Civil War 2? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Very sobering article
    ================
    If you know people still in denial about the crisis of American democracy, kindly remove their heads from the sand long enough to receive this message: A startling new finding by one of the nation’s top authorities on foreign civil wars says we are on the cusp of our own.

Barbara F. Walter, a political science professorat the University of California at San Diego, serves on a CIA advisory panel called the Political Instability Task Force that monitors countries around the world and predicts which of them are most at risk of deteriorating into violence.

By law, the task force can’t assess what’s happening within the United States, but Walter, a longtime friend who has spent her career studying conflicts in Syria, Lebanon, Northern Ireland, Sri Lanka, the Philippines, Rwanda, Angola, Nicaragua and elsewhere, applied the predictive techniques herself to this country.

Her bottom line: “We are closer to civil war than any of us would like to believe.” She lays out the argument in detail in her must-read book, “How Civil Wars Start,” out in January. “No one wants to believe that their beloved democracy is in decline, or headed toward war,” she writes.

But, “if you were an analyst in a foreign country looking at events in America — the same way you’d look at events in Ukraine or the Ivory Coast or Venezuela — you would go down a checklist, assessing each of the conditions that make civil war likely.

And what you would find is that the United States, a democracy founded more than two centuries ago, has entered very dangerous territory.”

Indeed, the United States has already gone through what the CIA identifies as the first two phases of insurgency — the “pre-insurgency” and “incipient conflict” phases — and only time will tell whether the final phase, “open insurgency,” began with the sacking of the Capitol by Donald Trump supporters on Jan. 6.

Things deteriorated so dramatically under Trump, in fact, that the United States no longer technically qualifies as a democracy. Citing the Center for Systemic Peace’s “Polity” data set — the one the CIA task force has found to be most helpful in predicting instability and violence — Walter writes that the United States is now an “anocracy,” somewhere between a democracy and an autocratic state.

U.S. democracy had received the Polity index’s top score of 10, or close to it, for much of its history. But in the five years of the Trump era, it tumbled precipitously into the anocracy zone; by the end of his presidency, the U.S. score had fallen to a 5, making the country a partial democracy for the first time since 1800.

“We are no longer the world’s oldest continuous democracy,” Walter writes. “That honor is now held by Switzerland, followed by New Zealand, and then Canada. We are no longer a peer to nations like Canada, Costa Rica, and Japan, which are all rated a +10 on the Polity index.”…….

Others have reached similar findings. The Stockholm-based International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance put the United States on a list of “backsliding democracies” in a report last month.

“The United States, the bastion of global democracy, fell victim to authoritarian tendencies itself," the report said.

And a new survey by the academic consortium Bright Line Watch found that 17 percent of those who identify strongly as Republicans support the use of violence to restore Trump to power, and 39 percent favor doing everything possible to prevent Democrats from governing effectively……

On this board? There may have been times I've adjusted my position on things, but not on a grand scale that I can recall. I have done so before, just not here. The arguments from the other side on this board are not terribly persuasive or in touch with reality.

I can and I have, as have many others. We've led you to the water. Your failure to drink is yours and yours alone.
    LOL. Ok. I will gladly stay thirsty if that is my choice.

Still waiting on your evidence or and example. Like I said, shouldn't be hard.

LOL. Ok. I will gladly stay thirsty if that is my choice.

RIght-wing in a nutshell: "I would rather die of thirst than acknowledge reality."

Still waiting on your evidence or and example. Like I said, shouldn't be hard.

You've been given them. You ignore them. Why should I waste my time giving them to you again?

RIght-wing in a nutshell: "I would rather die of thirst than acknowledge reality."

You've been given them. You ignore them. Why should I waste my time giving them to you again?
    The reality of chest feeding, men giving birth, that reality? Yeah, sign me up for the world ending meteor then. Do you think those are rooted in reality?

Probably because you can't.

The reality of chest feeding, men giving birth, that reality? Yeah, sign me up for the world ending meteor then. Do you think those are rooted in reality?

I think a lot of the science around gender and sex is complicated and nuanced and any attempt to frame it in a way as simplistic as yours demonstrates a complete lack of comprehension. The only question is whether that lack of comprehension is intentional or genuine.

If it's intentional, the only way it could get more pathetic would be by adding a lame attempt at reverse psychology...

Probably because you can't.

... oh. I see.

I think a lot of the science around gender and sex is complicated and nuanced and any attempt to frame it in a way as simplistic as yours demonstrates a complete lack of comprehension. The only question is whether that lack of comprehension is intentional or genuine.

If it's intentional, the only way it could get more pathetic would be by adding a lame attempt at reverse psychology...

... oh. I see.
    Ok, explain the difference to me between gender and sex

Ok, explain the difference to me between gender and sex

It has been explained to you by many people on multiple occasions. You don't actually give a damn because if you did, you would have openly and honestly engaged in the discussion the first time it was explained to you. You didn't do it then and you still fail to do it now.

It has been explained to you by many people on multiple occasions. You don't actually give a damn because if you did, you would have openly and honestly engaged in the discussion the first time it was explained to you. You didn't do it then and you still fail to do it now.
    I don't think there is a difference. Can you show me the scientific data that proves this. Not suggests it, but actually proves it. Otherwise, you are asking society to change everything from cave man time because of a gender theory.

I don't think there is a difference. Can you show me the scientific data that proves this. Not suggests it, but actually proves it. Otherwise, you are asking society to change everything from cave man time because of a gender theory.

And now you are back to trying to reduce a complex topic covering many disciplines into a single data set.

You cannot have any sort of nuanced discussion about complex issues with a person who only sees black and white. It just can’t be done. Reductive reactionary reasoning isn’t going to further any understanding by anyone.

What is somewhat fascinating is seeing indoctrination play out this way. The exact same tactics used by radical extremists to radicalize disaffected young people the world over are being used effectively here now. And they work the same. People are just people, everywhere.

When 20-30% of this country believes down is up and green is yellow, we have a pretty serious problem. Weapons grade psyops. Ugh.

And now you are back to trying to reduce a complex topic covering many disciplines into a single data set.
    It is binary after all. It really is pretty simple, except for those with a mental disorder and there should be treatment for that issue that does not involve potentially chemically castrating children or loping off healthy body parts.

You cannot have any sort of nuanced discussion about complex issues with a person who only sees black and white. It just can’t be done. Reductive reactionary reasoning isn’t going to further any understanding by anyone.

What is somewhat fascinating is seeing indoctrination play out this way. The exact same tactics used by radical extremists to radicalize disaffected young people the world over are being used effectively here now. And they work the same. People are just people, everywhere.

When 20-30% of this country believes down is up and green is yellow, we have a pretty serious problem. Weapons grade psyops. Ugh.
    Like men getting pregnant and having children? Is that an example of people thinking up is down?

It is binary after all. It really is pretty simple, except for those with a mental disorder and there should be treatment for that issue that does not involve potentially chemically castrating children or loping off healthy body parts.

It has been shown to you that being trans is not a mental disorder. You are back to ignoring what others have said and demonstrated in the past.

Like men getting pregnant and having children? Is that an example of people thinking up is down?
    These straw man arguments are silly. I'd wager more people think Trump legitimately won the 2020 election and will be reinstalled any day now than people who think men can get pregnant.

It has been shown to you that being trans is not a mental disorder. You are back to ignoring what others have said and demonstrated in the past.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gender-dysphoria/symptoms-causes/syc-20475255

Ok, if that is the case, then why is a mental health services involved for any type of gender affirming care? Actually, the first resource listed at the mayo clinic.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pr...gender-women/care-at-mayo-clinic/pcc-20470695

Just repeating the same words over and over does it make it true in this shared reality.

These straw man arguments are silly. I'd wager more people think Trump legitimately won the 2020 election and will be reinstalled any day now than people who think men can get pregnant.
    Is it silly? You (not you specifically) tend to dismiss any of political opinions based on my beliefs. Why should it be different from my perspective.

If someone said that Trump was the Space Emperor that was for told in the prophecies of Alderan, would you take anything else out of their mouth seriously? No. So if someone says something, and means it, that is so far detached from actual reality, should I take everything they say but that seriously? You also have a presidential administration parroting these ideas. So, no, I don't think it is silly.

Is it silly? You (not you specifically) tend to dismiss any of political opinions based on my beliefs. Why should it be different from my perspective.

If someone said that Trump was the Space Emperor that was for told in the prophecies of Alderan, would you take anything else out of their mouth seriously? No. So if someone says something, and means it, that is so far detached from actual reality, should I take everything they say but that seriously? You also have a presidential administration parroting these ideas. So, no, I don't think it is silly.
    The Biden administration is saying men can get pregnant? What I'm saying is you tend to frame your arguments against far-left positions that hardly anyone on the left hold. But that's MAGA in a nutshell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom