California to Ban Sales of New Gas-Powered Cars Starting in 2035 (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

NoPartyMike

Reaction score
    https://www.npr.org/2020/09/23/9162...er-banning-sales-of-new-gasoline-cars-by-2035

Gov Newsome says the changes are being implemented to fight climate change.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/26/8836...electric-truck-rule-targets-diesel-death-zone

In similar news, back in June, the CA Air Resources Board passed a mandate that by 2045 all new diesel truck sales, targeting the 18 wheeler industry, will need to be electric.

In Newsome's press conference he says they have a strong plan, the auto industry is trending this way, and they want to motivate society to make the switch to electric faster.

I think this is a noble venture, and amplified if the materials and power can also be produced in a more climate friendly manner than that of fossil fuels.

Last edited:
    BMW i3 REx 'has no future,' automaker says

I guess BMW doesn't think the small generator in the back is worth it due to battery advancement.

Yeah I could see that doubling the range on a city car when it was first introduced was beneficial but that was when you could actually sell a sub compact car in America.

If you haven't already noticed that segment of the auto world is dead as it gets.

The one thing that an EV has to be able to do for me is to evacuate. Being stuck trying to evacuate is not an option. I am sure people that have had to evacuate from fires in california also agree.

I would see a sub compact city car about as useful in my world as a Vespa but I certainly can evacuate on a Vespa.

Yeah I could see that doubling the range on a city car when it was first introduced was beneficial but that was when you could actually sell a sub compact car in America.

If you haven't already noticed that segment of the auto world is dead as it gets.

The one thing that an EV has to be able to do for me is to evacuate. Being stuck trying to evacuate is not an option. I am sure people that have had to evacuate from fires in california also agree.

I would see a sub compact city car about as useful in my world as a Vespa but I certainly can evacuate on a Vespa.
    There are plenty of hybrid options these days. All brands will soon offer hybrid trucks. American sub compacts are gone. Plenty of foreign ones still for sale.

There are plenty of hybrid options these days. All brands will soon offer hybrid trucks. American sub compacts are gone. Plenty of foreign ones still for sale.

I don't know of a true hybrid truck coming out. Well at least not like a Prius you know crazy mpg.

I have looked into the new f150 it is not a spectacular difference in mpg with the additional like forty electric hp from the hybrid. Ford expects a 700 mile range out of a thirty gallon tank on their new hybrid that is not great only a couple mpg more than the regular truck.

They really just make the start stop technology no so friggin annoying. They use the baby electric motor starts you rolling then the engine restarts.

The real answer is people don't need the huge vehicles most of the time and should not buy for the three percent of the time you need a big arse vehicle. That alone would fix a ton of our problems.

Actually I think the push for pure electric vehicles is a bunch of push politically and just eventually just the same problem just pushed out of our borders. Still have plenty of pollution just somewhere else.

A few years back I recall two people had an interesting idea, and from I recall, they are modular, so if one breaks you just pop it out and replace it individually

"Each SR3 tile contains a 44-watt solar panel. The tiles are designed to heat themselves so the hardware doesn’t freeze when temperatures drop, ensuring the panels can generate energy year round (and eliminating the need for a snow plow on roads that use the tiles).

The tempered glass that coats the panels is durable; according to Northwest Public Radio, it can withstand the weight of a semi truck. And the LED lights actually serve a purpose as well — they’re designed to replace painted lane markers, making it easier to change a road's design if it undergoes construction. "

(looks like they are still around)

Last edited:
    A few years back I recall two people had an interesting idea, and from I recall, they are modular, so if one breaks you just pop it out and replace it individually

"Each SR3 tile contains a 44-watt solar panel. The tiles are designed to heat themselves so the hardware doesn’t freeze when temperatures drop, ensuring the panels can generate energy year round (and eliminating the need for a snow plow on roads that use the tiles).

The tempered glass that coats the panels is durable; according to Northwest Public Radio, it can withstand the weight of a semi truck. And the LED lights actually serve a purpose as well — they’re designed to replace painted lane markers, making it easier to change a road's design if it undergoes construction. "

(looks like they are still around)

That is an exceptional idea.

Imagine the rust belt not needing to salt. Vehicles will last longer.

I can see that getting bought and killed by a great big company that wants to keep salting so you buy new cars faster still.

I think this will be fine if Charging infrastructure is built to support it. One thing I would like to see is inductive charging through roadways, just like is available for phones. That would alleviate range concerns. Also, solar panels on the cars.

Also, we need to address the other big greenhouse gas, which is methane.

I too, always like the idea of the solar roads. I think it hit some roadblocks (pun intended) during research about 10 years ago, because the roads would get dirty and require cleaning. Last time I checked, they were looking into elevating the panels to maybe street lights or lines, but the panels weren't efficient enough at the time.

I too, always like the idea of the solar roads. I think it hit some roadblocks (pun intended) during research about 10 years ago, because the roads would get dirty and require cleaning. Last time I checked, they were looking into elevating the panels to maybe street lights or lines, but the panels weren't efficient enough at the time.
    They add issues with it in France where they tried it.

Reading up a bit on the Normandy's solar road, it seems developers didn't anticipate things like dead leaves and heavy tractors. Looking at pictures, it also doesn't seem like it is made of modular sections, because an article mentions they had to rip out a 100ft section. I think it if were modular, they could just pop in some new replacements. The panels were covered with some kind of epoxy or something, which cracked over time, and it was said many of the solar panels were broken before even being installed in the road. I wouldn't write it off, but some things obviously need to be improved.

News from Toyota. They've teamed up with Hino to develop a class 8 hydrogen fuel cell electric truck for North America. The trucks are being touted as emissions free. They are also developing a 25ton version with help from Kenworth. Additionally, they are currently building a large scale hydrogen fuel station in the port of Los Angeles. The noteworthiness of these new deals is that Toyota has mega bucks to throw at these projects vs smaller electric auto makers.

News from Toyota. They've teamed up with Hino to develop a class 8 hydrogen fuel cell electric truck for North America. The trucks are being touted as emissions free. They are also developing a 25ton version with help from Kenworth. Additionally, they are currently building a large scale hydrogen fuel station in the port of Los Angeles. The noteworthiness of these new deals is that Toyota has mega bucks to throw at these projects vs smaller electric auto makers.

That is a game changer.

I always thought that hydrogen is the long term answer to our fuel problems and most importantly lack of range problems.

I am more than confident the toyota group can get the job done. They are only the largest auto manufacturer in the world and make over 10 million vehicles a year.

The real race is when the big boys that actually know how to make mass amounts of quality vehicles gets in the game will knock Tesla out of the market because the tech end doesn't make up for knowing how to build cars.

It's the quickest path to getting hauling and construction vehicles off of fossil fuel burning, so it makes sense.

It also good to develop two different technologies instead of just one, eggs and baskets and all that.

I hope they license it to other manufacturers.

I am a huge fan of cab over work trucks my dream is build an overland truck out of a fuso FG4X4. That is a 4wd cab over truck.

Powerball purchase if I ever win it.

How cool would it be driving a 4wd camping rig across some barron dry area and only leaving water behind.

I have often thought about a small wind powered turbine to charge batteries. I mean you are creating wind with the movement of the car; you would just need an intake to concentrate it and funnel it to the turbines. Then that and the brakes create the static electricity enough to power the recharging of the battery. There must be a reason why because that seems so simple

Thermodynamics. You can't get something for nothing. On board wind turbines would increase the drag, causing more energy loss than they would create. Unless perhaps you opened the ports only going downhill. But I don't think that would be very practical, especially since you already have the regenerative braking.

Speaking of wind turbines, a Dutch company is developing a silent, nautilus shaped, wind turbine for houses. It's supposed to be used in combination with solar panels, but could bridge the gap for those looking for a renewable energy source without the footprint exposure of solar. The company states 1 could generate 1,500kWh of energy per year with wind speeds of 5m/s. They also have the benefit of working at night.

nautilus-shaped silent rooftop wind turbine

Last edited:
    An almost 2 year old topic, but seems like it actually happened

The board unanimously approved the rule, which will gradually phase out the sale of combustion-engine vehicles. By 2026, 35 percent of new car sales in the state must be electric vehicles, plug-in hybrids or models with hydrogen fuel cells. That benchmark will rise to 68 percent by 2030 and 100 percent by 2035.

California Air Resources Board chair Liane Randolph said the move will lead to a 50 percent drop in pollution from light trucks and cars by 2040. The state also aims to move to 100 percent renewable energy by 2045.

This will be interesting to see as a model for energy independence but I question whether they can realistically meet the goal.

This will be interesting to see as a model for energy independence but I question whether they can realistically meet the goal.

Honestly I feel like by the year 2035, the vast majority of models being sold by manufacturers will be EV. The rest probably hybrids. 13-ish years is a long time in technology years

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom