, governors, so forth to commit election fraud pretty much on the regular for a couple of weeks now. Everybody is just acting like this is normal, but it is not. I don’t know if soliciting election fraud is a crime, but it’s not normal.

For what it’s worth
    ===============
    President Donald Trump’s niece says her uncle is “criminal, cruel and traitorous” and belongs in prison after he leaves the White House.

Mary Trump, a psychologist, author and outspoken critic of her estranged relative, rejects the notion that putting a former president on trial would deepen the nation’s political divisions.

“It’s quite frankly insulting to be told time after time that the American people can handle it and that we just need to move on,” Mary Trump told The Associated Press in an interview this week.

“If anybody deserves to be prosecuted and tried, it’s Donald,” she added. “(Otherwise) we just leave ourselves open to somebody who, believe it or not, is even worse than he is.”.............

I shudder at the thought that we could do worse than Trump. :eek:

I think there is a good chance that he’ll spend some jail time for at least state crimes. Whether he spends time for federal crimes, including sedition, depends on whether the inevitable self-pardon, is withheld by the courts. The way he has turned in Pence May leave Trump no option but self-pardon. The notion that he can resign in the 19th and then get pardoned by Pence is now less likely.

While I am not a huge fan of Pence, I really doubt he would pardon Trump. He seems way to honorable for that

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom