Civil War 2? (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Very sobering article
    ================
    If you know people still in denial about the crisis of American democracy, kindly remove their heads from the sand long enough to receive this message: A startling new finding by one of the nation’s top authorities on foreign civil wars says we are on the cusp of our own.

Barbara F. Walter, a political science professorat the University of California at San Diego, serves on a CIA advisory panel called the Political Instability Task Force that monitors countries around the world and predicts which of them are most at risk of deteriorating into violence.

By law, the task force can’t assess what’s happening within the United States, but Walter, a longtime friend who has spent her career studying conflicts in Syria, Lebanon, Northern Ireland, Sri Lanka, the Philippines, Rwanda, Angola, Nicaragua and elsewhere, applied the predictive techniques herself to this country.

Her bottom line: “We are closer to civil war than any of us would like to believe.” She lays out the argument in detail in her must-read book, “How Civil Wars Start,” out in January. “No one wants to believe that their beloved democracy is in decline, or headed toward war,” she writes.

But, “if you were an analyst in a foreign country looking at events in America — the same way you’d look at events in Ukraine or the Ivory Coast or Venezuela — you would go down a checklist, assessing each of the conditions that make civil war likely.

And what you would find is that the United States, a democracy founded more than two centuries ago, has entered very dangerous territory.”

Indeed, the United States has already gone through what the CIA identifies as the first two phases of insurgency — the “pre-insurgency” and “incipient conflict” phases — and only time will tell whether the final phase, “open insurgency,” began with the sacking of the Capitol by Donald Trump supporters on Jan. 6.

Things deteriorated so dramatically under Trump, in fact, that the United States no longer technically qualifies as a democracy. Citing the Center for Systemic Peace’s “Polity” data set — the one the CIA task force has found to be most helpful in predicting instability and violence — Walter writes that the United States is now an “anocracy,” somewhere between a democracy and an autocratic state.

U.S. democracy had received the Polity index’s top score of 10, or close to it, for much of its history. But in the five years of the Trump era, it tumbled precipitously into the anocracy zone; by the end of his presidency, the U.S. score had fallen to a 5, making the country a partial democracy for the first time since 1800.

“We are no longer the world’s oldest continuous democracy,” Walter writes. “That honor is now held by Switzerland, followed by New Zealand, and then Canada. We are no longer a peer to nations like Canada, Costa Rica, and Japan, which are all rated a +10 on the Polity index.”…….

Others have reached similar findings. The Stockholm-based International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance put the United States on a list of “backsliding democracies” in a report last month.

“The United States, the bastion of global democracy, fell victim to authoritarian tendencies itself," the report said.

And a new survey by the academic consortium Bright Line Watch found that 17 percent of those who identify strongly as Republicans support the use of violence to restore Trump to power, and 39 percent favor doing everything possible to prevent Democrats from governing effectively……

Agreed. Farb is using the type of language you see in the manifestos of mass murderers/shooters. It's disturbing.
    Haha. Can you show me?

Also, to be fair, I having said anything about killing white rich kids or tried to wear a dress, so I know that rules out the Trans shooter's manifesto so I cam curious if you can actually back that up or is it just more emotional dramatics?

For a start, I want the war to end with all involved who have committed war crimes being held accountable to the fullest extent that all applicable laws allow.
    Do you think Israel has committed war crimes?

So, you stand against women’s healthcare. Not surprising as you are a misogynist. Abortions are a very small part of what they do. Of course, white wealthy women likely don’t go to planned parenthood. So, you are a racist as well.

Your streak of failure continues unabated.

I have no use for the Middle East. Never did. The Middle East is political. Jews and Arabs are humans. Look to the governments/power holders if you seek enemies. Nothing will change until Hamas, Hez’bollah, the leadership in Iran and people like Netanyahu are all dead. Add in the weapons dealers including the biggest weapons dealer on the planet.

I would rather imagine what would happen if people who wanted peace actually were able to achieve it.

As for your insipid, stupid question about men having babies? Well, you are an out and out liar. I never said anything of the sort. Take a reading comprehension course. And I hope you run into trans people who treat you well despite your deep-seated hatred.
    Honestly, all of your ilk just use strawmen.

Small part of planned parenthood? LOL, sure.

You never have said it but your are far enough left where I know the answer. You truly don't believe men can have babies but you can't say it. Can you? It is just a test to see if you can even have a truthful debate.

Like their neighbors that were forced to watch their children slaughtered, wives and mother raped before being decapitated over their breakfast table? Not even an ounce of pity.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...his-family-brings-father-to-tears/ar-AA1iMJWG

So you believe it's morally acceptable for Israel to ethnically cleanse Palestinians for their own protections? If not, what limits (if any) should they have? Does it matter if the Palestinians are Christian or Arab?

It is simply mind boggling that in some % of the viewers of this ongoing Israel trainwreck it’s as simple as “Hamas killed Israeli citizens so kill all Hamas.”

I have zero issue with this.

But it is the overt, or blatant calculation that all Palestinians and Gaza are expendable to achieve this goal with minimal fuss for Israel as Gaza is leveled and large groups of Innocent collateral civilians are murdered for convenience. I guess they could not get out of the way fast enough, or had no where they could go. Too bad, so sad. 😔
    Who is keeping those civilians there? Their elected government. Why is Egypt not taking them in? Hamas uses its civilians for human sheilds and are preventing them from leaving. In a perfect world no civilians would be harmed but that is exactly what Hamas wants.

So you believe it's morally acceptable for Israel to ethnically cleanse Palestinians for their own protections? If not, what limits (if any) should they have? Does it matter if the Palestinians are Christian or Arab?
    Stawman.
    Israel is not ethnically cleansing anything. How many jews are or were living in Gaza after 2005? None. Israel didn't building military infrastructure imbedded with civilian infrastructure in order to create human shields, Hamas did. Israel broadcast their invasion and told the civilians to leave. Hamas made them stay. War is not just hang-gliding in and killing unarmed civilians all the time. At some point they will hit back.

Stawman.
    Israel is not ethnically cleansing anything. How many jews are or were living in Gaza after 2005? None. Israel didn't building military infrastructure imbedded with civilian infrastructure in order to create human shields, Hamas did. Israel broadcast their invasion and told the civilians to leave. Hamas made them stay. War is not just hang-gliding in and killing unarmed civilians all the time. At some point they will hit back.

You don't have to call it ethnic cleansing, but the effect of the war that Israel is carrying out is the same. It doesn't matter to you or to Israel how many Palestinian civilians die. You seem to consider all Palestinian civilians either Hamas or Hamas adjacent and deserving of their death.

So if you don't want to call it ethnic cleansing, let's go about it another way. What percentage of Palestinian civilian collateral death is acceptable as Israel aims to wipe out Hamas? 50%, 80%, 100%, whatever it is?

Stawman.
    It's all complicated.. do I think Israel's intention is to ethnically cleanse Gaza? No. Do I believe that Israel has conducted this without a great regard to civilian casualties in Gaza? Probably. Do I believe that Israel under Netanyahu has helped to prop up Hamas at the expense of an increased opportunity at peace and a two-state solution? I believe evidence exists to say that seems to be the case.

Do I believe that Israel has committed war crimes? I'd say I don't know enough to speak in absolutes but I'll go with probably. I certainly support Israel's right to retaliate against the barbaric terrorism committed against it, but in dealing with an enemy known to embed amongst the civilian population and who has a willingness to use them as human shields.. I think the situation may have called for an approach different than the one Israel has taken.

Like their neighbors that were forced to watch their children slaughtered, wives and mother raped before being decapitated over their breakfast table? Not even an ounce of pity.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...his-family-brings-father-to-tears/ar-AA1iMJWG

Not an ounce of pity for people living under a terrorist organization while also potentially being victimized by the government next door that is perpetrating war crimes of their own? That's forking pathetic.

Haha. Can you show me?

Also, to be fair, I having said anything about killing white rich kids or tried to wear a dress, so I know that rules out the Trans shooter's manifesto so I cam curious if you can actually back that up or is it just more emotional dramatics?

Do you really believe that dehumanizing people isn't a tactic used by these butt crevasses to justify murdering them? It's a tale as old as time, Farb.

Honestly, all of your ilk just use strawmen.

Small part of planned parenthood? LOL, sure.

You never have said it but your are far enough left where I know the answer. You truly don't believe men can have babies but you can't say it. Can you? It is just a test to see if you can even have a truthful debate.
    Your insipid and stupid question is not merely trivial, it is pointless. Why pointless? Because it references nothing. It applies to nothing. It relates to nothing. Well, with the possible exception of the minuscule endorphin rush you may get every time you type it.

LOL, sure.

You don't have to call it ethnic cleansing, but the effect of the war that Israel is carrying out is the same. It doesn't matter to you or to Israel how many Palestinian civilians die. You seem to consider all Palestinian civilians either Hamas or Hamas adjacent and deserving of their death.

So if you don't want to call it ethnic cleansing, let's go about it another way. What percentage of Palestinian civilian collateral death is acceptable as Israel aims to wipe out Hamas? 50%, 80%, 100%, whatever it is?
    I shouldn't even respond to your idiotic question on how many civilians I deem as acceptable but I am a sucker for telling the gullible and easy controlled facts, so..

I think the only ones that don't care about Palestinian civilian deaths are the PLA and Hamas. Why can't the civilians evacuate? Israel dropped lord knows how many fliers, made 10s of thousands of phones calls to the civilians to evacuate before air strikes and the ground surge. Know what Hama did, blocked them from leaving. They need the human shield (war crime).
    Pretty cool how they set up their rockets that kill Israel civilians right by children playgrounds

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/worl...-to-children-s-playground-in-gaza/ar-AA1jpNdj

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...weapons-inside-hospitals-mosques-and-schools/

Speaking of war crimes:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/invest...orists-intentionally-targeted-elem-rcna120310

"Documents exclusively obtained by NBC News show that Hamas created detailed plans to target elementary schools and a youth center in the Israeli kibbutz of Kfar Sa'ad, to "kill as many people as possible," seize hostages and quickly move them into the Gaza Strip.

The attack plans, which are labeled "top secret" in Arabic, appear to be orders for two highly trained Hamas units to surround and infiltrate villages and target places where civilians, including children, gather. Israeli authorities are still determining the death toll in Kfar Sa'ad."

Also, since their elected government doesn't care, it now appears Israel has used military force to open an evacuation route for the Palestines to evacuate. Why do you think Israel did this if they really wanted to commit genocide?

You guys really do believe whatever they tell you to believe.

It's all complicated.. do I think Israel's intention is to ethnically cleanse Gaza? No. Do I believe that Israel has conducted this without a great regard to civilian casualties in Gaza? Probably. Do I believe that Israel under Netanyahu has helped to prop up Hamas at the expense of an increased opportunity at peace and a two-state solution? I believe evidence exists to say that seems to be the case.

Do I believe that Israel has committed war crimes? I'd say I don't know enough to speak in absolutes but I'll go with probably. I certainly support Israel's right to retaliate against the barbaric terrorism committed against it, but in dealing with an enemy known to embed amongst the civilian population and who has a willingness to use them as human shields.. I think the situation may have called for an approach different than the one Israel has taken.
    Does Palestaine want a 2 state solutions? From all of their positions, rhetoric and chants, the answer is 'no'.

You do know Israel has not been in Gaza since 2005, right? They do provide water and power to Gaza since Hamas won't build civilian infrastructure, but then again, the people vote for them so they get what they get.

Why do you think Hamas uses human shields? The debate we are having right now, is why. The more of their civilians they can show that are killed the more pressure from outside for a cease fire and then they can carry on and plan the next attack to slaughter the jews (to the cheers to a lot of people world sadly).

It is complicated but to ask Israel to not completely and utterly destroy every last little Hamas rat in those tunnels is crazy to me. If another government/terrorist targeted and slaughtered American civilians, I wonder if everyone would think differently. You can say you would not, but I doubt it.

Not an ounce of pity for people living under a terrorist organization while also potentially being victimized by the government next door that is perpetrating war crimes of their own? That's forking pathetic.
    Not one. They voted for it and they are all for killing jews.

What war crimes did Israel commit? I will wait

In general? Yes.

Since this conflict began last month? Also yes.
    Show me or at least give me possible war crime they committed. Doesn't even have to be provable, just a rumor will do.

Do you really believe that dehumanizing people isn't a tactic used by these butt crevasses to justify murdering them? It's a tale as old as time, Farb.
    Some people don't deserve to be treated as human. Just pretend they are an unvaccinated Maga republican that was in the capital on 1.6.

Yes, I know that was flippant but it proves my point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom