All things Racist...USA edition (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    I was looking for a place to put this so we could discuss but didn't really find a place that worked so I created this thread so we can all place articles, experiences, videos and examples of racism in the USA.

This is one that happened this week. The lady even called and filed a complaint on the officer. This officer also chose to wear the body cam (apparently, LA doesn't require this yet). This exchange wasn't necessarily racist IMO until she started with the "mexican racist...you will never be white, like you want" garbage. That is when it turned racist IMO

All the murderer and other insults, I think are just a by product of CRT and ACAB rhetoric that is very common on the radical left and sadly is being brought to mainstream in this country.

Another point that I think is worth mentioning is she is a teacher and the sense of entitlement she feels is mind blowing.

https://news.yahoo.com/black-teacher-berates-latino-la-221235341.html

My very first mortgage application was a disaster. The company secretary put mu application in the back burner because I had a Spanish surname. That was in the south in the early 1980s. They never looked at it and failed to realized I was overqualified for the loan. As the settlement day approached by realtor was in shock as to why the mortgage company was silent. Bigotry is real and sometimes the offenders are low level secretaries. At the same time Asian and Indian students graduating form American Medical schools were treated as foreign graduates because of the last name. Their applications for training slots were put at the bottom of the pile.

I ended up changing the surname of my son to an Anglo Saxon last name.
    But systematic racism doesn't exist, right?
    If only back people could change their color to skirt the racism....

But systematic racism doesn't exist, right?
    If only back people could change their color to skirt the racism....
    Systemic racism is real, but it has gotten better. In 1980 a person with a Spanish surname had difficulty getting a loan. Today, 40 years later I can get any loan I want. In fact I get solicited all the time to refinance my home. Anywhere I go I can get instant credit with my scores. Luckily I do not have debt anymore. There has been some progress, but racism is still an issue.

Furthermore, I do not think the entire system is as racist as it used to be in the 1950s. There has been a lot of improvement and that should be acknowledged. Lastly, we should not assume unequal outcomes are always due to systemic racism. That sort of conclusion clouds the issue and does not allow a careful detail analysis.

Sure it has gotten better. If you could have talked to POC back in the 1920's they will tell you it has gotten better than it was in the 1890's. Getting better doesn't mean it doesn't still happen. I am not sure why a lot of white people in this country take it personally when the systematic racism is brought up.

The first thing they say is, well, it was over a 100 years ago, get over it..

Sure it has gotten better. If you could have talked to POC back in the 1920's they will tell you it has gotten better than it was in the 1890's. Getting better doesn't mean it doesn't still happen. I am not sure why a lot of white people in this country take it personally when the systematic racism is brought up.

The main problem with mentioning systemic racism is that the term is abstract and used as an all purpose excuse to explain unequal outcomes. It is also used as a tool to shut down any discussion that may raise other issues that need attention.

I prefer concrete clear evidence of racism. I acknowledge that the battle against racism was easier in 1960 when the walls and hurdles were visible and obvious such as school segregation, no colored allowed, etc. Today civil rights leader used the term systemic racism which is less specific but sounds good while making a speech. Many systems are still racist. The best example is the poor training of police officers nation wide. Can you name five more specific examples of systemic racism? I think that is more effective.

Last edited:
    My children are married to whites. Yes, they say stuff like that. They often say it out of frustration because they feel the system is trying to make things better for all. They are also unwilling to engage discussions about these issue. They are turned off by the subject. One of them is quite liberal and shows more empathy, but he mostly goes about his business.

Just to clarify and underscore how history is misunderstood. This claim is only partially true, but absolutely not true in the Southern states.

After 1890, the condition and status of blacks became demonstrably worse because of the emergence of Jim Crow. Before 1890, most black men in all southern states had the right to vote. There were even strong pockets of a black MC forming in states like OK/NC and parts of the upper South and even LA.

But restrictions on voting, enforced through lynching diminished (or downright eliminiated) the improved status of many black Americans in the Southern states.

So actually, their position and status declined from 1890 to 1920.

I do appreciate Paul giving me the tiniest of peeks into what is must be like for Blacks or any minority for that matter when someone not associated tells them how they think.

the elitist way Paul describes European white people is almost idolatry. That isn’t being a good Christian.

that and as a white Euro descendant I feel a bit creeped out.

Just more evidence of just because things get better, they don't always stay better.

Right. I only mention it because the anniversary is this year, but the torching and bombing (yes, white supremacists used airplanes) black businesses and homes in Tulsa, OK in 1921 is a good example of the relative prosperity of Af-Ams in the South losing ground.

I ended up changing the surname of my son to an Anglo Saxon last name.

My children are married to whites.
    Everything is starting to become clearer now.

You know, I find it funny, audacious even, that someone can be here, lecturing other minorities and others about how to assimilate properly, when you took the HOV lane to assimilation. You didn't assimilate, you "passed." No heat, no judgement. But, you passed. It now makes perfect sense why you think assimilation is this easy thing and the burden of achieving it is on the minority because, for you, it was easy and you could change it.

In the South, in Louisiana, we have a term called "passe blanc." Passe blanc is a term used for Creoles, black people, who are so light skinned that they can, and in some cases, quite literally, pass for white. Hence, the French term passe blanc, "passing white." I joked about it earlier but my mom, a former Mouton, is passe blanc. I, mean, dear God, she has clearly visible freckles on her face. Like, she is that light skinned. My brother, even though he has my father's strong black features, is also, passe blanc. No one believes me when I tell them he is my older brother and we have the same parents.

Passe blanc, passing, can be a controversial topic in the Black community. For anyone interested, here is some discussion about it (start at the 4 min mark with 1st video):

For me, I'm fortunate to be in the unique position to have deep perspective into both sides. My mom's family, almost entirely, are passe blanc. My dad's family are all dark skin Black. That's, why I said earlier, "no heat, no judgement." However, you need to recognize your thoughts on assimilation have been heavily influenced by your personal ability to pass, something most minorities can't do. Unfortunately, changing a name on a paper to get fair access to some of the great things this country has to offer isn't an option for everyone.

You know, I find it funny, audacious even, that someone can be here, lecturing other minorities and others about how to assimilate properly, when you took the HOV lane to assimilation. You didn't assimilate, you "passed." No heat, no judgement. But, you passed. It now makes perfect sense why you think assimilation is this easy thing and the burden of achieving it is on the minority because, for you, it was easy and you could change it.

In the South, in Louisiana, we have a term called "passe blanc." Passe blanc is a term used for Creoles, black people, who are so light skinned that they can, and in some cases, quite literally, pass for white. Hence, the French term passe blanc, "passing white." I joked about it earlier but my mom, a former Mouton, is passe blanc. I, mean, dear God, she has clearly visible freckles on her face. Like, she is that light skinned. My brother, even though he has my father's strong black features, is also, passe blanc. No one believes me when I tell them he is my older brother and we have the same parents.

Passe blanc, passing, can be a controversial topic in the Black community. For anyone interested, here is some discussion about it (start at the 4 min mark with 1st video):

For me, I'm fortunate to be in the unique position to have deep perspective into both sides. My mom's family, almost entirely, are passe blanc. My dad's family are all dark skin Black. That's, why I said earlier, "no heat, no judgement." However, you need to recognize your thoughts on assimilation have been heavily influenced by your personal ability to pass, something most minorities can't do. Unfortunately, changing a name on a paper to get fair access to some of the great things this country has to offer isn't an option for everyone.

I mentioned the very same thing earlier. But you are definitely right. @Paul thinks it's easy because he was able to take the easy way out. He simply allowed people to think he was white so much so that his children married white people to conceal their latin heritage.

OK, that is a fair assessment. I heard the you look white comment a zillion times when I was much younger. My wife also looks white, she has the Sofía Vergara look, but slightly more fair with blue eyes. My children look white so they married whites.

I know quite well for racist people we will be classified as high yellow just because of the Spanish surname and accent. No big deal to me as I grew up outside the USA. Therefore i do not need external affirmation. The negativity never brought my spirits down. As I said before, despite my looks I still suffered discrimination based on the Spanish surname in application forms. It got to the point that when I took my wife to apply for entry level job we asked to talk to the chief of personnel rather than to leave an application form. She got the job on the spot. I can only imagine how much more racism others endure and I have massive sympathy.

I did not know this at the time. But saying to someone you look white is somewhat racist. I do not agree with the current methods to fight discrimination. The methods rely near 100% on the concept that white people must change. There is no self help in this system.

No big deal to me as I grew up outside the USA.
    Can someone who’s not on ignore ask him how old he is? Didn’t he say he’s already been in the states for like 50 plus years?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom