All things Racist...USA edition (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    I was looking for a place to put this so we could discuss but didn't really find a place that worked so I created this thread so we can all place articles, experiences, videos and examples of racism in the USA.

This is one that happened this week. The lady even called and filed a complaint on the officer. This officer also chose to wear the body cam (apparently, LA doesn't require this yet). This exchange wasn't necessarily racist IMO until she started with the "mexican racist...you will never be white, like you want" garbage. That is when it turned racist IMO

All the murderer and other insults, I think are just a by product of CRT and ACAB rhetoric that is very common on the radical left and sadly is being brought to mainstream in this country.

Another point that I think is worth mentioning is she is a teacher and the sense of entitlement she feels is mind blowing.

https://news.yahoo.com/black-teacher-berates-latino-la-221235341.html

Was this really necessary?

Is this excessive virtue signaling?

Is this condescending racism by the white University Administration? Is this fear of been labeled racist?

Is this fake outrage by the POC student body or is this real hurt?

Does the removal of the rock changes anything for POC?

Is this condescending racism by the white University Administration? Is this fear of been labeled racist?

Is this really something people outside of that university's community should be concerned with?

UW–Madison senior Nalah McWhorter, who served as president of the Wisconsin Black Student Union during the 2020-21 academic year, was among a small group of onlookers who watched as a crane lifted the rock out of the ground early Friday morning.

“It was very meaningful for me to be there and to see the process all the way through to the end,” McWhorter said. “It was about a year ago that we released our demands and met with the chancellor and explained to her why those demands meant so much to us. It was a powerful moment today to see this demand come full circle.”

McWhorter said she hopes that the removal of the rock inspires other students to work for change on campus.

McWhorter supports it! How can it be a bad thing? :hihi:

I am still waiting on the answer to my original question? Why?
    Why what? why doesn't it matter?

We shouldn't be proud or ashamed of anything that we didn't have anything to do with.

My white privilege doesn't depend on whether or not my family owned slaves, it is just a matter of my whiteness. I'm not ashamed that racism has made my life easier, it's not my fault.

I do not believe that my family ever owned slaves because they were likely too poor. They most likely would have loved to be able to afford some slaves.

Why what? why doesn't it matter?

We shouldn't be proud or ashamed of anything that we didn't have anything to do with.

My white privilege doesn't depend on whether or not my family owned slaves, it is just a matter of my whiteness. I'm not ashamed that racism has made my life easier, it's not my fault.

I do not believe that my family ever owned slaves because they were likely too poor. They most likely would have loved to be able to afford some slaves.
    Then why does it matter if the person 'owns' that fact that past relatives owned slaves? What benefit or negative does that provide?

Then why does it matter if the person 'owns' that fact that past relatives owned slaves? What benefit or negative does that provide?
    I was just mostly thinking about Ben Affleck's reaction.

I guess what you should own, is how white privilege has made your life easier, not really whether or not your family owned slaves.

You should own your white privilege, because denying it makes progress more difficult. It is akin to holocaust denial. Which i know you don't deny, because you are suffering the exact same thing now as an anti-vaxxer.

So, the trap was not the well laid trap after all...shame.

You are really in the business of taking fault for everyone else mistakes and lack or morals lately. You maybe need to take a break. That white guilt or white rage (not sure what the vernacular is now) is strong in you. Good for you, I guess.

No, I won't be 'owning' my white privilege because I don't have or own any white privilege. I do have several advantages but they don't apply to what color my skin is. If you want to play that game and feel ashamed, which obviously you do since you relate it to the 'holocausts' denial, for something because of the pigment in your skin, have at it, but I wont be joining you. In fact, I am an antiracist so I will be vocal in admonishing you in that tribal and barbaric belief.

And what progress are we hoping for? Where people are rewarded for feeling like a victim? No thanks. I prefer to live in a society where every person is responsible for his or her actions and life choices and are treated accordingly.

So, the trap was not the well laid trap after all...shame.

You are really in the business of taking fault for everyone else mistakes and lack or morals lately. You maybe need to take a break. That white guilt or white rage (not sure what the vernacular is now) is strong in you. Good for you, I guess.

No, I won't be 'owning' my white privilege because I don't have or own any white privilege. I do have several advantages but they don't apply to what color my skin is. If you want to play that game and feel ashamed, which obviously you do since you relate it to the 'holocausts' denial, for something because of the pigment in your skin, have at it, but I wont be joining you. In fact, I am an antiracist so I will be vocal in admonishing you in that tribal and barbaric belief.

And what progress are we hoping for? Where people are rewarded for feeling like a victim? No thanks. I prefer to live in a society where every person is responsible for his or her actions and life choices and are treated accordingly.

So you deny the existence of white privilege.

I’m not guilty or mad.

Racism has made your life easier than it would have been if racism did not exist.

So you deny the existence of white privilege.

I’m not guilty or mad.

Racism has made your life easier than it would have been if racism did not exist.
    White privilege is in group preference and it is quite real. All groups are naturally inclined take care of their own. This is as old as mankind has been around. The only way to get rid of this is by mixing all racial groups into a single group. Once you do that then you will have to deal with classism.

White privilege is in group preference and it is quite real. All groups are naturally inclined take care of their own. This is as old as mankind has been around. The only way to get rid of this is by mixing all racial groups into a single group. Once you do that then you will have to deal with classism.
    No, racism isn't natural, not matter how many times you wish for it.

We define the group. Kids born into multicultural groups, do not define their group by race.

No, racism isn't natural, not matter how many times you wish for it.

We define the group. Kids born into multicultural groups, do not define their group by race.
    I disagree. We evolved in tribes and there is a biological component that can be tamed. It takes actual work to not be a racist. Racism can also be diminished when two different groups acquire a culture that unifies them.

"As a neurobiologist, what do you regard as viable solutions to the issue of racism?

A:
    Well, there are slight hints of things to be optimistic about from the standpoint of neurobiology. For instance, if you put a white American in a brain scanner, and you quickly flash up a series of pictures of faces on a screen, and you flash up the face of an African-American person, in approximately seventy-five percent of white people, there’s an activation of the amygdala, which is a part of the brain that has to do with fear and anxiety and aggression. Oh, my god! This is fascinating and so depressing at the same time.

Also, the part of the brain that processes “faces” (called the fusiform cortex) does not activate as much in those seventy-five percent of white people looking at a black face, because it doesn’t count as “a face” as much. It’s not as much of a person. So, oh my God, this is so depressing and so horrible!

But wait a second, what about the twenty-five percent of the people where that does not happen? The answer is those are white people who grew up with close friends who are African-American. Those are people who had a romantic relationship with an African-American somewhere along the way. In another word, it is not inevitable but some of the best solutions for that start when you’re two years old.

However, in many parts of the United States in the big cities, the level of racial segregation – the extent to which if you’re black you are likely to be going to a public school, where 95 percent of the other kids are black, and if you’re white, the same thing in that direction – is as bad as it was in the 1950s. It’s not because of laws, but because of economics and cultural factors.

So, it is the massive issues that need to be changed starting early in life. Although it is possible to take an adult who was a racist – even on the most implicit, unconscious level – and change him or her, but it’s hard work and it’s a lot harder than preventing a three-year-old from becoming a racist in the first place. But the other issue is just such enormous economic inequality in this country by race. It’s so deeply structured in the economic and educational system here that all it does is find ways to become stronger each generation."

I disagree. We evolved in tribes and there is a biological component that can be tamed. It takes actual work to not be a racist. Racism can also be diminished when two different groups acquire a culture that unifies them.

"As a neurobiologist, what do you regard as viable solutions to the issue of racism?

A:
    Well, there are slight hints of things to be optimistic about from the standpoint of neurobiology. For instance, if you put a white American in a brain scanner, and you quickly flash up a series of pictures of faces on a screen, and you flash up the face of an African-American person, in approximately seventy-five percent of white people, there’s an activation of the amygdala, which is a part of the brain that has to do with fear and anxiety and aggression. Oh, my god! This is fascinating and so depressing at the same time.

Also, the part of the brain that processes “faces” (called the fusiform cortex) does not activate as much in those seventy-five percent of white people looking at a black face, because it doesn’t count as “a face” as much. It’s not as much of a person. So, oh my God, this is so depressing and so horrible!

But wait a second, what about the twenty-five percent of the people where that does not happen? The answer is those are white people who grew up with close friends who are African-American. Those are people who had a romantic relationship with an African-American somewhere along the way. In another word, it is not inevitable but some of the best solutions for that start when you’re two years old.

However, in many parts of the United States in the big cities, the level of racial segregation – the extent to which if you’re black you are likely to be going to a public school, where 95 percent of the other kids are black, and if you’re white, the same thing in that direction – is as bad as it was in the 1950s. It’s not because of laws, but because of economics and cultural factors.

So, it is the massive issues that need to be changed starting early in life. Although it is possible to take an adult who was a racist – even on the most implicit, unconscious level – and change him or her, but it’s hard work and it’s a lot harder than preventing a three-year-old from becoming a racist in the first place. But the other issue is just such enormous economic inequality in this country by race. It’s so deeply structured in the economic and educational system here that all it does is find ways to become stronger each generation."
    Classic. Disagrees with someone saying racism isn't natural, says "there is a biological component that can be tamed", and then for evidence of this, links to an interview that states, "Well, in so far as I think the science shows, race is not a particularly strong innate category in our heads, and racism can be changed as an unconscious category surprisingly easily. We are not looking at biology here." And that also goes on to further support @samiam5211's premise that "Kids born into multicultural groups, do not define their group by race." as can be seen in the bit @Paul did quote.

It's quite an interesting interview really, worth reading. And I'd definitely recommend doing that before using it to say you disagree with someone who's position is supported by it.

Classic. Disagrees with someone saying racism isn't natural, says "there is a biological component that can be tamed", and then for evidence of this, links to an interview that states, "Well, in so far as I think the science shows, race is not a particularly strong innate category in our heads, and racism can be changed as an unconscious category surprisingly easily. We are not looking at biology here." And that also goes on to further support @samiam5211's premise that "Kids born into multicultural groups, do not define their group by race." as can be seen in the bit @Paul did quote.

It's quite an interesting interview really, worth reading. And I'd definitely recommend doing that before using it to say you disagree with someone who's position is supported by it.
    He likes it when we argue over white nationalist talking points with him.

He is a social darwinist.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom