Civil War 2? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Very sobering article
    ================
    If you know people still in denial about the crisis of American democracy, kindly remove their heads from the sand long enough to receive this message: A startling new finding by one of the nation’s top authorities on foreign civil wars says we are on the cusp of our own.

Barbara F. Walter, a political science professorat the University of California at San Diego, serves on a CIA advisory panel called the Political Instability Task Force that monitors countries around the world and predicts which of them are most at risk of deteriorating into violence.

By law, the task force can’t assess what’s happening within the United States, but Walter, a longtime friend who has spent her career studying conflicts in Syria, Lebanon, Northern Ireland, Sri Lanka, the Philippines, Rwanda, Angola, Nicaragua and elsewhere, applied the predictive techniques herself to this country.

Her bottom line: “We are closer to civil war than any of us would like to believe.” She lays out the argument in detail in her must-read book, “How Civil Wars Start,” out in January. “No one wants to believe that their beloved democracy is in decline, or headed toward war,” she writes.

But, “if you were an analyst in a foreign country looking at events in America — the same way you’d look at events in Ukraine or the Ivory Coast or Venezuela — you would go down a checklist, assessing each of the conditions that make civil war likely.

And what you would find is that the United States, a democracy founded more than two centuries ago, has entered very dangerous territory.”

Indeed, the United States has already gone through what the CIA identifies as the first two phases of insurgency — the “pre-insurgency” and “incipient conflict” phases — and only time will tell whether the final phase, “open insurgency,” began with the sacking of the Capitol by Donald Trump supporters on Jan. 6.

Things deteriorated so dramatically under Trump, in fact, that the United States no longer technically qualifies as a democracy. Citing the Center for Systemic Peace’s “Polity” data set — the one the CIA task force has found to be most helpful in predicting instability and violence — Walter writes that the United States is now an “anocracy,” somewhere between a democracy and an autocratic state.

U.S. democracy had received the Polity index’s top score of 10, or close to it, for much of its history. But in the five years of the Trump era, it tumbled precipitously into the anocracy zone; by the end of his presidency, the U.S. score had fallen to a 5, making the country a partial democracy for the first time since 1800.

“We are no longer the world’s oldest continuous democracy,” Walter writes. “That honor is now held by Switzerland, followed by New Zealand, and then Canada. We are no longer a peer to nations like Canada, Costa Rica, and Japan, which are all rated a +10 on the Polity index.”…….

Others have reached similar findings. The Stockholm-based International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance put the United States on a list of “backsliding democracies” in a report last month.

“The United States, the bastion of global democracy, fell victim to authoritarian tendencies itself," the report said.

And a new survey by the academic consortium Bright Line Watch found that 17 percent of those who identify strongly as Republicans support the use of violence to restore Trump to power, and 39 percent favor doing everything possible to prevent Democrats from governing effectively……

These tweets show why we need to just stop talking like secession is even doable or whether civil war is even an option. There is literally no such thing as a “red” or “blue” state. Nowhere.

These tweets show why we need to just stop talking like secession is even doable or whether civil war is even an option. There is literally no such thing as a “red” or “blue” state. Nowhere.

Of course there is red and blue states, the people's morals and values are way different in California compared to South Carolina to say or think otherwise is just being delusional.

The liberals are furious that no matter what they try ( Overton Window, Saul Alinsky rules for radicals) they can never indoctrinate red states, the only thing left for them to do is import more voters from Mexico and South America.

Of course there is red and blue states, the people's morals and values are way different in California compared to South Carolina to say or think otherwise is just being delusional.

The liberals are furious that no matter what they try ( Overton Window, Saul Alinsky rules for radicals) they can never indoctrinate red states, the only thing left for them to do is import more voters from Mexico and South America.
    This is false, and promotes the great replacement theory that started with white supremacists. Is that what you truly mean to promote?

There is delusion here, but I’m afraid its you.

Crazy indoctrination like math and science!

Good article about how it’s more of a policy civil war
    ====================

The political divisions in the United States increasingly aren’t coming from Washington. America has divided starkly into states dominated by Republicans with a shared agenda and states dominated by Democrats with an alternative one.

Much of America’s uncivil war, as President Biden has described it, stems from states adopting these divergent policies.

About 45 percent of Americans live in the 25 GOP-dominated states, and about 40 percent in the 16 Democratic ones.

In effect, we have two Americas of policy — and only a small fraction of Americans live in a place where one vision or the other isn’t on the march.

But these two Americas are not parallel.

Republicans have been more effective at implementing a unified, national agenda through state legislatures and governors. They are also using state power in a more extreme way than Democrats — for instance, changing election laws and limiting abortion rights so aggressively that these state-level policies have become the center of national political fights.

These two shifts — more states being dominated by one party and the parties pursuing a unified agenda across those states — aren’t new.

I wrote in 2019 about how blue states were adopting policies such as marijuana legislation while red states were limiting abortion rights and expanding gun rights.

But this state divide is deepening over time. In 1992, according to Ballotpedia, one party controlled both the state legislature and the governor’s office in 19 states. Today, that number has nearly doubled, to 37.

In four other states, one party has such a large majority in the legislature that it can override the veto of a governor from the opposing party. And the effects of so many one-party states are becoming clearer.

The presidential and electoral divide we’ve seen every four years since 2000 — graphically illustrated with maps showing states in the South and the country’s vast center mostly colored red, while those on the coasts are blue — has trickled down to the state level and into policy……,.

Once again, absolutely nothing based on facts. Broken record.

I'm really curious how an Overton Window (the idea of what's palatable by mainstream people) can be used for indoctrination? The whole point is that it's basically agreeable to almost everyone.

And if you think Mexicans and South Americans would automatically be "Democrat" voters...hahaha. I just can't. As a block, they're pretty not block like, and pretty split among the parties.

I’m a liberal and I’m not furious about this at all.

I think the 'slow march through the institutions' has been a resounding success for the Marxist/leftist. The main reason is because the republican leaders are also part of that slow march as well and profit from it.

Crazy indoctrination like math and science!
    And boy can be girls by grace of big pharma. All white people are racist, our country is founded on evil principles. The nuclear family is not longer needed, it can be replaced by the all knowing and all accepting state.
    I wish it was just math and science.

And boy can be girls by grace of big pharma. All white people are racist, our country is founded on evil principles. The nuclear family is not longer needed, it can be replaced by the all knowing and all accepting state.
    I wish it was just math and science.

No, you wish it was the science that you deem acceptable. You have no problem ignoring the science that doesn't fit your views.

No, you wish it was the science that you deem acceptable. You have no problem ignoring the science that doesn't fit your views.
    Can you give me an example?
    I can. Can a man become a woman? Any other answer other than 'no' is you no accepting the most basic scientific fact for the sake of your political ideology.

Can you give me an example?
    I can. Can a man become a woman? Any other answer other than 'no' is you no accepting the most basic scientific fact for the sake of your political ideology.

You asked me a question and then answered it. If I didn't know any better, I would say that you're mind is made up and nothing counter to your own opinion can penetrate your bubble. You are clearly not after a discussion.

You asked me a question and then answered it. If I didn't know any better, I would say that you're mind is made up and nothing counter to your own opinion can penetrate your bubble. You are clearly not after a discussion.
    Yeah, and you have changed your mind a lot on this board? I am just the lone stubborn bigot that refuses to join the new church.

Can you show me where I ignore science, you said I do, so it should be easy. This is a discussion.

Yeah, and you have changed your mind a lot on this board? I am just the lone stubborn bigot that refuses to join the new church.

On this board? There may have been times I've adjusted my position on things, but not on a grand scale that I can recall. I have done so before, just not here. The arguments from the other side on this board are not terribly persuasive or in touch with reality.

Can you show me where I ignore science, you said I do, so it should be easy. This is a discussion.

I can and I have, as have many others. We've led you to the water. Your failure to drink is yours and yours alone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom