All things Racist...USA edition (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    I was looking for a place to put this so we could discuss but didn't really find a place that worked so I created this thread so we can all place articles, experiences, videos and examples of racism in the USA.

This is one that happened this week. The lady even called and filed a complaint on the officer. This officer also chose to wear the body cam (apparently, LA doesn't require this yet). This exchange wasn't necessarily racist IMO until she started with the "mexican racist...you will never be white, like you want" garbage. That is when it turned racist IMO

All the murderer and other insults, I think are just a by product of CRT and ACAB rhetoric that is very common on the radical left and sadly is being brought to mainstream in this country.

Another point that I think is worth mentioning is she is a teacher and the sense of entitlement she feels is mind blowing.

https://news.yahoo.com/black-teacher-berates-latino-la-221235341.html

Good article
    ==========
    After seven years of corporate life, Mary Smith had a routine: putting extra effort into her hair (so as to not appear too Black) and her demeanor (ditto) and her clothes (you can probably guess).

But once she got a taste of the work-from-home life during the pandemic, Smith knew she could never go back. Her scalp was free from constraining hairstyles, and she could disappear from the screen if a colleague said something insulting.

A few months ago, her employer asked her to begin the transition back to in-person work. So she quit. “I was just very strongly against that,” said the 29-year-old project manager in Irving, Tex.

After the coronavirus sent millions of employees home, many Black women experienced a workday free of the micro and macro aggressions that followed them at their predominantly White workplaces.

They had the privacy to grieve the countless deaths that led to the racial unrest of last summer — without having to pretend to be okay for the comfort of their colleagues. And, naturally, many don’t want to return……..

I suspect most black people go to work, hang out with co-workers, and have no issues. This article is looking for victimhood in an area where there is none. There are much bigger fish to fry out there.

There are much bigger fish to fry out there.
    Yeah, like CRT and transgender athletes! Addressing scourges like those will vault Louisiana from the bottom five in nearly every objectively favorable metric all the way to the top!

Yeah, like CRT and transgender athletes! Addressing scourges like those will vault Louisiana from the bottom five in nearly every objectively favorable metric all the way to the top!
    CRT is a theoretical philosophical position and I happen to agree with it. A Western nation designed and run by Western people is likely founded on Western values. This is the conclusion made by CRT folks and I agree with them.

Transgender females competing with biological females in sports that require greater size and physical strength is problematic. It is what it is!

This is really interesting: Why there’s a separate World Chess Championship for women? This is all about brain power------an area where men and women are 100% equal and yet they have separate championships. Could you explain that one?

I suspect most black people go to work, hang out with co-workers, and have no issues. This article is looking for victimhood in an area where there is none. There are much bigger fish to fry out there.

I can’t speak for anyone else but I love it when non black people tell black people what they should and shouldn’t be offended by

I also suspect that many of the black people you think go to work, hang out with co-workers and have no issues…..have some issues.

Just know better than to bring the issues to work

Or, know better than to discuss the issues with people who will tell them to ‘quit whining, don’t you know how much better you have it than your grandparents?’

Again, as always, you think the issue isn’t with the people perpetuating all these micro aggressions, it’s with the people who are bothered by them

Last edited:
    I can’t speak for anyone else but I love it when non black people tell black people what they should and shouldn’t be offended by

I also suspect that many of the black people you think go to work, hang out with co-workers and have no issues…..have some issues.

Just know better to bring the issues to work

Or, know better than to discuss the issues with people who will tell them to ‘quit whining, don’t you know how much better you have it than your grandparents?’

Again, as always, you think the issue isn’t with the people perpetuating all these micro aggressions, it’s with the people who are bothered by them
    I think it is superficial to complain about not having or having to do hair when going to work. I could be wrong, but I think that complaint is over the top. But, you could be correct, maybe there is something I am missing.

I think it is superficial to complain about not having or having to do hair when going to work. I could be wrong, but I think that complaint is over the top. But, you could be correct, maybe there is something I am missing.

This tells me that you have zero idea what you are talking about and should probably shut up and listen when some of the posters who have lived this stuff (or have family that has lived it) share their stories.

Excellent article that could have also gone into the CRT thread

These paragraphs also illustrate the same theory that @Paul keeps bringing up

Minorities : we experience racism every day

Whites: there was no racism until minorities kept talking about racism
    =====================
    ………In interviews, children of color in Traverse City reported enduring years of harassment in the classroom and on the playing field.

Black, Native American and LGBTQ students said casual racism, sexism and homophobia form part of daily life. Some White children said they have witnessed this, too.

The Snapchat incident was unsurprising to them: “I was more surprised that somebody found out about it and it got to the news,” said Eve Mosqueda, 15, who is Native American and Mexican, adding that other kids throughout elementary school had asked her if she lived in a teepee.

But White parents say their hometown was never racist — at least not until an obsession with race began infecting the school system through its embrace of CRT, an allegation school officials have denied.

Now, these parents say, their children are coming home from school feeling ostracized for their conservatism and worried they must adhere to a liberal agenda to earn good grades on their assignments.

The parents declined to make their children available for interviews, saying the students were either not interested or feared being labeled racist for sharing their beliefs.

“We don’t, not even for a second, think about race,” said Darcie Pickren, 67, a vocal leader of the anti-CRT movement who is White, with Irish and Native American ancestry, and two of whose children graduated from the school system.

“We never would. And I think that this is opening a can of worms and we are not going to be able to go back.”……….

Estelle, who is White, recalls feeling horrified. She could not understand why anyone would think it was funny to suggest owning their Black classmates.

Then she thought about the girl at school — one of the only students of color in Estelle’s grade — whom kids called “Lilo” instead of her real name, because they said the girl’s dark skin made her look like the Hawaiian protagonist of the movie “Lilo and Stitch.”

Eden, who is also White, thought about the boys in her math class. The ones who sat behind her and whispered “niagra” to each other as a stand-in for the n-word, to avoid getting in trouble with the teacher.

She thought about the kid who used “gay” as an insult, and the students who asked her why she was wearing rainbow colors, then put their thumbs down when she explained it was Pride Month and she wanted to support her LGBTQ friends……

Then her mother’s name was called. Eden walked to the podium and tucked her long brown hair behind her ears.

Her voice muffled slightly by a black mask, she told the listening adults about the boys whispering “niagra.” She told about the kids who refuse to sit next to LGBTQ students on the bus, for fear they will somehow catch their peers’ gender identities or sexual orientations.

“At school there are a lot of racist and homophobic kids,” Eden said. “And I’m glad that people are starting to do something about it, because it’s a problem.”……..

Many White parents in Traverse City agree.

They say their hometown, although imperfect, is not a racist place, and they are not racist people.

They say the Snapchat group chat is an isolated incident that is being weaponized by activists to paint an entire community as prejudiced, which they think is unfair.

They say the school system is buckling to political pressure by pursuing initiatives like the equity resolution that inject race into every setting — when all that will do is spur more division……

Whenever a racist incident is publicized again minorities say “happens every day” and whites are desperate to portray it as an isolated incident committed by either “bad apples” or a few people who “don’t know any better”

here is the Snapchat incident from the above article
    ==============
    TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. — Nevaeh Wharton was busy with homework one evening in late April when her phone pinged with a warning. A friend had texted to say something disgusting was happening in a private Snapchat group chat.

When the 16-year-old woke the next morning, another message was waiting for her: She had been discussed in the group. Pretty soon the whole story trickled out.

A group of mostly White students attending two of Traverse City’s high schools, including Nevaeh’s, had held a mock slave auction on the social media app, “trading” their Black peers for money.

“I know how much I was sold for: one hundred dollars,” said Nevaeh, who is half-Black. “And in the end I was given away for free” — to the friend who first warned her about the group.

The Snapchat group, titled “slave trade,” also saw a student share the messages “all blacks should die” and “let’s start another holocaust,” according to screenshots obtained by The Washington Post.

It spurred the fast-tracking of a school equity resolution that condemned racism and vowed Traverse City Area Public Schools would better educate its overwhelmingly White student body and teaching staff on how to live in a diverse country.

But what happened over the next two months revealed how a town grappling with an undeniable incident of racism can serve as fertile ground for the ongoing national war over whether racism is embedded in American society………

Nevaeh, who was “traded” to a person she thought was a friend in the Snapchat group, has another reason for thinking her peers should be ready to hear the difficult truths about America’s past, especially its history of enslaving Black people.

“I feel like if I’m old enough to experience this kind of thing,” she said, “I feel like other people are old enough to learn about this entire thing.”…….

Excellent article that could have also gone into the CRT thread

These paragraphs also illustrate the same theory that @Paul keeps bringing up

Minorities : we experience racism every day

Whites: there was no racism until minorities kept talking about racism
    =====================
    ………In interviews, children of color in Traverse City reported enduring years of harassment in the classroom and on the playing field.

Black, Native American and LGBTQ students said casual racism, sexism and homophobia form part of daily life. Some White children said they have witnessed this, too.

The Snapchat incident was unsurprising to them: “I was more surprised that somebody found out about it and it got to the news,” said Eve Mosqueda, 15, who is Native American and Mexican, adding that other kids throughout elementary school had asked her if she lived in a teepee.

But White parents say their hometown was never racist — at least not until an obsession with race began infecting the school system through its embrace of CRT, an allegation school officials have denied.

Now, these parents say, their children are coming home from school feeling ostracized for their conservatism and worried they must adhere to a liberal agenda to earn good grades on their assignments.

The parents declined to make their children available for interviews, saying the students were either not interested or feared being labeled racist for sharing their beliefs.

“We don’t, not even for a second, think about race,” said Darcie Pickren, 67, a vocal leader of the anti-CRT movement who is White, with Irish and Native American ancestry, and two of whose children graduated from the school system.

“We never would. And I think that this is opening a can of worms and we are not going to be able to go back.”……….

Estelle, who is White, recalls feeling horrified. She could not understand why anyone would think it was funny to suggest owning their Black classmates.

Then she thought about the girl at school — one of the only students of color in Estelle’s grade — whom kids called “Lilo” instead of her real name, because they said the girl’s dark skin made her look like the Hawaiian protagonist of the movie “Lilo and Stitch.”

Eden, who is also White, thought about the boys in her math class. The ones who sat behind her and whispered “niagra” to each other as a stand-in for the n-word, to avoid getting in trouble with the teacher.

She thought about the kid who used “gay” as an insult, and the students who asked her why she was wearing rainbow colors, then put their thumbs down when she explained it was Pride Month and she wanted to support her LGBTQ friends……

Then her mother’s name was called. Eden walked to the podium and tucked her long brown hair behind her ears.

Her voice muffled slightly by a black mask, she told the listening adults about the boys whispering “niagra.” She told about the kids who refuse to sit next to LGBTQ students on the bus, for fear they will somehow catch their peers’ gender identities or sexual orientations.

“At school there are a lot of racist and homophobic kids,” Eden said. “And I’m glad that people are starting to do something about it, because it’s a problem.”……..

Many White parents in Traverse City agree.

They say their hometown, although imperfect, is not a racist place, and they are not racist people.

They say the Snapchat group chat is an isolated incident that is being weaponized by activists to paint an entire community as prejudiced, which they think is unfair.

They say the school system is buckling to political pressure by pursuing initiatives like the equity resolution that inject race into every setting — when all that will do is spur more division……

This is incredibly bad. And if the story is true this is much more racist that anything I have ever seen including the death of George Floyd. It may not seem as bad because no one died, but the intent to cause harm and the racism was totally over the top.

Last edited:
    This is incredibly bad. And if the story is true this is much more racist that anything I have ever seen including the death of George Floyd. It may not sen as bad because no one died, but the intent to cause harm and the racism was totally over the top.
    I dunno, just seems to me like it really wouldn’t be that racist if the girl just didn’t get so offended.

Article on who really benefits from racism and racial politics

I thought there was going to be a bigger outrage about the banks and mortgages
    ==================================

Jamie Dimon, chief executive of JPMorgan Chase, took a knee last week before cameras at a branch of his bank. Larry Fink, CEO of giant investment fund BlackRock, decried racial bias. Starbucks vowed on Twitter to “stand in solidarity with our Black partners, customers and communities.” Goldman Sachs chairman and CEO David Solomon wrote on LinkedIn that he grieved “for the lives of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and countless other victims of racism.”

And so on across the highest reaches of corporate America, an outpouring of solidarity with those protesting brutal police killings of black Americans and systemic racism.

But most of this is for show.

JPMorgan has made it difficult for black people to get mortgage loans. In 2017, the bank paid $55 million to settle a justice department lawsuit accusing it of discriminating against minority borrowers. Researchers have found banks routinely charge black mortgage borrowers higher interest rates than white borrowers and deny them mortgages white applicants would have received.

BlackRock is one of the biggest investors in private prisons, disproportionately incarcerating black and Latino men.

Starbucks has prohibited baristas from wearing Black Lives Matter attire and for years has struggled with racism in its stores as managers accuse black patrons of trespassing and deny them bathrooms to which white patrons have access..........

This goes beyond mere hypocrisy. America’s top CEOs have amassed more wealth and power than at any time since the “robber barons” of the late 19th century – enough to get legislative outcomes they want and organize the system for their own benefit.

These new robber barons know that as long as racial animosity exists, white and black Americans are less likely to look upward and see where the wealth and power really has gone.

They’re less likely to notice that the market is rigged against them all. They’ll cling to the meritocratic myth that they’re paid what they’re “worth” in the market and that the obstacles they face are of their own making rather than an unjust system.

Racism reduces the odds they will join together to threaten that system.

This is not a new strategy. Throughout history, the rich have used racism to divide people and thereby entrench themselves.

Half a century ago, Martin Luther King Jr. observed much the same about the old southern aristocracy, which “took the world and gave the poor white man Jim Crow. And when his wrinkled stomach cried out for the food that his empty pockets could not provide, he ate Jim Crow, a psychological bird that told him that no matter how bad off he was, at least he was a white man, better than the black man.”..................

Article on who really benefits from racism and racial politics

I thought there was going to be a bigger outrage about the banks and mortgages
    ==================================

Jamie Dimon, chief executive of JPMorgan Chase, took a knee last week before cameras at a branch of his bank. Larry Fink, CEO of giant investment fund BlackRock, decried racial bias. Starbucks vowed on Twitter to “stand in solidarity with our Black partners, customers and communities.” Goldman Sachs chairman and CEO David Solomon wrote on LinkedIn that he grieved “for the lives of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and countless other victims of racism.”

And so on across the highest reaches of corporate America, an outpouring of solidarity with those protesting brutal police killings of black Americans and systemic racism.

But most of this is for show.

JPMorgan has made it difficult for black people to get mortgage loans. In 2017, the bank paid $55 million to settle a justice department lawsuit accusing it of discriminating against minority borrowers. Researchers have found banks routinely charge black mortgage borrowers higher interest rates than white borrowers and deny them mortgages white applicants would have received.

BlackRock is one of the biggest investors in private prisons, disproportionately incarcerating black and Latino men.

Starbucks has prohibited baristas from wearing Black Lives Matter attire and for years has struggled with racism in its stores as managers accuse black patrons of trespassing and deny them bathrooms to which white patrons have access..........

This goes beyond mere hypocrisy. America’s top CEOs have amassed more wealth and power than at any time since the “robber barons” of the late 19th century – enough to get legislative outcomes they want and organize the system for their own benefit.

These new robber barons know that as long as racial animosity exists, white and black Americans are less likely to look upward and see where the wealth and power really has gone.

They’re less likely to notice that the market is rigged against them all. They’ll cling to the meritocratic myth that they’re paid what they’re “worth” in the market and that the obstacles they face are of their own making rather than an unjust system.

Racism reduces the odds they will join together to threaten that system.

This is not a new strategy. Throughout history, the rich have used racism to divide people and thereby entrench themselves.

Half a century ago, Martin Luther King Jr. observed much the same about the old southern aristocracy, which “took the world and gave the poor white man Jim Crow. And when his wrinkled stomach cried out for the food that his empty pockets could not provide, he ate Jim Crow, a psychological bird that told him that no matter how bad off he was, at least he was a white man, better than the black man.”..................

That is why I never fill out the race classification question in many application forms. The information is used for risk assessment.

The unabashed racism of Trump supporters that the right wing claim doesn't exist in America in full display on Jan 6th.

Article on increase in minority home schooling and teacher/classmate racism as a reason why
    ========================

………What is driving the shift is difficult to parse, because of the dearth of research that focuses on Black, Latino and Asian families.

But previous studies of Black home schooling families found they were often pushed out of traditional school systems when their children encountered racist treatment in the classroom.

In interviews, Latino families expressed similar concerns. And Asian families sought to influence their children’s cultural education.

In many cases, the migration from mainstream education shows the rising fears among parents of color that schools are failing their children, and the growing awareness of racial disparities in the treatment and outcomes for children of color.

Despite aspiring to be “the great equalizer,” inequality is still deeply embedded in the nation’s public schools system, with yawning achievement gaps marking the performance between White and Asian students and Black and Latino ones.

For parents already frustrated with their child’s education, the pandemic provided another reason to give home schooling a try……

Khadijah Z. Ali-Coleman, a scholar who is now working on a book about Black home schooling, said many Black parents fear that some traditional public schools will exact a mental and psychological toll on their children.

“When we talk about being in spaces where our histories are continuously distorted or ignored, where a child cannot see themselves or their ancestors in the retellings of stories on how things have been created or develop, that is an assault on your mental state,” Ali-Coleman said. “Home schooling becomes a safe space.”……..

Last edited:

When I taught at UC Berkeley in the 1990s, it was an open secret that there was a two-tier undergraduate student body. Namely, black and Latino students tended to be considerably less prepared for the workload than white and Asian students.

No one talked about it openly, but plenty attested to it when they were sure the wall didn’t have ears, and to notice it was not racist – it was simple fact. Of course there were weak white and Asian students; of course there were excellent black and Latino students. But a tendency was unmistakable. It was painfully obvious that brown students were admitted according to very different standards than white and Asian ones.

Proposition 209 barred racial preferences of that kind in the UC system as of 1998, and of course, fewer brown students were admitted to the flagship schools Berkeley and UCLA after that. There were still plenty of brown students – the “resegregation” so many furiously predicted never happened. But not as many as before. And there has remained, for almost a quarter century now, a contingent who have never gotten over thinking UC would be better by going back to the way it was.

First there was the addition of a “hardship” bonus to the admissions procedure, with standards relaxed for applicants who could attest to having faced obstacles to achievement such as the death of a parent or serious illness. Formally this was supposed to apply to kids of all races. But immediately evaluators started weighting black and Latino hardship heavier than that suffered by white and Asian kids, as in rejecting an Asian applicant who had gone through the same kinds of hardship as a Latino one who was admitted.

I criticized this in the media, and will never forget when the suits assigned a kind, academically accomplished administrator to take me to lunch to “talk to me.” The poor man did his duty and … sat there lying to me. I genuinely felt sorry for him. But this showed how impenetrably committed to antiracism – or at least what they think is antiracism – these admissions officials are.

But even this kind of thing hasn’t been able to return Berkeley and UCLA to the good old days of having a “representative” number of brown students (apparently “representative” means in lockstep with their proportion of the state population). The problem is that pesky SAT, and at last, UC has gotten rid of it. The SAT will no longer be used to evaluate students for admission or even for scholarships.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom