Biden seeking a $15 an hour minimum wage in his Covid relief proposal (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Incumbent

Reaction score
    If there’s already a Biden economy thread, I can add this there. It could have gone in the Covid thread, but the impact of this would extend well beyond that topic.

Well past time to raise the minimum wage, which hasn’t been increased since 2009.

Uh oh, looks like no more $1.50 Costco hot dog purchases for a certain someone who really hates the idea of raising hourly pay to a borderline livable wage (plus I heard he REALLY doesn't like when people sit on his couch, eat his food, and watch his TV)...

Plus, these nefarious gluttonous couch surfers don't contribute at all to paying any taxes, darn free loaders, amirite?

Well, breaking and entering is certainly a felony, buddy. The legal consequences for such actions are pretty stout and undeniable, irregardless of who's doing it.

You can keep saying it but it doesn't make it true. Undocumented workers are not criminals. The law does not treat them as such. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this.

I have no idea why you think your analogy is in anyway apt.

You seem to be very emotionally driven, which is a bad way to make policy.
    Some people have accused AOC, Bernie, and members of the "Squad" for these same problems, too? Particularly, Omar when it came to making borderline antisemitic comments or inferring tropes that might've gotten her some cheers from white supremacists(and mortal enemies) like David Duke.

Some people have accused AOC, Bernie, and members of the "Squad" for these same problems, too? Particularly, Omar when it came to making borderline antisemitic comments or inferring tropes that might've gotten her some cheers from white supremacists(and mortal enemies) like David Duke.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the discussion we're having here.

You can keep saying it but it doesn't make it true. Undocumented workers are not criminals. The law does not treat them as such. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this.

I have no idea why you think your analogy is in any way apt.

You seem to be very emotionally driven, which is a bad way to make policy.
    They are criminals. If they are working in the US they are criminals. If they are paying taxes in the US they are criminals. If they came across the border illegally they are criminals. They should be treated how the law allows and be deported. I have no problem with legal immigrants.

They are criminals. If they are working in the US they are criminals. If they are paying taxes in the US they are criminals. If they came across the border illegally they are criminals. They should be treated how the law allows and be deported. I have no problem with legal immigrants.

Again, that is not what the law says about them. Please cite the law they are breaking.

About half of undocumented workers in this country entered legally and overstayed their visa which is not a criminal violation, but a civil one. Those who crossed the border illegally committed a misdemeanor offense. However, if they came over as kids, they are not criminally responsible for that either.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the discussion we're having here.
    It's in response to a comment you made earlier in this thread to another poster about how he tends to be overly emotional in politically-related discussions on MAP and how politicians, I seemed to infer from your statement, tends to lead to bad policy decisions, or discussions on key political and social issues and I've noticed those politicos do have a tendency of letting their emotions dictate their responses whether in debates, statements, making controversial quotes or inferences they don't realize could be hurtful, hateful, or useful to antisemitic bigots and it leads others to believe, particularly their critics, that their proposals are unrealistic, bereft of key, important specifics that might potentially wreck the economy in the long-term then create any real tangible benefits.

It's in response to a comment you made earlier in this thread to another poster about how he tends to be overly emotional in politically-related discussions on MAP and how politicians, I seemed to infer from your statement, tends to lead to bad policy decisions, or discussions on key political and social issues and I've noticed those politicos do have a tendency of letting their emotions dictate their responses whether in debates, statements, making controversial quotes or inferences they don't realize could be hurtful, hateful, or useful to antisemitic bigots and it leads others to believe, particularly their critics, that their proposals are unrealistic, bereft of key, important specifics that might potentially wreck the economy in the long-term then create any real tangible benefits.

Right, but I'm not talking to Omar and the squad, I was talking to a user here. It seems like an odd non-sequitur to bring up. You could literally bring up dozens of people all over the world who make emotional decisions, but what's the point in a discussion between two people on this board?

Right, but I'm not talking to Omar and the squad, I was talking to a user here. It seems like an odd non-sequitur to bring up. You could literally bring up dozens of people all over the world who make emotional decisions, but what's the point in a discussion between two people on this board?
    Because I got the impression or perhaps your quote reminded me of some previous criticism made by numerous pundits towards AOC, Bernie, "The Squad" members being overly emotional sometimes in the past. I know you're not talking or referring to these politicians in comments to another poster but I felt the statement sort of applies to them by their behavior, occasionally.

As UTJ and the Supreme Court have clearly stated, illegal immigrants aren't automatically criminals for crossing the border. You're going to have to cite case law supporting your position.

Working in the US isn't a crime. Paying taxes isn't a crime. Neither of those things will get them deported. Crossing the border on it's own doesn't get them deported. You're misinformed, but keep banging that drum I guess.

They need to keep covid relief, covid relief, this sounds like a poison pill to me. They know Republicans will NEVER go for a federal 15$ minimum wage hike, even during a pandemic. This sounds more like "ah ha! gotcha!" than just hurrying up covid relief checks. These checks should have gone out months ago under Trump, weeks ago when Biden took over. While I do believe there needs to be a serious discussion about where minimum wage goes, it shouldn't be included in an emergency package that is long overdue to struggling Americans. What congress has essentially done, is delayed this whole thing because they KNEW the republicans in congress would fight and get triggered about it. All so the democrats can say, "SEE, SEE, Look how evil the Republicans are!"

This should be a completely separate issue that is debated and decided upon after those checks go out.

They need to keep covid relief, covid relief, this sounds like a poison pill to me. They know Republicans will NEVER go for a federal 15$ minimum wage hike, even during a pandemic. This sounds more like "ah ha! gotcha!" than just hurrying up covid relief checks. These checks should have gone out months ago under Trump, weeks ago when Biden took over. While I do believe there needs to be a serious discussion about where minimum wage goes, it shouldn't be included in an emergency package that is long overdue to struggling Americans. What congress has essentially done, is delayed this whole thing because they KNEW the republicans in congress would fight and get triggered about it. All so the democrats can say, "SEE, SEE, Look how evil the Republicans are!"

This should be a completely separate issue that is debated and decided upon after those checks go out.
    The Democrats already went the budget reconciliation route, right? They don’t need Republicans.

However, I believe one of the parliamentarians has ruled that the min wage increase can’t be done by budget reconciliation last night. Which, feels like the accurate call despite progressives being upset.
    Of course, we should also realize that the checks are a small part of the relief package. There is a lot of other funding and vaccine distribution funding in there. Checks alone won’t help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom