Does Trump ever do any jail time? (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Everything I've seen and heard says that the split second Donald Trump is no longer president there will be flood of charges waiting for him

And if he resigns and Pence pardons him there are a ton of state charges as an understudy waiting in the wings if the fed charges can't perform

What do you think the likelihood of there being a jail sentence?

In every movie and TV show I've ever seen, in every political thriller I've ever read about a criminal and corrupt president there is ALWAYS some version of;

"We can't do that to the country",

"A trial would tear the country apart",

"For the nation to heal we need to move on" etc.

Would life imitate art?

Even with the charges, even with the proof the charges are true will the powers that be decide, "we can't do that to the country"?

Last edited:
    It would be hilarious, and oh so appropriate, if that recording were to be a key piece of evidence that helps convict Trump, and it WAS a case where he was lying about what he was holding to try and embarrass someone else.

I don't believe Trump will do jail time but he may very well be found guilty of some things. And quite frankly I believe he deserves to be found guilty.

I don't believe Trump will do jail time but he may very well be found guilty of some things. And quite frankly I believe he deserves to be found guilty.
    I would love to know what shapes your disbelief in Trump not doing jail time. Trump not doing jail time for the crimes that he has committed would ensure the end of any belief in our justice system as being blind and citizens being equal under the law. The way he has been treated has already done considerable harm to belief in the justice system.

He's already been charged with 34 counts of fraud. He may be charged with espionage. There are currently 2 people who have been charged and found guilty of the same crime for which he will be charged and they both got significant jail time. If he is convicted, as he rightfully should be, he will go to jail.

At this point, I feel like the chances of him being found not guilty thanks to a MAGA juror are higher than him being convicted of multiple crimes and not doing ANY jail time.

I just feel like jail time is a pipe dream. we want it to happen, but I just feel like it won't. I have no legal expertise in the matter, it's just a feeling..

I would love to know what shapes your disbelief in Trump not doing jail time. Trump not doing jail time for the crimes that he has committed would ensure the end of any belief in our justice system as being blind and citizens being equal under the law. The way he has been treated has already done considerable harm to belief in the justice system.

He's already been charged with 34 counts of fraud. He may be charged with espionage. There are currently 2 people who have been charged and found guilty of the same crime for which he will be charged and they both got significant jail time. If he is convicted, as he rightfully should be, he will go to jail.

At this point, I feel like the chances of him being found not guilty thanks to a MAGA juror are higher than him being convicted of multiple crimes and not doing ANY jail time.
    I mentioned earlier in the thread former Presidents have 24/7 Secret Service protection for life. The question is how would
    that affect Trump if he does receive jail time? Imo, I believe he would serve his time under house arrest.

I mentioned earlier in the thread former Presidents have 24/7 Secret Service protection for life. The question is how would
    that affect Trump if he does receive jail time? Imo, I believe he would serve his time under house arrest.
    I understand that but there should be something that disqualifies a former president from receiving a government funded service after being convicted of a federal crime. What happens if a former president is convicted of murder? Does he/she get shielded from the death penalty simply because they have secret service protection?

IMO, conviction of a federal crime, especially of a crime that prevents one from ever serving in public office again, should mean the end of government provided security. If Trump is convicted of the crimes he will be charged with and allowed to serve his time under house arrest, it will be the biggest slap in the face to the idea that former presidents are ordinary citizens. Essentially, it would signal that former presidents are indeed above the law.

I understand that but there should be something that disqualifies a former president from receiving a government funded service after being convicted of a federal crime. What happens if a former president is convicted of murder? Does he/she get shielded from the death penalty simply because they have secret service protection?

IMO, conviction of a federal crime, especially of a crime that prevents one from ever serving in public office again, should mean the end of government provided security. If Trump is convicted of the crimes he will be charged with and allowed to serve his time under house arrest, it will be the biggest slap in the face to the idea that former presidents are ordinary citizens. Essentially, it would signal that former presidents are indeed above the law.
    I agree with you 100%. However SS protection for life was made law by congress in 1965. It would literally take
    another act of congress to repeal or make exceptions to it.

I agree with you 100%. However SS protection for life was made law by congress in 1965. It would literally take
    another act of congress to repeal or make exceptions to it.
    Then I would have no problem for teams of SS agents to be stationed outside of his jail cell.

Thanks Obama.

Correct. Just read that if he were to be sentenced to prison, the Secrest Service would be required to protect him. And per prior SS agent, that would present a host of problems.

So I tend to agree, either house arrest.

or if prison, an amendment to the law to discontinue SS protection for a President serving time.

Correct. Just read that if he were to be sentenced to prison, the Secrest Service would be required to protect him. And per prior SS agent, that would present a host of problems.

So I tend to agree, either house arrest.

or if prison, an amendment to the law to discontinue SS protection for a President serving time.
    Yeah, the biggest problem would be SS agents would be armed on duty. Firearms are not allowed on prison floors
    for obvious reasons.

I'll add that it should be amended to discontinue SS protection for anyone who receives SS protection if they are convicted of a federal crime. Of course, no one foresaw the need to add any clause like that because no on in the history of SS protection has ever been indicted of a federal crime let alone convicted of one.

When CNN reported on Wednesday night that special counsel Jack Smith has a recording of former president Donald Trump boasting at his Bedminster, N.J., club in 2021 that he had a highly classified multipage document relating to war plans against Iran, months of punditry that Trump would never be indicted went out the window. (The reported sounds of paper rustling suggests Trump might have had a document in hand.)

According to news reports, he shared the substance of the document with others in the room, including biographers with no security clearance.

This evidence effectively destroys whatever defense Trump was trying to concoct (he didn’t know there were classified documents, he declassified them, he thought they were not classified).

Trump holds the presumption of innocence and has not been indicted.

However, the last time such a damning piece of evidence (a “smoking gun”) came to light, Richard M. Nixon’s presidency was effectively over. (He left office less than a week later.)
News reports now indicate the federal grand jury hearing the documents case will meet this week. An indictment, if there is one, could come within days.

Trump’s own words could provide damning evidence of a willful violation of the Espionage Act and of obstruction — and help fix venue in D.C., where the Justice Department almost certainly wants to try the case.

Andrew Weissmann, the former lead prosecutor for special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, summed up the take of many career prosecutors: “I’m trying not to use hyperbole, but this is game over. ... If this story is accurate, there will be an indictment, and it’s hard to see how there will not be a conviction.”

(A complete analysis from nine former prosecutors on the strength of the the special counsel’s case -even before the tape recording was reported - can be found at Just Security.)……

Last edited:
    Does it have to be his house?

Serving house arrest at your multi million dollar estate isn’t much of a punishment

Can’t it be like super deep witness protection?

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, no frills, no comfort creatures, no tv, no internet, no social media, no visitors, no one in or out but secret service

Tons of surveillance

Last edited:
    So where does this 1850 boxes stuff come from? Shouldn’t a good lie have at least a germ of truth? Nobody believes that, do they? Also, yeah, I think he had an uncomfortable conversation with his legal team. 😁

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom