Civil War 2? (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Very sobering article
    ================
    If you know people still in denial about the crisis of American democracy, kindly remove their heads from the sand long enough to receive this message: A startling new finding by one of the nation’s top authorities on foreign civil wars says we are on the cusp of our own.

Barbara F. Walter, a political science professorat the University of California at San Diego, serves on a CIA advisory panel called the Political Instability Task Force that monitors countries around the world and predicts which of them are most at risk of deteriorating into violence.

By law, the task force can’t assess what’s happening within the United States, but Walter, a longtime friend who has spent her career studying conflicts in Syria, Lebanon, Northern Ireland, Sri Lanka, the Philippines, Rwanda, Angola, Nicaragua and elsewhere, applied the predictive techniques herself to this country.

Her bottom line: “We are closer to civil war than any of us would like to believe.” She lays out the argument in detail in her must-read book, “How Civil Wars Start,” out in January. “No one wants to believe that their beloved democracy is in decline, or headed toward war,” she writes.

But, “if you were an analyst in a foreign country looking at events in America — the same way you’d look at events in Ukraine or the Ivory Coast or Venezuela — you would go down a checklist, assessing each of the conditions that make civil war likely.

And what you would find is that the United States, a democracy founded more than two centuries ago, has entered very dangerous territory.”

Indeed, the United States has already gone through what the CIA identifies as the first two phases of insurgency — the “pre-insurgency” and “incipient conflict” phases — and only time will tell whether the final phase, “open insurgency,” began with the sacking of the Capitol by Donald Trump supporters on Jan. 6.

Things deteriorated so dramatically under Trump, in fact, that the United States no longer technically qualifies as a democracy. Citing the Center for Systemic Peace’s “Polity” data set — the one the CIA task force has found to be most helpful in predicting instability and violence — Walter writes that the United States is now an “anocracy,” somewhere between a democracy and an autocratic state.

U.S. democracy had received the Polity index’s top score of 10, or close to it, for much of its history. But in the five years of the Trump era, it tumbled precipitously into the anocracy zone; by the end of his presidency, the U.S. score had fallen to a 5, making the country a partial democracy for the first time since 1800.

“We are no longer the world’s oldest continuous democracy,” Walter writes. “That honor is now held by Switzerland, followed by New Zealand, and then Canada. We are no longer a peer to nations like Canada, Costa Rica, and Japan, which are all rated a +10 on the Polity index.”…….

Others have reached similar findings. The Stockholm-based International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance put the United States on a list of “backsliding democracies” in a report last month.

“The United States, the bastion of global democracy, fell victim to authoritarian tendencies itself," the report said.

And a new survey by the academic consortium Bright Line Watch found that 17 percent of those who identify strongly as Republicans support the use of violence to restore Trump to power, and 39 percent favor doing everything possible to prevent Democrats from governing effectively……

People with moral conviction and values tend to want to fight for what they feel is right.
    People lacking morals such as MAGA also tend to fight. As for their and your feelings? The same response that MAGAs had for Democrats/liberals applies.

The idiocy known as Donald Trump has undermined democracy. Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant. He not only should never be elected again, if his court cases end up in guilty verdicts he should be incarcerated immediately and treated like any other convicted offender.

Last edited:
    Thanks, I forgot who the audience is around here. Less words are better for that group.
    No, competent, logical, rational thought processes as opposed to thinly veiled insults, so-called gotcha verbiage et al works much better but I do not expect that.

No, competent, logical, rational thought processes as opposed to thinly veiled insults, so-called gotcha verbiage et al works much better but I do not expect that.
    I will do better if you do better? Deal?

So do communists and terrorists. What is your point?
    You’re equating MAGA forces as having moral conviction, which besides being inaccurate, the point is people can be completely wrong, have strong feelings, but nothing associated with a traditional moral code, bully, cheat to win, defy laws, deny others the same rights they have, and they just want to selfishly have it their way at the expense of others.

You’re equating MAGA forces as having moral conviction, which besides being inaccurate, the point is people can be completely wrong, have strong feelings, but nothing associated with a traditional moral code, bully, cheat to win, defy laws, deny others the same rights they have, and they just want to selfishly have it their way at the expense of others.
    Like having female only spaces? What about allowing men to dominate female sports? Do those count as moral convictions, because I don't see that from the other side. Do you? What about the murder of babies in the womb? See how we can go round and round? You and the others are on the wrong side of history on all of these. That is why there will be a national divorce with the federal government slowing being ignored.

Like having female only spaces? What about allowing men to dominate female sports? Do those count as moral convictions, because I don't see that from the other side. Do you? What about the murder of babies in the womb? See how we can go round and round? You and the others are on the wrong side of history on all of these. That is why there will be a national divorce with the federal government slowing being ignored.
    Same old sh** over and over again.

You and the others are on the wrong side of history on all of these. That is why there will be a national divorce with the federal government slowing being ignored.
    Thank you for finally revealing your true self and what you are all about. I would say thanks for being honest, but I think you're emotions got the best of you causing you to blurt the silent part out loud.

Either way, I and "the others" see you for who you truly are now. and I thank you for that.

Before you come back with "I see you for who you are," I've never hidden by duplicity or ambiguity. I've always been straight forward and blunt about who I am, so...yeah you and everyone sees me for who I am, because I've never tried to hide who I am.

I choose to dwell in the open light. I don't try to hide in dark shadows.

The mouth breathers are going to have a real hard time if there was a divorce since they live off the Blue States taxes.

Those complaining live in Alabama, Mississippi etc. Basically the bottom at everything that matters. Mississippi is third world being propped up by liberal states. Alabama too.

Alabama takes a whole lot more money from the federal government than they put in.

I wonder if the toothless hicks there understand this.

California and New York dont need southern states - like at all. In fact the southern states are a drain on the great economy the west coast and New England has given it

But it keep biting the hand that feeds it - and builds its roads.

I would love for the west coast to leave factions of the south behind. I am tired of paying racist's bills.

Last edited:
    The mouth breathers are going to have a real hard time if there was a divorce since you live off the Blue States taxes.

Those complaining live in Alabama, Mississippi etc. Basically the bottom at everything that matters. Mississippi is third world being propped up by liberal states. Alabama too.

Alabama takes a whole lot more money from the federal government than they put in.

I wonder if the toothless hicks there understand this.

California and New York dont need southern states - like at all. In fact the southern states are a drain on the great economy the west coast has given you.

But you keep biting the hand that feeds you - and builds your roads.

I would love for the west coast to leave the south behind. I am tired of paying racist's bills.
    speaking of
    ==========
    Texan nationalists are coordinating with secessionist campaigners from five other states, who are also interested in breaking away from the United States, according to one of their leaders.

The claim was made by Daniel Miller, president of the pro-independence Texas Nationalist Movement (TNM), on the latest edition of his Late Night Coffee Talk online show that was broadcast on Facebook on June 19.

The past few months have seen a surge in activity from Texas independence campaigners, coinciding with heightened tensions between local authorities and the Biden administration over issues including illegal immigration and education. The Republican Party of Texas included support for an independence referendum in its 2024 Legislative Priorities and Platform document, which was released in June after this was approved by its convention in San Antonio the previous month. At the convention supporters of an independence referendum were also elected as the party's chair and vice-chair.

On Wednesday Miller was asked whether he supports other groups or states seceding from the U.S., to which he replied: "100 percent, but it's not that I support their seceding, it's that I support their right to have the discussion and have the vote and if that's what they want to do as a people then do so."

Miller went on to claim the TNM has "interface" with independence movements in California, New Hampshire, Alaska, Florida and Louisiana.

He said: "What we do is we work and communicate with independence movements. I mentioned several: Calexit, New Hampshire exit, the people in Florida which is going to be called Flexit I bet, Free Louisiana people, the Alaskan Independence Party."

"Calexit" is supported by the "Yes California" movement, which was initially founded in 2015 to campaign for greater autonomy for the Golden State but later advocated full independence. It's most recent plan calls for a new country called "Pacifica" to be formed "in the San Francisco Bay area and along the central California coast," while the rest of the state would remain in the U.S.

The Alaskan Independence Party was founded in 1984 to campaign for the state to leave the U.S. and become an independent nation.

Some conservatives and libertarians in New Hampshire are also pushing for the state to leave the U.S. Earlier this year Republican state Representative Jason Gerhard introduced legislation that would require New Hampshire to declare independence if the national debt surpasses $40 trillion, around $6 trillion higher than it currently is, though this was not passed into law.

The Florida and Louisiana secessionist movements Miller referenced are apparently much newer and Newsweek could find little information about either online. A YouGov survey published earlier this year found 24 percent of people in Florida, and 23 percent in Louisiana, would support their state leaving the U.S. and becoming a fully independent country.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom